Game experience improvements

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I like the idea of a “show your colors” night.

BBA, some of what I’m saying here is a reflection of conversations with a Canes ticket exec who was basically at the point of giving up trying to recruit fans from Chapel Hill. The harder core elements of Tar Heel Nation associate the Canes with the Wolfpack, in a negative way. To the point of scoffing at the idea of ever being a “home” fan at PNC Arena. It’s a thing.

Fair enough. Seems like a minor thing to me, but the ticket execs have their finger on that pulse more than I do.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I like the idea of a “show your colors” night.

BBA, some of what I’m saying here is a reflection of conversations with a Canes ticket exec who was basically at the point of giving up trying to recruit fans from Chapel Hill. The harder core elements of Tar Heel Nation associate the Canes with the Wolfpack, in a negative way. To the point of scoffing at the idea of ever being a “home” fan at PNC Arena. It’s a thing.

Not saying you're wrong as I can easily believe what the ticket person said, but just about every home game I went to following the 05/06 season to the 2011 season I noticed a lot more Tar Heel blue than I thought I would ever see at a 'Canes game. They were rooting for the home team too for that matter. Saw some Duke shirts as well and same thing, all rooting for the 'Canes.

I had a friend who went to UNC from 2005-09 who told me that during his time there the 'Canes had developed a small but noticeable amount of fans among the students after the Cup win. Some of the Basketball players went to games (anyone remember Tyler Hansborough getting booed and cheered during the playoffs? :laugh: ). I randomly met Eric Montross (former player and radio guy) at a game once. Hell our last two UNC-grad governors (Easley and Cooper) were/are fans.

Unfortunately as we all know, the team could not build on that success and turned even the die-hards like us off. Now they have to build from the ground up again. But I do think there's more non-NC State/Canes fans than we might think, now comes the part where if Dundon is true to his word, he will try to reach out to those people and see who sticks.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Appalachian kids are pretty laid back. I'm pretty sure they'll be content to just hang out in their own smoking area, having a good time and not bothering anybody.

Just don't ask why their smoking area smells weird.

Speaking of Appalachian State, I went to the game against Detroit in 2008 and I saw a lot of App State shirts. They were reminding everyone there wearing Michigan gear about that game in Ann Arbor :laugh:

Good times.

Finnish Jerk Train

lol stupid mickey mouse organization
Apr 7, 2008
Raleigh
Speaking of Appalachian State, I went to the game against Detroit in 2008 and I saw a lot of App State shirts. They were reminding everyone there wearing Michigan gear about that game in Ann Arbor :laugh:

Good times.
I wore one to Cedar Point the year after that. I was pretty popular there.

A few years later, I wore one to the Michigan bar in Charlotte during one of Michigan's Final Four games. I wasn't as popular there.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
Appalachian kids are pretty laid back. I'm pretty sure they'll be content to just hang out in their own smoking area, having a good time and not bothering anybody.

Just don't ask why their smoking area smells weird.

Their smoking area smells good, they may be a little hungry, but they aren’t going to be starting a fight

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
Are you all saying when weed gets legalized in NC they need to sell edibles & blunts at the Canes games?

latest

vorbis

bunch of likes
Feb 9, 2013
YTZ
Rogers Arena has a place called Santé, which is as hipster-fad-diet as it sounds. Also has an Indian spot called Vij's. First thought was to look at Vancouver's offerings because it's got that reputation.

Also, Air Canada Centre doesn't seem too bad. They have a Freshii and a Shwarama spot that has a chickpea sandwich.
Air Canada Centre food options are honestly fantastic. something to be emulated for sure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->