Gaming in Filmmaker Mode

FLYERSFAN18

May 31, 2008
Pennsylvania
I have been using Filmmaker mode on my Samsung Q80T for movies and TV(other than sports) the last couple of months and have really enjoyed the more realistic look to it. I play an Xbox Series X on the same tv but use game mode and have found that it looks much more cartoony (yes I know the are games). I haven’t played in a few weeks and when I booted it up I tried playing in filmmaker mode and liked the more “realistic” viewing it provided and didn’t notice much if any difference in input lag and frames per second.

Can anyone confirm what the input lag is in Filmmaker mode when playing with a XSX or PS5? As well as if VRR/4k 120 work in Filmmaker mode? Even if you don’t have the same exact brand or model TV I would be interested in your experiences. I have been searching on google but haven’t come up with any definitive answers.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
It depends on the tv, turning off vs turning on game mode is about 50-100 ms input lag. Its not a small amount, it really depends on the game you're playing how much you notice it. Its probably gonna be noticeable in any fighting game or shooter. The actual picture mode makes no difference as far as I know.

Reactions: SniperHF

FLYERSFAN18

May 31, 2008
Pennsylvania
It depends on the tv, turning off vs turning on game mode is about 50-100 ms input lag. Its not a small amount, it really depends on the game you're playing how much you notice it. Its probably gonna be noticeable in any fighting game or shooter. The actual picture mode makes no difference as far as I know.
Thanks for the reply!

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Generally speaking, ALLM, the toolset used to reduce latency to its lowest levels on modern consoles, only works in Game mode.

VRR is a case-by-case basis. In some cases, like on my LG G2, turning on VRR in Filmmaker mode greys out a bunch of options in the settings. So it's useable, but when it's so limited, I may as well just use Game mode.

AS far as the 'cartoony' look, Game mode is often calibrated out of the box with higher contrast and brightness. I'd recommend writing down (or using your phone to take screenshots) of all the out of the box settings in that mode, then fiddle as you see fit to try and reign in the picture. Worst case scenario, you reset them all to default and try again.

Reactions: FLYERSFAN18

FLYERSFAN18

May 31, 2008
Pennsylvania
Generally speaking, ALLM, the toolset used to reduce latency to its lowest levels on modern consoles, only works in Game mode.

VRR is a case-by-case basis. In some cases, like on my LG G2, turning on VRR in Filmmaker mode greys out a bunch of options in the settings. So it's useable, but when it's so limited, I may as well just use Game mode.

AS far as the 'cartoony' look, Game mode is often calibrated out of the box with higher contrast and brightness. I'd recommend writing down (or using your phone to take screenshots) of all the out of the box settings in that mode, then fiddle as you see fit to try and reign in the picture. Worst case scenario, you reset them all to default and try again.
Thanks for the explanation. I guess maybe I’ll stick with game mode but I’ll adjust the color saturation and tone to be closer to the filmmaker mode.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad