Games you never played but wish you had

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan
Maybe it's because you had no money, or because it was an exclusive or maybe it was just before your time... but what games have you always wanted to play but never got the chance?

I've never had a good PC, but love strategy games... so Dawn of War 2, Company of Heroes 2 and most of the Total War series for me.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I've exclusively had an XBOX since about 2004 so all the best exclusives on Nintendo and PlayStation.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Panzer Dragoon Saga will always be the one that got away for me. I didn't have a Saturn when it came out (I was 11 at the time), and my absolute limit on spending on a game is hundreds below what a copy costs now. Plus I'm pretty sure the source code was lost, so any re-release would have to be a remake...which I just never see happening.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Everything I’ve played I’ve got really. And the ones I don’t I never wanted

More times I’ve watched. Until Dawn is one of them. A couple more but can’t remember

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan
Panzer Dragoon Saga will always be the one that got away for me. I didn't have a Saturn when it came out (I was 11 at the time), and my absolute limit on spending on a game is hundreds below what a copy costs now. Plus I'm pretty sure the source code was lost, so any re-release would have to be a remake...which I just never see happening.

Just looked on ebay, and yikes... that's some outlay for a video game!

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
I have been a Playstation loyalist my entire gaming career since PS1 was released...

I wish I could have played the Gears of War series.. I played it a handful of times messing around at a buddy's house, but it's really one of those games that you have to sink time into to be good.

I am also yet to play Chrono Trigger... I played through Chrono Cross several times, but I've always heard that Trigger is even better.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Chrono Cross is a mess compared to Chrono Trigger, IMO

I haven't gotten around to playing Bioshock yet because I don't like first person shooters very much. The praise it gets artistically intrigues me, though.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I have been a Playstation loyalist my entire gaming career since PS1 was released...

I wish I could have played the Gears of War series.. I played it a handful of times messing around at a buddy's house, but it's really one of those games that you have to sink time into to be good.

I am also yet to play Chrono Trigger... I played through Chrono Cross several times, but I've always heard that Trigger is even better.

They are two very different games. Trigger is just a masterpiece t

Chrono Cross is a mess compared to Chrono Trigger, IMO

I haven't gotten around to playing Bioshock yet because I don't like first person shooters very much. The praise it gets artistically intrigues me, though.

I dunno. I think Chrono Cross is a great game but Trigger is a masterpiece. Its not really fair to compare anything to that game.

For me, a lot of Nintendo games, mainly Ocarina of Time & Majora's Mask.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
I didn't really think like that, but maybe some of the games on the early generations of consoles I never had. Example: Mario

In hindsight while being 60 hours deep into Persona 5, I kind of wish I had played the earlier Persona games. Does that count? :laugh:

Last edited:

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Honestly, not a single one. I’ve been pretty fortunate to have played everything I wanted to. I had pretty much every console and still have them today, maybe I’ll post a pic of my collection some time, including Panzer Dragoon Saga ;)

But there are some settings I wished I played some games in. I wish I could have played Street Fighter 3&4 in Japan during the height of their popularity.

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
They are two very different games. Trigger is just a masterpiece t

I dunno. I think Chrono Cross is a great game but Trigger is a masterpiece. Its not really fair to compare anything to that game.

For me, a lot of Nintendo games, mainly Ocarina of Time & Majora's Mask.
That's partly what I meant. It's an alright, above average game in general, but playing Chrono Trigger makes its narrative feel very weak and flimsy in comparison.

Reactions: Gardner McKay

Randallooch

Sep 4, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Demon's Souls.

I wish From was doing a remaster of that instead of Dark Souls 1, but I'm invested either way. My SoulsBorne experience was weird. I started with Bloodborne, then Dark Souls 2, then Dark Souls 3, then Dark Souls 1.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
That's partly what I meant. It's an alright, above average game in general, but playing Chrono Trigger makes its narrative feel very weak and flimsy in comparison.
You guys are really selling me on Trigger, as I enjoyed Cross quite a lot.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
KOTR, I played it yeeeears ago, but my buddies Xbox couldn't save for some reason or another so I got about 8 hours in and that was it. Never really got the opportunity until recently, and I won't buy it, it has not aged well unfortunately

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I keep seeing the Civ VI thread on this board. I played Civ and Civ II a ton in high school and early into college. My cousin bought me Civ III during my third year of college. I purposefully left it at his house since I knew if I got started it'd take me away from studying. After that, my computer always seemed a generation behind to be able to run the later iterations. And from what I recall from Civ III, the game got a little too complicated for my taste. I'll still pop in Civ II from time to time for some mindless fun.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
You guys are really selling me on Trigger, as I enjoyed Cross quite a lot.

There are so many different ways to play Chrono Trigger that it's really easy to do. I played it a bit a couple years after it came out and remembered liking it a lot but never finished it. I started it again like 10 years after it came out and plowed through it that time, I didn't want to stop. It definitely is one of the best RPGs of all time.

WarriorOfGandhi

Was saying Boo-urns
Jul 31, 2007
Denver, CO
I've played Smash, but I only started as an adult because only one of my friends had it for 64 and I never played with him that much. I'm really good at MarioKart and Goldeneye because I sunk so many thousands of hours into them as a kid; now whenever I play Smash I can never get the timing down, let alone the timing for Melee.

Retrocity

The Ninja
Sep 5, 2007
Pittsburgh
I always wanted to get the broadband modem and a copy of Phantasy Star Online for GameCube. I seem to remember it being really hard to find the modem. I had friends that played it on Dreamcast and then I believe one of my friends did find the modem for GameCube and bought a copy of the game. Just always looked fun and this was when my online RPG experience was early Runescape and Ragnorok online.

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
There are so many different ways to play Chrono Trigger that it's really easy to do. I played it a bit a couple years after it came out and remembered liking it a lot but never finished it. I started it again like 10 years after it came out and plowed through it that time, I didn't want to stop. It definitely is one of the best RPGs of all time.
There are other RPGs that can contend with it (I have trouble deciding between the SNES holy trinity of it, Earthbound, and Final Fantasy VI, personally), but (while I prefer the themes/style of the other two more) Chrono Trigger is probably the most fun/accessible and difficult to find fault in.

Last edited:

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I wish I had finished Ni No Kuni. I started it a few years ago when I was sick with the flu. Once I got better life took over and I never finished it. Was maybe 20% into the game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->