TSN: Garrioch: Boucher going nowhere

Status
Not open for further replies.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
"I think Guy did a very good job this year"
- Pierre Dorion, on Sens coach Guy Boucher, today on Sportsnet during 2nd intermission of Bruins-Lightning game

Before anyone gets their knickers in a twist over this quote, if you heard it live, it sounded like typical PR talk and Dorion's penchant for never saying negative things about the organization ever, and not a vote of confidence in Boucher, so take it with a big ol grain of salt.

Philadelphia Collins

May 31, 2011
Don’t know how I feel about giving Boucher 20+ games next season before inevitably firing him. The team has no 1st rounder, gotta bank on that new coach bounce into the playoffs this team always gets lol

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
damn, is that a sign he is sticking around?

It’s a sign Dorion wasn’t happy with Boucher this year, but is willing to give him another chance if he promises to be less stubborn and play younger guys.

I’m betting Dorion will tell Boucher we’re going with a younger team next year, so if he’s here he’d better play those guys.
No mor Oduya, Thompson and Burrows going forward. I’m assuming Burrows is bought out.

He might also want Boucher to be less stubborn in regards to the way we play. Open it up more and try to generate more offence.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I'm not a Boucher fan at all, but there's really no point in firing him now. If we were to do it, it should've been a week or so after the regular season ended, to give both parties maximum opportunity to pursue other options.

Plus, it would be interesting to see if he can adjust, and how the team will respond. We should have a healthy lineup to start the season next year (I don't consider Gaborik anything more than a replaceable 12th forward), and if everyone returns, we should be able to start off relatively well.

Ottawa is such an odd team. We have some high-end talent in Erik, Hoff, Stone, Duchene. We have a decent stable of kids. We have some grit/glue guys. Up until last year, we had decent goaltending. In theory, we should be at least a bubble team.

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
I feel like Guy gets 30 games next season, however, if Dorion sees he isn't the coach to execute his vision, I do believe he'd fire him.

Melnyk is cheap but he's also been burning bridges. 800k lost on a coach for a huge PR campaign you don't even have to organize or fund would do him wonders in returning to the shadows.

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
It’s a sign Dorion wasn’t happy with Boucher this year, but is willing to give him another chance if he promises to be less stubborn and play younger guys.

I’m betting Dorion will tell Boucher we’re going with a younger team next year, so if he’s here he’d better play those guys.
No mor Oduya, Thompson and Burrows going forward. I’m assuming Burrows is bought out.

He might also want Boucher to be less stubborn in regards to the way we play. Open it up more and try to generate more offence.

"I want you to be a completely different coach"

hire a new f***ing coach Dorion lmao

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
Full disclosure, I’m not a Sens fan.

Does it seem to anyone else like Dorion is simply trying to distance himself from Boucher while not actually firing him?

The comments about rest is a weapon seemed unprofessional - keep your dirty laundry in house. Fire him or don’t. Coaches get more praise when they are actually shown the door.

Seems like real CYA stuff from Dorion.

Fandlauer

Apr 23, 2013
Ottawa unless it becomes a disaster

Does it seem to anyone else like Dorion is simply trying to distance himself from Boucher while not actually firing him?

The comments about rest is a weapon seemed unprofessional - keep your dirty laundry in house. Fire him or don’t. Coaches get more praise when they are actually shown the door.

Ya, it was certainly bush league. I have no issues with Dorion saying that behind closed doors, but to trash your coach then keep him on is ridiculous. The GM publicly undermining the coach is just another log on the tire fire that this organization has become.

There's no real point in firing him. We aren't going to get anyone better willing to work for peanuts wallowing around in the bargain bin.

Reactions: Tighthead

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon

I had no issues with the comments Dorion made about Boucher. Guy is obviously a very stubborn coach and they've both referred to some disagreements they've had in the past, so I highly doubt this was a surprise to Guy.

Satoru Gojo

Jan 15, 2012
The upgrades over Boucher that are out there are Vigneault, Sutter, and Tippett

Doubt the team will pay for one of those guys so you gotta figure Boucher is staying

pzeeman

May 15, 2013
Aylmer
I think today's meeting is likely a follow up where the decision will be made.

At Boucher's exit interview, he was probably told "This is what we want out of the team next year. Here are your likely personnel. You have until the end of the first round to figure out how you're going to do it." Today's meeting is likely where Boucher presents his plan, along with the likelihood of it succeeding. If he makes Dorion happy, he'll keep his job. If he doesn't, or throws up his hands and says he can't, then he's gone.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
When Pierre Dorion took over as GM, a few years back, he proclaimed "why not win now"!!

So he brought in a coach to "win now" and made TDD acquisitions to help with the "win now" plan ....... the Boucher brought them to the conference finals, within one goal of the SCFs.

At the beginning of last season .......... there was to re-build under way..........no re-tooling ......... it was still "win now" mode and Boucher coached under that mandate.

He was NOT tasked with bringing in young players, and play and develop them at the NHL level ... and he played the older players that Dorion brought in (Odoya, Thompson ect) ..... to "win now"

Then the wheels fell of the "win now" bandwagon, and the GM began to unload as many older players he could in the run up to the TD ....... and the "win now" plan was a distant memory........... and Boucher was then tasked to play the call ups from Belleville, so that management could assess what they had in their system, and were these player were at.

I don't blame Boucher for coaching in "win now" mode for his first season and a half as head coach ............he was following the direction coming from the GM.

So now it obvious that the plan is something along the lines of a re-tool or re-build, and playing the younger players ........ and Boucher will do what his GM will be asking of him ......... and will be motivated by the fact that he's in his last year of his contract.

Reactions: thinkwild
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad