GDT: Game 70 - Avs @ Wild - 7:30PM Central / 2:30AM Finland - NBCSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
These games against the Avs are starting to repeat themselves. Most of the game was controlled by the Wild, but inability to score, individual mistakes on the defensive zone, and Dubnyk leaking a couple of goals made it a blowout. Team really needs to shape up and get some consistency going into playoffs.
Agree 100%.

Jugitsu

Dec 24, 2016
Finland
Avs fan here, just wondering if you guys thought the reffing was god awful tonight? Thought there were a lot of missed calls on the Wild early in the game and then in third they made a lot of terrible calls to make up for it. I also thought it was goaltender interference, but I really don't know what to expect with those calls these days.

Hope Spurgeon isn't out long term, but that wasn't pretty...

I don't know if I'd use the phrase 'god awful' since I've seen a lot worse ones but definitely a weird game on that regard. The reffs didn't seem to know what kind of game they wanted it to be. I thought the calls they did make were right ones. I just wish they'd bury their whistles on the roughing ones, especially if they're sending only 1 guy in to the box.

Reactions: Perratrooper

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
Couple of borderline calls against Avs, completely bs holding call on Brodin. There is absolutely no way of telling how goaltender interference works in this leagues so don't know if the refs should be blamed for that. All in all, usual day in NHL reffing, which is a sad statement in itself.

Agreed, I thought if anything that was interference on Sodaberg, but really no call should have been made there. But then they only took Zadorov when Coyle(?) poked Varly and both players fell into the corner with Coyle(?) clearly being the aggressor.

All in all, one of the worst called games I've seen in a while haha

Jugitsu

Dec 24, 2016
Finland
Agreed, I thought if anything that was interference on Sodaberg, but really no call should have been made there. But then they only took Zadorov when Coyle(?) poked Varly and both players fell into the corner with Coyle(?) clearly being the aggressor.

All in all, one of the worst called games I've seen in a while haha

I didn't think Soderberg interfered with Dubnyk on the goal. Dubnyk was on his way out of the crease and Soderberg owned the ice he was standing in.

The situation in the corner was Zucker against Zadorov. And I wouldn't have called a penalty on either side. But to be honest, if a penalty had to be called on that wrestling match, it was the right one, since Zadorov followed Zucker way after they've gone by the goal and tangled up with him initiating the wrestling and actually Zadorov was the one being the aggressor there (I just rewatched it, Zucker didn't really do anything until Zadorov actually started to take him to ground, but Zadorov was really going for it the whole time). But it's all water under the bridge. Zadorov was doing his job, letting Zucker know not to touch Varlamov and Zucker was defending himself.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
That means groin injury for Spurgeon. Not as bad as it could've been.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
So couldn't watch it. Was there just no defense?
We owned the Avs in the first, but couldn't score. Varlamov was great...similar to EDM game. Then Doobs let in a softie, and the floodgates opened. I don't like the gaps on the dmen, and how the forwards get caught up in the O zone, giving up odd man rushes.

Our PP was actually decent at times, but couldn't put the puck in the net.

So, we had a a lack of timely scoring, they had timely scoring, and their goaltending was much better. Granlund continuing with his costly giveaways, though he was by no means the only one. There was one weird play where Dumba hammered some Avs guy into Doobs and flattened him. It made no sense..the guy didn't have the puck. I wondered if that rattled him.

I'm not mad. This is what we are. An inconsistent team.

I don't think it should have been interference. Dubnyk was out of the crease...don't see how he can own that. TV announcers felt differently.

HartKinnon

Nov 25, 2010
There was one weird play where Dumba hammered some Avs guy into Doobs and flattened him. It made no sense..the guy didn't have the puck. I wondered if that rattled him.

Dumba pushed MacKinnon in to the crease and MacK's hand touched Dubnyk just a little bit. It was a flop by Dubnyk and it seemed like he just tried to sell it to the refs as goaltender interference.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
Was not a must win game, but okay.

They played good enough to win in the first. Puck luck wasn't on our side, then Duby gave up the lead, twice, then put us down by two with that terrible goal in the 3rd. He hasn't had one like that in a while at home.

Spurgeon injury is much worse than the loss.

Reactions: Wild11MN

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
On the bright side, the Stars, Jets and Kings all lost last night (though the Kings got a point). I wouldn't say this was a "must win," but it's possible it put another "must win" game somewhere on the remaining schedule. I hope it won't be on that damn west coast road trip we end the season with.

We're 4/5 points above 9th place, which seems like a real glass half-full/half-empty situation right now.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Was not a must win game, but okay.

They played good enough to win in the first. Puck luck wasn't on our side, then Duby gave up the lead, twice, then put us down by two with that terrible goal in the 3rd. He hasn't had one like that in a while at home.

Spurgeon injury is much worse than the loss.
Has Dubnyk ever been good in March for us? I guess he must have been the first year, but since then it seems like he's always been shakey in the last 15-ish games.

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
Yeah, it seems really odd...The Athletic (Evan Sporer I think? But can't remember) wrote an article a little bit ago about how Dubnyk continues to get beat on those high glove shots from odd/low danger areas. I heard him being interviewed after the game and pretty much trying to come up with every reason in the book why he wasn't able to see it, or pick it up from the stick or whatever. Basically everything other than taking some of the blame which I think is really weird since people fall on the sword in hockey all the time.

Goalies are weird though so it can always just be a thing to not mess with himself mentally. There are still winnable games coming up, and it seems like we tend to play up to those good teams like Nashville/Dallas at least in the recent past.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
my point is after getting pounded in our prior meeting against the avs we should have taken care a business. im not blaming dubnyk but doobs is not the rockstar stud goalie some think he is. the D must be better and some forwards have to step up , staal & zucker cant win a cup by themselves. i think a team mudslide is coming. i sure hope my gut is wrong.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
my point is after getting pounded in our prior meeting against the avs we should have taken care a business. im not blaming dubnyk but doobs is not the rockstar stud goalie some think he is. the D must be better and some forwards have to step up , staal & zucker cant win a cup by themselves. i think a team mudslide is coming. i sure hope my gut is wrong.
This I could not agree with more.

W75

Wegistewed Usew
Oct 22, 2011
Winland
Oh shit. Not gonna watch the lowlights. So to me, this game technically didn't happen. Everything is fine.

Reactions: FVM

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Yeah, it seems really odd...The Athletic (Evan Sporer I think? But can't remember) wrote an article a little bit ago about how Dubnyk continues to get beat on those high glove shots from odd/low danger areas. I heard him being interviewed after the game and pretty much trying to come up with every reason in the book why he wasn't able to see it, or pick it up from the stick or whatever. Basically everything other than taking some of the blame which I think is really weird since people fall on the sword in hockey all the time.

Goalies are weird though so it can always just be a thing to not mess with himself mentally. There are still winnable games coming up, and it seems like we tend to play up to those good teams like Nashville/Dallas at least in the recent past.
It seems like Dubnyk's always been the type to find excuses before falling on the sword, which I think extends into his complaining to officials all the time. And if it helps him shake off poor performances I'm fine with it; for all I know internalizing it would just draw things out and make them worse.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Koivu's goal was worth watching. Looked like 25yo Mikko. He has been playing better lately, though I think he has been decent all year, just nor scoring.
Nice pass from Coyle.

I don't mind if Doobs blames things other than himself. Whatever keeps him out of his head. One of his best attributes is to be able to move on to the next game. Having said that, I hope the Wild are developing another goalie, whether it's Kakhonen or Micalek. I think we'll need him in a year or two.

Reactions: Dee Oh Cee
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad