Games Webcast by Hockey Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
I was at the game and Cann was definitely the best of the four goaltenders. It's obviously far too early to make any real judgments but both Irving and Price let in pretty soft goals. Irving was definitely the shakiest of the four tonight, it will be interesting to see if he bounces back tomorrow.

Among the forwards, I thought McArdle was the best player on the ice. He has a motor that never stops working and he's pretty decent with the puck as well (he had one really nice assist). I'm not sure what his chances are of making the team but they definitely went up after tonight.

Cogliano looks like he'll be one of Canada's top offensive players, the guy has amazing wheels and he showed some great patience in the offensive zone tonight. I like the thought of him, Giroux and McArdle playing on a line.

I wasn't all that impressed by Bourdon tonight, he fumbled the puck on the powerplay (which resulted in him taking a penalty) and he got out of position a few times down low. He'll obviously make the team but I didn't think he had a great game tonight.

Of the young kids, Ellerby really impressed me. I don't think he has a hope in heck of making the team (of the bubble guys, Franson looked really good) but he skates well for a big man and I can see why he is regarded as a potential top 10 pick.

Did anyone look really terrible?

Out of all the returning players I would say Bourdon has the best chance at not making the team. He just hasn't looked as good as he did since his ankle injury.

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
Did anyone look really terrible?
No one looked really brutal in my eyes. I didn't love Setoguchi's game but it's too early to make any real judgments yet.

Out of all the returning players I would say Bourdon has the best chance at not making the team. He just hasn't looked as good as he did since his ankle injury.
I don't see any way Bourdon doesn't make the team, he's paired with Letang and I can't see them keeping that pairing off the team. I'm thinking the defence is starting to shape up as Staal, Parent, Bourdon, Letang, Russell and Franson with someone slotted in at #7 (possibly one of Alzner or Ellerby). I'm not a big fan of Bourdon's game so I'm interested to see what some other people thought about he played tonight. He definitely has all the tools to be a dominant defenceman but he just doesn't seem to use those tools effectively.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
I don't see any way Bourdon doesn't make the team, he's paired with Letang and I can't see them keeping that pairing off the team. I'm thinking the defence is starting to shape up as Staal, Parent, Bourdon, Letang, Russell and Franson with someone slotted in at #7 (possibly one of Alzner or Ellerby). I'm not a big fan of Bourdon's game so I'm interested to see what some other people thought about he played tonight. He definitely has all the tools to be a dominant defenceman but he just doesn't seem to use those tools effectively.

I can't see a way either. However, if someone that was on last year's team loses a spot I think it will be Bourdon. The chances of that happening are very remote. I was a big Bourdon fan even before the Canucks drafted him. Since then I have not been impressed with his development. He didn't stand out at the World Juniors last year and his stint with the Canucks was terrible, even though he should have been sent down to the minors. I don't know who he has looked in junior but the Canada/Russia Challenge he didn't look that good either. Like I said though the chances of not making the team are so remote.

I have those six guys as well on defence along with either Doughty or Ellerby. I think the last spot is really wide open. I'd be really upset if Franson doesn't make the team. His his pass is one of the best in junior.

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
I can't see a way either. However, if someone that was on last year's team loses a spot I think it will be Bourdon. The chances of that happening are very remote. I was a big Bourdon fan even before the Canucks drafted him. Since then I have not been impressed with his development. He didn't stand out at the World Juniors last year and his stint with the Canucks was terrible, even though he should have been sent down to the minors. I don't know who he has looked in junior but the Canada/Russia Challenge he didn't look that good either. Like I said though the chances of not making the team are so remote.

I have those six guys as well on defence along with either Doughty or Ellerby. I think the last spot is really wide open. I'd be really upset if Franson doesn't make the team. His his pass is one of the best in junior.
I didn't like his game at the WJCs either. I know a lot of people thought he looked rock solid on the backend but he simply makes too many mistakes in my view. He's definitely the classic "tools" prospect though - he could be a dominant defenceman if he puts it all together. He essentially lost a year of development time with his injury so it's far too early to give up on him at this point but the projections of him having a "Phaneuf-like" season in the NHL were definitely way off basis.

espo*

I didn't like his game at the WJCs either. I know a lot of people thought he looked rock solid on the backend but he simply makes too many mistakes in my view. He's definitely the classic "tools" prospect though - he could be a dominant defenceman if he puts it all together. He essentially lost a year of development time with his injury so it's far too early to give up on him at this point but the projections of him having a "Phaneuf-like" season in the NHL were definitely way off basis.

His first half of last years tournament was indeed kind of scary as he could'nt seem to find his groove and was gettin caught out of position and making dumb plays but he was getting a little better each game.By the 2nd half he was great,throwing the body and laying on big hits,standing guys up at the blueline and taking players off the puck down low left and right and most importantly for him...........keeping the game simple.

let's hope he is just adjusting here this time also.

allin4466

Apr 8, 2005
is the quality of tonights webcast horrendous for anybody else? It keeps playing for 30 or so seconds then buffers

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Anyone else thinking Cogliano is looking really good out there? Looking for outside opinion. He seems to create a chance on most shifts.

X-SHARKIE

Anyone else thinking Cogliano is looking really good out there? Looking for outside opinion. He seems to create a chance on most shifts.

I'de second that... his speed, one on one ability, and creativity distrubiting the puck has impressed me all season with Michigan.

The chances of Setoguchi making this team look really slim from what I've seen..plenty of ability, but just lacks that consistent effort to make a differance... Take Gagner instead.

Will TSN webcast the USA & Canada contests only? Or will we be able to see games such as the Czech Republic vs. Finland on webcast?

NCSENSFAN

Sep 2, 2005
thanks for the info.....

but is it just me or is the NEW tsn format and video feed slow and not good. Every time I try and load a video so I can get some good info, because the info down here in the US sucks, the feed is slow and not good!!!

Is it my line or feed or is it just TSN and they messed with a good thing....

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
thanks for the info.....

but is it just me or is the NEW tsn format and video feed slow and not good. Every time I try and load a video so I can get some good info, because the info down here in the US sucks, the feed is slow and not good!!!

Is it my line or feed or is it just TSN and they messed with a good thing....

Everytime i try to watch highlights it is horrible. It freezes after like 3 seconds but i still hear the audio.

Hopefully the live feeds are better.

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
I was hoping Cogliano would have a good game tonight and I wasn't disappointed to say the least.

A few guys had really good games tonight but I thought Cogliano was the best player on the ice for either side. The guy has simply elite speed and his ability to handle the puck while just flying is amazing. He finished with a goal (a tip in front of the net) and an assist but he also had two breakaways which he just about finished on. Does anyone else think Cogliano might be best served to make the switch to wing? He looks absolutely fabulous streaking down the wing and I'm beginning to think that he might look better there long-term.

What continues to impress me is Cogliano's defensive ability. He played a lot of minutes on the PK tonight and he showed some solid positioning in the defensive zone as well. He still has a tendency to leak out of the offensive zone a little early but that's hopefully a habit he can break.

I'm not a fan of Steve Downie's to say the least but he had a really good game today. He made a few beautiful passes resulting in goals and I believe he finished with 3 assists on the night. He's still a megadink but there is no doubt the kid can play hockey.

Perhaps the most surprising performance of the night was from Sam Gagner. He didn't have a great game yesterday but he broke out tonight with two goals and an assist. One of his goals was a beautiful shot top-shelf on a 3on1 which was really impressive. I think he stepped ahead of Tavares today and he might have a decent shot at securing a roster spot.

On the disappointing end, Setoguchi continues to show me nothing out there. The kid's not having a great year offensively in the WHL and it seems like his relatively poor play has carried over to this camp. He's almost completely invisible out on the ice and he's simply not making anything happen. I wouldn't be entirely shocked if he gets cut by tomorrow.

I had the chance to talk to a few scouts tonight and they think Ellerby has a really good shot at cracking the club. He definitely outplayed Doughty tonight (Doughty looks like he has some solid potential but he was turning the puck over too much tonight) and his mobility for a big guy still continues to surprise me. The guy even scored on an ugly five-hold shot against Carey Price in the shootout. If I was a betting man, I'd guess Canada's defence at this point is shaping up to be Bourdon, Letang, Staal, Parent, Franson, Russell if he's healthy (although I hear he might miss the tournament) and Ellerby. If Russell is out, Alzner or Mikkelson (I thought he had a good game tonight) could potentially slide in.

Bourdon definitely had a feisty game, he didn't play particularly well or bad tonight but he started skirmishes with both Gagner and Downie. Bourdon and Downie didn't seem to be the best of friends but I'm guessing they'll get over it when they're both named to the team.

It was a tricky night to evaluate goaltenders. Price let in 3 goals I believe but he also had a pretty good night. However, I'm pretty sure he tweaked something during the shootout (possibly his knee?) and I believe he's hurt. Irving looked pretty pretty good as well but he wasn't really challenged from what I saw. Bernier let in one softy by my count but he also had a pretty good game. Cann wasn't terrible but I don't think he did enough to warrant sticking around much longer in camp.

It was a fun game to watch and it will be interesting to see who gets cut tonight/tomorrow.

NCSENSFAN

Sep 2, 2005
I get the same ****. I am using f. Fox so maybe Exp might work better but if TSN is going to stream the games i want to know what I kneed to do so I can get them. It will be the only way I can watch, and I would pay if it was legit.

Fedz

Sponsor
Jul 18, 2003
Behind the Bench
I'm looking for a link as we speak, but from my understanding it will be *ALL* games at the 2007 World Junior Championships displayed live on their website.

Injektilo

Feb 3, 2005
Taiwan
Well where are you getting this understanding from? I mean, you must have heard/read it somewhere.

I'm trying not to get my hopes up here..... a link would be greatly appreciated.

Injektilo

Feb 3, 2005
Taiwan
Yeah, I'm not seeing anything on tsn.ca about streaming games. You'd think they'd have it announced all over the place on there.

Way to get people's hopes up, this is why you don't post anything without a link.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad