GDT: Game 72: Colorado Avalanche vs Detroit Red Wings | Sunday, March 18th | 1:00pm MT

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
I was actually surprised at how many Red Wings fans went to the game. Having lost 9 in a row and clearly out of a playoff spot, I figured most of them would rather not shell out money for this game but they were out in full force. Felt like a 60/40 split.

I hate that it happens to us because so many fan bases invade Denver (Minnesota, Detroit, Chicago, Pittsburgh, St. Louis, San Jose, now Nashville for some strange reason). But props to those fans for actually showing up while mired in an awful season.
This is the only game all year that Detroit fans in Denver care about, they will show up regardless. Plus they love that we hate it

Last edited:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
giphy.gif
vTimL2N.gif

Reactions: ASmileyFace and cgf

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Seattle and Vegas will probably have issues with that stuff as well. Tampa does as well.

Someone else mentioned this, but a lot of those fans are season ticket holders. I know there was games every year my wife was in Red in Tampa, and games I was in Burgundy as well. Just something good cities have to deal with I guess.

Somehow I doubt Chicago keeps up their world wide bandwagon though. I think Detroits fans are much more tenured.

The chicago thing also has a lot to do with just how many expats the city has in Colorado, Arizona, Nashville, Raleigh, etc. There are other cool towns, like Denver & the Twin Cities, but Chicago is the only megacity between the Pacific coast cities west of the Rockies & the Atlantic seaboard cities...and it's hit that level even before Milwaukee has been absorbed into the Chicago metropolitan area. Even Texas's biggest metropolises (Houston & Dallas) are just over 60% of Chicago's population.

There's a ton of people coming & going constantly, and it's a city that a lot of its one-time residents tie themselves to, even if they weren't born in the Chicagoland area & have since left it. So unless the hawks go back to the really dark days of Daze & Ruttu, when they were run like Melnyk's Senators at the best of times, I don't expect hawks fans to disappear anytime soon.

Last edited:

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Hockey runs bone deep in Michigan, it's an original six team with a long history and they won a generation of fans over for life with the playoff streak. No doubt some fair-weather types will bail now that the lean years are coming, but I wouldn't be surprised if they keep coming anyway, even on the road.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Yup. Say what you want about Detroit fans but they're a loyal bunch. Not so sure about hawk fans, but if we continue to get better and the fans come back it won't really matter what wings or hawks fan do or don't do. Hopefully this is the beginning of the end of opposing fans drowning out Avs fans at home games.

Reactions: cgf

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
IDK about transplant Hawk fans but the hometown fans were making more noise than I've heard in the pepsi center all year last night against the Blues. Playoffs or not it is going to take more than one down season for fans to jump ship there.

Reactions: cgf

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
Man, as I moved to Sweden I cannot watch the GameCenter, or even cancel it normally as it wont even let me get into the unsubscribing section cause "NHLTv is not available in your area".
Well, god, I kinda know that so I am trying to unsubscribe.......

Hopefully that´ll get fixed soon so I can buy the Viasat rip-off 45$/month gamecenter for the last month(s).
Anyway, saw the results from the "fake not working" gamecenter so just watched the condensed highlights.
Man I am pissed about this mess. Only the 3rd game I could not watch this entire season because of this mess.

Still good to see Kamenev and EJ out there in the highlights.

Reactions: 5280

member 116861

Man, as I moved to Sweden I cannot watch the GameCenter, or even cancel it normally as it wont even let me get into the unsubscribing section cause "NHLTv is not available in your area".
Well, god, I kinda know that so I am trying to unsubscribe.......

Hopefully that´ll get fixed soon so I can buy the Viasat rip-off 45$/month gamecenter for the last month(s).
Anyway, saw the results from the "fake not working" gamecenter so just watched the condensed highlights.
Man I am pissed about this mess. Only the 3rd game I could not watch this entire season because of this mess.

Still good to see Kamenev and EJ out there in the highlights.

There are ways around this if you know what I mean. PM me if interested.

Reactions: dahrougem2

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I dunno...I remember a lot of red jerseys showing up for Avs games in the dark days of Eric Daze's wonky back and Captain Adrian Aucoin, so they'll definitely be there, but some of the Chelsea Dagger bandwagoners will lay low.
Lol that's a name I haven't heard in a long time. God, I loved Eric Daze as a player. Thought he would be a real force in the NHL if not for injury issues.

Reactions: cgf and Pokecheque

Pokecheque

Whack it Hard to Girard
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Middle West
www.armoredheadspace.com
Lol that's a name I haven't heard in a long time. God, I loved Eric Daze as a player. Thought he would be a real force in the NHL if not for injury issues.

Yep, he was good. Chicago actually had some decent talent on those teams (Zhamnov, Amonte, Sullivan) but were always hamstrung by their cheapskate owner. Dollar Bill Wirtz was Melnyk before Melnyk. Unfortunately if that's any indication, Eugene will have to die before the Senators get any better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->