Games you are currently playing: ROUND FIVE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
The first game has not aged well at all, that's why. Clunky as hell interface wise, wonky combat controls.

I want to play through the series again myself buuttttt a required runthrough of ME1 kills any motivation to. :laugh:

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
The first game has not aged well at all, that's why. Clunky as hell interface wise, wonky combat controls.

I want to play through the series again myself buuttttt a required runthrough of ME1 kills any motivation to. :laugh:

Reading that Mass Effect 2 is better, particularly when it comes to combat, played a big role in persuading me to plow through it. We'll see. I'm not a fan of these 3rd-person shooters. I hope that the sequel is more like "Dragon Age: Origins in space." This one was more like "Dragon Age II in space" :laugh:.

For what it's worth, at least ME1 isn't very long if you just stick to the main missions. I just finished it and the game says that it took me a little over 8 hours. Thankfully, it also tells you exactly which missions are the main missions and which ones (the "assignments") you can skip. Even without doing more than a few assignments, I still had a character that was maxed out in most skills and the end fights were too easy. I suspect that the difficulty doesn't factor in that aiming is more precise with mouse than with controller. Maybe I'll play the next game on Hard. Maybe that'll also force me to use squad tactics, something which I would've liked to have used more, but didn't because I didn't need to (also like DA2, in fact).

Last edited:

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Played a couple games from Humble Bundle:

The Flame in the Flood
-Neat little indie survival game with the interesting mechanic of the river always pushing you forward. Seems to lack...depth (?) though, so I don't think it'll hold me very long.

Verdun
-Really neat game thematically (like if BF1 actually tried to make a true WW1 game), but unfortunately I found it very clunky and didn't last very long as a result

Also tried The Last Federation. Frankly awesome premise, but the implementation left a lot to be desired IMO. Not sure what I think of it yet...still trying to get into it.

Wolfenstein: The New Order is ongoing. Gotta love the sheer explosive goodness.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
Reading that Mass Effect 2 is better, particularly when it comes to combat, played a big role in persuading me to plow through it. We'll see. I'm not a fan of these 3rd-person shooters. I hope that the sequel is more like "Dragon Age: Origins in space." This one was more like "Dragon Age II in space" :laugh:.

For what it's worth, at least ME1 isn't very long if you just stick to the main missions. I just finished it and the game says that it took me a little over 8 hours. Thankfully, it also tells you exactly which missions are the main missions and which ones (the "assignments") you can skip. Even without doing more than a few assignments, I still had a character that was maxed out in most skills and the end fights were too easy. I suspect that the difficulty doesn't factor in that aiming is more precise with mouse than with controller. Maybe I'll play the next game on Hard. Maybe that'll also force me to use squad tactics, something which I would've liked to have used more, but didn't because I didn't need to (also like DA2, in fact).

ME1 is one of my favourite games of all time, but it is very dated at this point and it shows. ME2 & 3 while still a bit dated have a much smoother combat system.

To be fair, going back and playing DA:O not to long ago made me realize just how clunky that game is now too. :laugh: Still great.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I've been playing Killing Floor 2 since it finally came to Xbox with a friend.

Game wise? It's awesome. Tons of different play styles, replayability with collectibles in each level, different difficulties. Only complaint i have is the game could use a bit of variety in bosses since there's only two at the moment.

Now for functionality? game's a mess on xbox. Log in screen loop, game outright crashes frequently (especially when in a party. The moment you fire a shot at a zed the game eats ****)

And then i just finished the first episode of the new Life is Strange. Major step down from the original game. Worse writing (since rumors were fans had input on the script), worse voice acting, even the graphics look crappier. People thought the angst was bad in the first one? this one cranks it to 11. >_>

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Beat Downwell for the first time yesterday. "Only" took 37 hours of game time played over the span of about a year to do it.

I'm good at games.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
I'm currently back into playing Old School Runescape very heavily. When I want a break from scaping, I'll play some Rocket League or kick back with doing some completionist tasks in Final Fantasy X.

I have been considering re-playing Final Fantasy 7, as I try to replay it every 1-2 years.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
I've been delving into ye olde backloge on Steam looking for a light game to play while watching or doing other things and landed on Darkest Dungeon.

What have I done? Rest in peace, free time.

Great game.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Finished up Dust: An Elysian Tale. Really enjoyed that, well crafted game.

Bought Subnautica about a year ago and still waiting until it exits early access before I start playing. Supposedly only 6 weeks away now for the official 1.0 release.

sabresfan129103

1-4-6-14
Apr 10, 2006
Amherst, NY
Started up Fallout 4 again. IDK what it is, but something finally clicked for me in this game and I'm really enjoying it which I didn't the 1st time I played it.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
Booted up Victor Vran.

Clearly not a high budget game, but I'm having a lot of fun with it. I like the Diablo style but with the mobility and jumping.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
I am officially addicted to Dark Souls III. I'm close to beating it for the fourth time, and it's gotten to the point where I can't wait to start up round five.

Really wish there was some kind of way to replay the boss fights a la Dark Souls I boss rush mod. I would do it just to replay Gael constantly, that's my all time favorite boss fight.

Unaffiliated

Aug 26, 2010
Richmond, B.C.
I am officially addicted to Dark Souls III. I'm close to beating it for the fourth time, and it's gotten to the point where I can't wait to start up round five.

Really wish there was some kind of way to replay the boss fights a la Dark Souls I boss rush mod. I would do it just to replay Gael constantly, that's my all time favorite boss fight.
Looks to me like there's a DS3 Boss Rush?

https://www.reddit.com/r/darksouls3/comments/6r7cdw/ds3_boss_rush_mod_beta_release/

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
Victor Vran is what happens when an indie studio combines Bloodborne with Diablo, and hires Geralt of Rivia to voice their main character. :laugh:

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
I would love to keep playing Dark Souls, but it is one of those games where it takes a lot out of you to play. Especially if you are not patient and not very good at it like myself.

Still haven't finished either DLC for DSIII.

Baby Ryan

Jan 6, 2014
Ottawa, ON
I would love to keep playing Dark Souls, but it is one of those games where it takes a lot out of you to play. Especially if you are not patient and not very good at it like myself.

That feeling of reward though if you do stay patient enough makes it all worth it baby!

Section337

Jul 7, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Redoing Bloodborne. Probably better this time around but I am now in the annoying one shot kill boss phase of chalice dungeons. So I decided to pick up the DLC. Aye carumba, is Yharnam a messed up place.

Unaffiliated

Aug 26, 2010
Richmond, B.C.

It is absolutely 100% worth it. Especially the Ringed City DLC.

On the negative side, if you play too much Soulsborne/Soulslike the difficulty in most other single player games becomes a joke.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
Can't stop playing Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth+ right now. I stopped playing a little over a year ago once I 100%'d it on PS4, but now that I have it on the Switch I'm back at it. This addiction is frustrating because I really want to get around to Samus Returns!

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014

I will admit ME1 was a bit clunky but not sure how the combat controls were "wonky"? Can you please explain that?

I didn't like the interface either.

That story / writing / atmosphere is amazing in the game though. Easily the best of the series. The game has aged fine. It's still lots of peoples favorite ME and they still play it. Like I said, the interface was weird and the gameplay was a bit clunky but it wasn't like the game was broken or anything. It was just a big less refined. It has aged just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad