Games you are currently playing: ROUND SIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
To each their own but it's by definition hindsight. You are playing a game that's 10 years old and criticizing 10 year old gameplay that has been expanded on immensely in the past decade.
I think you were expecting something completely different than what you got that that's weighing heavily on your criticisms. Again, this is due to hindsight.
I think you thought you were getting an RPG first, shooter second, story third game. Or that's at least what you wanted but hindsight proved that wrong.

First, you're making a lot of assumptions. You don't know what I've been playing for the last 10 years and if I've been playing games that took ME's gameplay and improved upon it (I haven't). You also don't know what I was expecting. The ME games are largely what I was expecting, which is why I stayed away from them.

Second, your definition of hindsight is incorrect. The way that you're using it, any bad review of something is "hindsight" because one has to look back on it to criticize it. You can literally dismiss any criticism that you don't like hearing by accusing the reviewer of your definition of hindsight, which is awfully convenient.

I get that you want to defend the games, but don't make assumptions about what I've played or what I expected so that you can dismiss my criticisms. You're welcome to disregard them because we have different tastes, but they're valid for those who share my tastes.

Last edited:

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
Had to travel for work last week so I installed Medieval 2: Total War on my laptop and forgot how much they got right with that game. When I got back Friday, I installed it on my PC, unpacked the files (to turn down the heretic spawn rate) and played it for like 15 hours this weekend... It's probably my favorite total war.

Going to re-download stainless steal after I finish my current (vanilla-ish) campaign.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Well while everyone is playing the new expansion, I finally booted up vanilla XCOM 2.

Enjoying it quite a lot.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
First, you're making a lot of assumptions. You don't know what I've been playing for the last 10 years and if I've been playing games that took ME's gameplay and improved upon it (I haven't). You also don't know what I was expecting. The ME games are largely what I was expecting, which is why I stayed away from them.

Second, your definition of hindsight is incorrect. The way that you're using it, any bad review of something is "hindsight" because one has to look back on it to criticize it. You can literally dismiss any criticism that you don't like hearing by accusing the reviewer of your definition of hindsight, which is awfully convenient.

I get that you want to defend the games, but don't make assumptions about what I've played or what I expected so that you can dismiss my criticisms. You're welcome to disregard them because we have different tastes, but they're valid for those who share my tastes.

You compare it to what you thought it would be or what it should be. I don't have to make any assumptions. You complain about it not being like a "real RPG" and you go on to say what you prefer in your shooter and RPG games. That explains a lot about how you view the game and why you view it the way you do without the need to assume anything.

It's still hindsight. You are playing a 10 year old game and comparing it to what you think it should be like based on other games you play / like to play.

You are 100% entitled to your opinion and I have respect for that. I am simply explaining to you WHY it was so popular in it's day and WHY it was such a revolutionary video game that was met with so much critical acclaim. You were complaining about how the masses viewed the game and didn't think it was as great as the recognition it got. I am just telling you why it did, and why it was deserving of that praise because AT THE TIME it was a revolutionary game. Thus, hindsight.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
ME2 is the only one of the series I consider truly special.

As far as OT...

I just finished a massive, platinum trophy seeking playthrough of the Zodiac Age. Truly one of the most underrated FFs in the series. Everything about TZA was wonderful to me.

Currently waiting on the big Diablo patch to go live so I can jump back in for a solid six months.

Recently beat Ori and the Blind Forest, too. Fantastic metroidvania experience.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
Well while everyone is playing the new expansion, I finally booted up vanilla XCOM 2.

Enjoying it quite a lot.

I guess I should amend my statement a bit.

XCOM ticks off so many boxes for me. I love the premise. The presentation is great. Music is awesome. Tactics gameplay with the character creation, the positioning, the abilities....all tons of fun!

The RNG however....is a bit overwhelming for me personally.

After having multiple soldiers just instantly outright die to a critical hit out of left field, the frustration is starting to set in. I dunno if that makes me a wimp, but it's just so infuriating to have your best soldiers get a flying insta-death crit elbow off the top ropes through their cover and armor after the enemies were just revealed.

I understand it needs an element of randomness, but I do feel like too much of it relies on luck. Maybe just me. Not sure I'm willing to put up with the frustration it brings me.

I contrast it with a game I recently played and loved in Darkest Dungeon. That game too relies on a lot of RNG which can be a bit frustrating at times, but I didn't find it as frustrating as there abilities to react and recover. I don't get that same feeling from the early game of XCOM.

I'll probably shelve it for now. Might come back to it later.

Belamorte

Feed Your Head
Nov 14, 2003
North American Scum
Also playing Divinity: Original Sin 2 and really loving it. It is a blast from the past with modernization I find. Reminds me a lot of my favourite game of all time (Baldurs Gate 2), in that there is no 'hand holding', or 'tracker trails' to your objectives, just somewhat vague hints in your journal. I can tell it is going to take a long time to finish and I am sure I will miss a lot. Although I would like to start over now that I know more, I do not want to go through the first 8 hours or so again.

Belamorte

Feed Your Head
Nov 14, 2003
North American Scum
Yeah, I played Divinity: Original Sin 1 for a while but never made it past the first big city. It was just too... unrefined and I doubt I will ever go back to it. I found Pillars of Eternity from that time frame much better, although I never did finish it either. I am in the camp that needs voice acting now, as I find I lose all concentration and can not follow the plot when I have to read the story rather than hear it. When I need to read I just clicking past the plot/story etc... and miss what is the 'meat' of the story. I like to turn subtitles off and play games as a narrative now for full/any enjoyment.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
Cuphead.

I know I'm bad at platformers but daaaaanng this game is difficult. :laugh:

Fun but hard on the hands.

dogbazinho

May 24, 2006
Fairfax, VA
Installed both Divnity 2 and Total War Warhammer 2 but then had to work over the weekend. Got about 20 turns into Warhammer. I'm not a fan of some of the mechanics but it's better than Rome 2.

Augscura

Oct 3, 2009
Prince George, BC
Is that any good? It's on my steam list. I know nothing about the game but it looked interesting.
Yes the Danganronpa games are absolutely amazing if you like point and click adventure/detective thrillers.

Danganronpa games are kind of hard to explain but I'll do my best. 'Ultimate students' (people notorious for being a supermodel, popstar, otaku, biker gang leader, Gambler etc etc) are trapped in a prestigious school. The only way to leave is to murder another student. After a murder, students investigate and then proceed to a trial. If the murderer is discovered post-trail, they die and everyone continues to live until the next murder where the process is repeated. Before murders you can spend "free time" hanging out with classmates which adds character development and further back story to the characters. The person overseeing the school is a robot bear (being controlled by a mastermind from the shadows). The bear sets rules for living in the school. Break them and he will kill you. He see's it as a game for his enjoyment.

EDIT: You should also start with the first game in the series and not DanganronpaV3

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011
Golf Story
World of Warcraft
Breath of the Wild
Heroes of the Storm

Would LOVE to get my hands on Danganronpa V3 and Cuphead.

Reactions: Breakdowns

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
All about Breath of the Wild. Absolutely loving it so far, easy 10/10 for me and if it keeps up I might have to adjust my top five games ever list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->