Confirmed with Link: Garret Sparks signs a 1 year 2-way contract

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
Now we just need his competition, which is looking more like a PTO or a trade by the day. If it was Enroth or another guy on a guaranteed contract, why isn't he signed by now? I get priority #1 is probably Matthews and the RFA's, but still. If he's your guy you don't want to lose him either.

it's only mid july those goalies at this point are probably not willing to sign a small one year deal yet that probably wont happen till mid august.

Parkdale

Jan 14, 2013
Toronto
We were a bad team all year...and he did let in quite a few soft goals. I don't think we're going to put in Sparks behind Andersen. Bank on a legit back up coming in.

I happened to catch the last part of the Anaheim - Leaf game on Leafs TV last night. Andersen and Sparks were the 2 goalies in a game won by the Leafs. Based on this small sample, Sparks did not look too bad in comparison to Andersen. It was hard to see who is the Leaf goalie of the future and someone not even considered yet his backup. But I still trust this management.

Xscout*

Feb 9, 2014
I happened to catch the last part of the Anaheim - Leaf game on Leafs TV last night. Andersen and Sparks were the 2 goalies in a game won by the Leafs. Based on this small sample, Sparks did not look too bad in comparison to Andersen. It was hard to see who is the Leaf goalie of the future and someone not even considered yet his backup. But I still trust this management.

1 game.
Sparks is a big maybe to even be a backup. (I still hold hope for an nhl career)
Ands is a more than likely #1.
Biiiig difference

Jeypic

Sep 12, 2015
Goaltenders typically don't reach their prime until mid-late 20s. I'm still excited to see where Sparks may go.

He stole my heart on this night:

Same. I like sparks. Seems like a great guy. Plus he helped get matthews. He's young, who knows what the future holds for him.

The Beyonder

Jan 16, 2007
He needs to work on following the puck better and improving his rebounds. He's athletic and quick, great glove as well, but on many occasions he loses sight of the puck or doesn't follow his rebound.

eddieO

Jan 9, 2013
The Beach
People are so quick to write off a 23 year old goalie but gave Bernier three years to "bounce back".

Good signing. He can maybe challenge for the backup role but I think they sign a capable vet.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I'm as sentimental as the next guy, but the fact remains that Sparks was deliberately used to secure the best odds at drafting Matthews last season. I hope he develops into an NHL calibre goaltender, but it seems like a longshot at this point.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
To loosely quote ray Ferraro, 'when I see Sparks, as a shooter, all I see are holes.'
He does not yet have the speed to move into position and close all the holes at the nhl level. Can he get there? I personally doubt it as he is 23 and no, imo, close.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
To loosely quote ray Ferraro, 'when I see Sparks, as a shooter, all I see are holes.'
He does not yet have the speed to move into position and close all the holes at the nhl level. Can he get there? I personally doubt it as he is 23 and no, imo, close.

Poor save selection and average at best at tracking the puck makes it unlikely that he is in the Organization past this season.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Seems fine. At the very least a good AHL guy and giving it a bit more time to see how he develops won't hurt anything. Another shot to see what happens.

Doesn't change the focus of getting an experienced backup for the NHL. Just some stability for the Marlies.

Mad Brills*

Poor save selection and average at best at tracking the puck makes it unlikely that he is in the Organization past this season.

Bibeau's worse.

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
Sparks has a lot of things to work on before he's NHL ready. He's big, but he still leaves the shooter plenty of net to shoot on. Reimer for example is a similar size but he covers so much more net. Sparks also has Bernier syndrome letting in easy goals and he plays with too much emotion. If he can fix these things in the minors this year then I think he'll earn a new contract, but this is very much a show me what you got type deal.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
He has a big pro frame but doesn't seem to have the talent or coordination or control to be much of an NHL goalie.

Mr Hockey*

He has a big pro frame but doesn't seem to have the talent or coordination or control to be much of an NHL goalie.

I honestly would like more gifted athletic goalie prospects, rather than just a big bodied guy.

Mad Brills*

the comments here a joke.

And yet no one talked bad about bibeau who was just as bad in the playoffs.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
These guys are average AHL goalies. Nothing wrong with them, just not NHL material so far. Let them work on their game another year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad