GDT: Game 71: Wild @ Coyotes - 6 PM - FSAZ+

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Stepan was thinking about what's for dinner or something on that play

Stepan has played very well, IMHO. The problem was our commentators saying something like " Minnesota hasn't gotten any good shooting lanes.". Two seconds later...

Muppet

7th Round Pick
Mar 13, 2011
nz9oAAU.jpg

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Panik on the first line. Perlini out of position. Fischer with Archibald and Rinaldo. I just can't get excited to watch that lineup. Hope they are able to make positive changes to increase the talent next year. All these meaningless wins aren't enough to make me believe this is a winning roster when there's something on the line. I miss wanting to race home to get to the arena or watch them on TV.
We're fortunate to have the second coming of Scotty Bowman behind the bench.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Raanta was a little shaky, especially early. He tends to pile up rust after time off but seems to get rid of it the next game.

After getting home and watching the replay, KConn was also brutal on the 2nd Wild goal. I think he and Stepan got crossed on their assignments.

The stickybois, as mentioned in the thread I made about them, simply can't score. They control the puck, keep in the Ozone, but can't do squat with it. If the Coyotes build up a 2 goal lead? Sure play them like crazy, get them out there causing havok. But when down a goal they should not be on the ice more than a normal 3rd line. This was not a game where that line should be between 16 and 17 minutes.

Ice time has to be used in the carrot and stick sense sometimes. A lot of the skilled players were dragging ass the last few weeks and earned their demotions. But they can score sometimes. There's at least an upper level of potential there. It's a balancing act and they've gone too far the other way. There has also been ample time to prove out whether goals would start to follow from all the time the Richardson line is getting and that's not happening. I was fine giving them a little rope to see if it would happen but it hasn't.

Now it's time to put the skill guys back out there in more important situations and let them work through it. Otherwise once the top line gets cold this team will go right back into the gutter as there will still be no secondary scoring.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Is it legal to dislike all this Irish stuff, or do I get banned?

You mean you're bothered by the display of demeaning, tacky, stereotyping symbols of a specific ethnicity and culture?

Remember...
"Fighting Sioux" bad
"Fighting Irish" OK

Last edited:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I’m fine with last place.

I just want to see good effort and entertaining games. I’m getting that right now. Not upset.
So, you don't care if we win? You're ok with last place? All you want from this team is good effort? :help:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Raanta was a little shaky, especially early. He tends to pile up rust after time off but seems to get rid of it the next game.

After getting home and watching the replay, KConn was also brutal on the 2nd Wild goal. I think he and Stepan got crossed on their assignments.

The stickybois, as mentioned in the thread I made about them, simply can't score. They control the puck, keep in the Ozone, but can't do squat with it. If the Coyotes build up a 2 goal lead? Sure play them like crazy, get them out there causing havok. But when down a goal they should not be on the ice more than a normal 3rd line. This was not a game where that line should be between 16 and 17 minutes.

Ice time has to be used in the carrot and stick sense sometimes. A lot of the skilled players were dragging ass the last few weeks and earned their demotions. But they can score sometimes. There's at least an upper level of potential there. It's a balancing act and they've gone too far the other way. There has also been ample time to prove out whether goals would start to follow from all the time the Richardson line is getting and that's not happening. I was fine giving them a little rope to see if it would happen but it hasn't.

Now it's time to put the skill guys back out there in more important situations and let them work through it. Otherwise once the top line gets cold this team will go right back into the gutter as there will still be no secondary scoring.
Richardson's line has been very effective against other team's top line and that is why their minutes are up there. They are playing "up" because we have the likes of Rinaldo and Archibald in the lineup. Why, I don't know. We need more top end talent and the lack of is why our PP sucks so bad, but I agree now is the time to let the kids learn. I know I sound like a broken record, but Strome, Crouse and a couple others should be up here to show if their game has progressed. Right now, the future is more important than the present.

Reactions: Sthlmyote

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Richardson's line has been very effective against other team's top line and that is why their minutes are up there. They are playing "up" because we have the likes of Rinaldo and Archibald in the lineup. Why, I don't know. We need more top end talent and the lack of is why our PP sucks so bad, but I agree now is the time to let the kids learn. I know I sound like a broken record, but Strome, Crouse and a couple others should be up here to show if their game has progressed. Right now, the future is more important than the present.
I disagree about the late call ups. The team is playing out the string just to get to the offseason, the AHL guys are fighting in the playoffs. Let them play for something this year, instead of being called up into a macabre situation where they are the only ones really playing like there's something on the line. It's not good for them. I would agree with you if it were about seasoning kids on a successful team, but this is not the case.

Reactions: Name Nameless

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Broken record indeed. I see two schools of thought here, yours and let 'em learn, win and improve in the A. Given the context of the team not being able to afford any better replacements (if need be), I tend to lean toward the latter school of thought. I mean, what's the hurry at this point? Are we really that concerned we can't get another Archibald?

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Boys' REALLY gotta learn to shoot the puck on the pp when there's traffic. This in regard to the final pp - was like they literally refused to shoot unless Dubnyk had a clear view.

Reactions: SniperHF

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I disagree about the late call ups. The team is playing out the string just to get to the offseason, the AHL guys are fighting in the playoffs. Let them play for something this year, instead of being called up into a macabre situation where they are the only ones really playing like there's something on the line. It's not good for them. I would agree with you if it were about seasoning kids on a successful team, but this is not the case.

Broken record indeed. I see two schools of thought here, yours and let 'em learn, win and improve in the A. Given the context of the team not being able to afford any better replacements (if need be), I tend to lean toward the latter school of thought. I mean, what's the hurry at this point? Are we really that concerned we can't get another Archibald?
I understand this and the way it looks that is what the organization is thinking. My thought is that I want to see if any prospect has progressed, especially Strome, Crouse and a couple of others so come draft day I have a better idea of who we are trading. IF the organization has decided to give Strome, Crouse etc. next year to prove themselves then I'm fine with leaving them in the A.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Boys' REALLY gotta learn to shoot the puck on the pp when there's traffic. This in regard to the final pp - was like they literally refused to shoot unless Dubnyk had a clear view.
Yep, trying to be too cute. Just shoot the damn puck.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
I understand this and the way it looks that is what the organization is thinking. My thought is that I want to see if any prospect has progressed, especially Strome, Crouse and a couple of others so come draft day I have a better idea of who we are trading. IF the organization has decided to give Strome, Crouse etc. next year to prove themselves then I'm fine with leaving them in the A.
I Doan see that they have much choice and I think we've got to trust that the team is correct in their evaluations.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I see both sides. I also think the team is playing well right now, so it is important to keep that going. No need to introduce changes and alter the chemistry at this time. Let them over cook in the A and be ready for next years training camp. We shouldn't be counting on Strome/Crouse as far as trades go regardless.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad