Jost - Compher - Andrighetto
Bourque - Kerfoot - Yakupov

Zadorov - Barrie
Nemeth - Girard
Siemens - Warsofsky

Varlamov

--------------------------------------​

The Opponent

The Colorado Avalanche won 5-2 against Arizona on Saturday, snapping a three-game losing streak in the process. But that doesn't mean Colorado hasn't been productive lately; it's earned at least one point in every game this month (2-0-3), in seven straight games and in nine of 10 games overall.

Tuesday's game is the first of three straight inside the Central Division for the Avs, who play at St. Louis on Thursday in a huge game before returning home to host Nashville on Friday.

The Avalanche have won two of the three meetings so far this season, scoring 7-2 and 7-1 wins on home ice. Minnesota won 3-2 in a shootout the day after Thanksgiving in the only other game played between the rivals at Xcel Energy Center.

Nathan MacKinnon leads Colorado with eight points, including three goals and five assists, in the three games against the Wild. Mikko Rantanen has seven points.

MacKinnon has a team-leading 32 goals and 81 points this season. Rantanen is second with 23 goals and 69 points. Avs captain Gabriel Landeskog has scored 22 goals.

Goaltender Semyon Varlamov is the expected starter. He is 18-13-6 in 38 starts this season, posting a 2.85 goals-against average and a .913 save percentage. He made 31 saves in the 7-1 win against Minnesota on March 2.

--------------------------------------​

I'm not sure of the exact implications in the standings, but the Avalanche are close enough that this is still a pretty big game. The proverbial "4 point game" when Colorado's only 5 points back with a game in hand. It's pretty easy to let the game in Edmonton roll off my back, but we need to take care of business at home.

Last edited:

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Just win this one. We should be comfortably in the playoffs, but part of that is winning most of the home games from here on out.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I want to see some tactical excellence from the coaching staff and players. Negate Mackinnon as much as possible.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I want to see some tactical excellence from the coaching staff and players. Negate Mackinnon as much as possible.
I won't hold getting burned by McDavid against them, but with fresh legs at home? They need to show that they can still shut guys like that down.

SomethingGeneric

Sep 25, 2014
HUGE GAME that i am personally pumped for, haven't watched the last two or three but should be able to catch this one in it's entirety. I'm predicting a close game maybe 3-2 with either Spurgeon or Nino winning it late for the good guys. Hopefully it will completely demoralize their team and they fall off. Also glad to see Seeler is back, seems like a good game for him to punch Landeskog in the face once or twice should he get out of line.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
HUGE GAME that i am personally pumped for, haven't watched the last two or three but should be able to catch this one in it's entirety. I'm predicting a close game maybe 3-2 with either Spurgeon or Nino winning it late for the good guys. Hopefully it will completely demoralize their team and they fall off. Also glad to see Seeler is back, seems like a good game for him to punch Landeskog in the face once or twice should he get out of line.

My name is 57special, and I approve this message. Especially the part about punching Landeskog in the face.

It's funny how there is far less of the nonsense from CO since they started winning, though. It's almost like playing hockey is more valuable than cross checking people in the back after the whistle.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Howdy folks, not that it matters a ton but the Avs lineup will likely look something like this:

Landeskog - MacKinnon - Rantanen
Nieto - Soderberg - Comeau
Jost - Compher - Andrighetto
Bourque - Kerfoot - Yakupov

Zadorov - Barrie
Nemeth - Girard
Siemens - Warsofsky

Varlamov

Scratches: Toninato, Lindholm

They broke up the top line and it didn't work, so they went right back to it the next game and it produced. Scoring outside of anyone on ice same time as MacKinnon remains an issue.

Avs are almost down to the emergency backup right now, as both Andrew Hammond and Jonathan Bernier out with concussions (Bernier took an OEL slapshot to the face, Hammond got smacked in the head with a stick during a game while sitting on the bench). So it goes I suppose...

The big difference between this game and the previous two--it's an away game for Colorado. They are a completely different club outside of The Can.

Good luck to all, and hopefully your NFL team's old quarterback wasn't just a flash in the pan.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Hammond got smacked in the head with a stick during a game while sitting on the bench). So it goes I suppose...
Yikes. Never heard that one before :laugh:
The big difference between this game and the previous two--it's an away game for Colorado. They are a completely different club outside of The Can.
The Wild are the exact same way for whatever reason.
Good luck to all, and hopefully your NFL team's old quarterback wasn't just a flash in the pan.
Don't want to get too off topic here, but he's certainly due for some regression. I don't think he goes back to his Rams days or earlier, but I also wouldn't expect him to post the #2 QBR either. No doubt he's an upgrade over Lynch/Brock/Siemian though.

SomethingGeneric

Sep 25, 2014
I absolutely hate the NBCSN broadcasts as well. As much as people complain about the Wild's usual game day guys, at least they know what they are talking about. Have the time the broadcasters for these games say stuff and it's not even accurate. Like all they do is look at the stats before the game and make their decisions from that. Can't stand it and would rather watch on FSN.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I absolutely hate the NBCSN broadcasts as well. As much as people complain about the Wild's usual game day guys, at least they know what they are talking about. Have the time the broadcasters for these games say stuff and it's not even accurate. Like all they do is look at the stats before the game and make their decisions from that. Can't stand it and would rather watch on FSN.

I can't even hear the announcers for the NBCSN home Wild games. The ice and fan noise override them. My hearing isn't good to begin with; too many years around jet engines; but their broadcast really set off the ringing in my ears.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Weird play by Prosser stopping the puck in the slot for the driving Av's player.

NonsenseElimination

Jan 1, 2016
Hilarious people would rather listen to one of the worst broadcasting teams in the NHL over the NBCSN guys. This play by play is so much easier to listen to than Lapanta's terrible voice and pseudo-excitement.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Hilarious people would rather listen to one of the worst broadcasting teams in the NHL over the NBCSN guys. This play by play is so much easier to listen to than Lapanta's terrible voice and pseudo-excitement.
I usually tend to prefer a national broadcast to a regional one, in almost any sport.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad