"Game On" spots

CaptainShark

Sep 25, 2004
Fulda, Germany

Timmer44

Mar 3, 2006
Van City
At NHL.com you can take a look at the NHL´s efforts to present their star players...

Cheechoo: http://mfile.akamai.com/16532/wmv/n...16532/wm.nhl.na-central/comp/Cheechoo_700.asx

To be totally honest... it blows

The one with Forsberg is a little bit better, got me to laugh when I saw it first... just absurd

http://mfile.akamai.com/16532/wmv/n...16532/wm.nhl.na-central/comp/Forsberg_700.asx

I think they're funny. Nice to see real players in the ads as well.

On another note have any Canadians seen the new Sports Chek ads. The one where the guy is reminiscing about his buddy and absolutely drills him. It's a classic.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I think they're funny. Nice to see real players in the ads as well.

On another note have any Canadians seen the new Sports Chek ads. The one where the guy is reminiscing about his buddy and absolutely drills him. It's a classic.

I love that Sportcheck ad. My first thought when I saw it was "with a mullet like that, the guy deserves to get leveled."

crashlanding

Nov 29, 2005
Chicago
The Cheechoo one is dumb he's just sitting on a surfboard. Why didn't they just have a guy on a surf board paddling out, someone from the beach yells "SHARK!" and Cheechoo pops out of the water and instead of being scared he's like "Jonathan Cheechoo? Oh, hockey's back!"

I like the Forsberg one, the look on Forsberg's face is great. He's just sitting there staring at the guy as if to say "Please watch some hockey" without opening his mouth.

zBearcat

Mar 20, 2006
Calgary
They's a lot better then those My NHL ads last year... although, that's not really saying much.

I didn't really understand the Cheechoo one, but the Forsberg one is pretty good.

Homer J. Leafs

Jan 4, 2005
Justin&Mats was here
The Cheechoo one is dumb he's just sitting on a surfboard. Why didn't they just have a guy on a surf board paddling out, someone from the beach yells "SHARK!" and Cheechoo pops out of the water and instead of being scared he's like "Jonathan Cheechoo? Oh, hockey's back!"
I like the Forsberg one, the look on Forsberg's face is great. He's just sitting there staring at the guy as if to say "Please watch some hockey" without opening his mouth.

I swear someone should email these ideas to the League
We (tha fans) have way cooler ideas than the old farts who got payed for that "My NHL" nonsence

Last edited:

hockeyprincess

Sep 5, 2006
Kingston, ON

I think those are great comments.
Personally, I think that the next commercial should be something like this:

A TV news station. A female meteorologist (let's call her Julie) is predicting a hurricane watch. You see Eric Staal standing on the other side of the weather map, with the same stoic attitude as Forsberg does in his: does not say anything and does not smile. The anchorman (let's call him Bob) asks her, "Julie, why is Eric Staal helping you predict the weather?" Julie looks at Bob and says, "He's just here to remind you that the hockey season has started."

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
A TV news station. A female meteorologist (let's call her Julie) is predicting a hurricane watch. You see Eric Staal standing on the other side of the weather map, with the same stoic attitude as Forsberg does in his: does not say anything and does not smile. The anchorman (let's call him Bob) asks her, "Julie, why is Eric Staal helping you predict the weather?" Julie looks at Bob and says, "He's just here to remind you that the hockey season has started."
That's a very good one. :handclap:

bladoww

Team of the Future
Jan 13, 2005
I think the Forsberg one is hilarious. The look on his face after he smashes the lamp. Great commercial.

white_tiger

Sep 10, 2006
Phoenix
The best NHL ads were years ago when they did the "Fire on Ice" . Since then they have been wasting way to much money paying ad people that are clueless about hockey.

oilers_guy_eddie

Playoffs? PLAYOFFS!?
Feb 27, 2002
This is Oil Country!
Visit site
I laughed at the Forsberg one. "Honey, why is Peter Forsberg in our bed?" Smashes the lamp with his stick. Funny.

I loved the one just after the lockout based on a slasher movie... the blonde chick is making popcorn in her pyjamas as someone in a goalie mask lurks outside her house. She looks up and sees a goalie waving at her, and shouts "Cool! Hockey's back!!" Silly, but fun.

But... if I didn't care about hockey... would this type of thing make me more likely to check out a game? Probably not.

One spot they should do is a guy who's just standing there, or walking down the street, or about to get into his car or something like that, and he gets pancaked by Dion Phaneuf. WHAMMO! I mean, at least it would remind people that hockey means people getting pancaked.

CaptainShark

Sep 25, 2004
Fulda, Germany
I loved the one just after the lockout based on a slasher movie... the blonde chick is making popcorn in her pyjamas as someone in a goalie mask lurks outside her house. She looks up and sees a goalie waving at her, and shouts "Cool! Hockey's back!!" Silly, but fun.

Yeah, that one was cool... Does anybody have a link for that?

nikebauer

Jul 21, 2005
Vancouver
The Iginla and Naslund commercials for Nike were really good for hockey, even if they were pushing to sell products.

Just those two guys shooting pucks in the streets and causing havoc

Venom_17

Jul 9, 2003
Visit site
They are a HUGE step up from last year's embarrassing efforts.

But Forsberg would never get into bed with a creature like that biznatch.

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
My post from another thread on the Pittsburg forum:
-------------------
I guess this is more related to NHL advertising in general than these specific commercials - but why purchase advertising space during games? People watching the games are obviously aware that the NHL is back.

The same goes for NHL advertising on the boards in the rink.
-------------------
Thoughts?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad