TSN: Garrioch: Boucher going nowhere

Status
Not open for further replies.

BloodRedArmy

Nov 29, 2013
Bytown
(Paraphrasing) "I may be completely wrong, I don't know anything, but my feeling is that Guy Boucher isn't going anywhere during the season OR at season's end".

This was on the pre-game show before Sens Leafs Feb 10 on TSN1200.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Meh ,we have been firing coaches over and over again,maybe its time we change the players??

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
Meh ,we have been firing coaches over and over again,maybe its time we change the players??

This is kind of my thought.

We've had so many coaches and coaches that implemented different styles, yet we still have a make the playoffs year followed by a miss the playoffs year. At what point do we think there is an issue with the players and not the coach?

Or is there an issue beyond that. But to me, it seems that it isn't as simple as fire the coach and it will all be fixed.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
They had better hope Andy and Erik return to their normal selves or it'll be another lost season next year.

Reactions: robsenz

pzeeman

May 15, 2013
Aylmer
They had better hope Andy and Erik return to their normal selves or it'll be another lost season next year.
I have no doubt that 65 will be much closer to his normal self next year (not 12/8 on July 1 confident, but still).

I am worried that we are looking at the new Anderson.

BloodRedArmy

Nov 29, 2013
Bytown
The funny thing is that there's a good chance coach Q will be available this offseason. A legit, bonafide NHL coach. But Melnyk would never pony up for that, and Dorion will stick with his guy.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Why's that? Its more like 2 bad seasons though by Boucher since he didn't accomplish his promise of providing a better power play, special teams in general and playing with speed in either of his seasons behind the bench.

There is no way you can consider our 2016-2017 season bad.

Boucher has some major warts but he is 1-1. Firing him now would be silly.

Reactions: coladin

Sensfanatic

Nov 8, 2014
I suspect Dorion will hear significant criticism of the coach during the exit interviews. He may decide to get rid of all the players who vocalize this and keep the coach, who knows with this clown show of an organization.

Boucher's system is too rigid and unsustainable (not to mention soul crushing).

This is why his historical shelf life is 1 season.

We should keep firing coaches until management realizes that hiring one with an established NHL pedigree is a value added proposition.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa

Choosing a coach we wants to play passive and can't fulfil his duties on special teams would be silly. We have 2 seasons of that. Do you really think he can coach any other way?

Choosing a coach who doesn't want rookies or young players on the ice would be silly, especially for a franchise that just said they want to build on their youth and who plays on a budget.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Choosing a coach we wants to play passive and can't fulfil his duties on special teams would be silly. We have 2 seasons of that. Do you really think he can coach any other way?

Boucher seems to be one of those "short shelf-life" coaches.

I think he is signed for another year. Giving him the opportunity to correct course is sensible.

You hate everything about management. That is fine, your call to make, but you should recognize your bias.

Not that I am 100% correct but he has one more year and no one who could be seen as a clear cut upgrade is available. Firing him now wouldn't make much sense.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Boucher seems to be one of those "short shelf-life" coaches.

I think he is signed for another year. Giving him the opportunity to correct course is sensible.

You hate everything about management. That is fine, your call to make, but you should recognize your bias.
There's nothing sensible about expecting something to change that has been one way for years. There's absolutely no reason to believe Boucher will change anything about how he operates. There's no downside to bringing in New blood.

I know it won't happen, but it should. Anyways we'll see who replaces Boucher next year in November or December.

Reactions: lancepitlick

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
This is kind of my thought.

We've had so many coaches and coaches that implemented different styles, yet we still have a make the playoffs year followed by a miss the playoffs year. At what point do we think there is an issue with the players and not the coach?

Or is there an issue beyond that. But to me, it seems that it isn't as simple as fire the coach and it will all be fixed.

We have changed the players.

How many current players played for Murray?
How many current players played for paddock?
How many current players played for hartsburg?
How many current players played for clouston?
How many current players played for MacLean?
How many current players played for Cameron?

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
Boucher may not be going anywhere but I feel like there could be a change in assistant coach. PD may bring in someone else to fix either the d-zone coverage or the power play. Someone who could step in if they let Boucher go mid-season.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009

There is no way you can count our 2016-2017 regular season as good. We got out played, outshot, and barely held on for a playoff spot with a negative goal differential in a league where most teams make the playoffs.

Did we have a good playoffs for a month or two? Yeah.

Did we have a good regular season? If you don't count the bad half, then sure? But we count the bad half too.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Maybe they are waiting to see if any other ‘real’ coaches get turfed this summer.

That is no doubt what is happening. For this first time ever, no coaches have been fired this season.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Well, it seems like the conversation around here is going to get pretty streamlined, at least as far as predicting the short-to-medium term future of the org is concerned.

Dorion is staying. Seems like Boucher is too. Only thing left for us to debate is player movement now.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
Now that Dorion is secure I have little doubt that Boucher is here for the rest of the year. Boucher is also here next year as long as the team stays in the running. Lets hope Dorion doesn't jump the gun by extending Boucher too early next season even if all goes well.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
We've won 63 games under Boucher.
We've lost 73 games under Boucher.
Our goal differential is -46 under Boucher.

That doesn't look like one good season and one bad season added up. That's an mediocre season added to a putrid season.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Now that Dorion is secure I have little doubt that Boucher is here for the rest of the year. Boucher is also here next year as long as the team stays in the running. Lets hope Dorion doesn't jump the gun by extending Boucher too early next season even if all goes well.
Dorion jump the gun and extend someone? That would never happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad