GDT: Game 7: @ Blues | Foley Needs to Nap O'Clock | Literal Must Win Game III

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigAlSecord

Apr 11, 2015
Kane's lack of effort?

At least he wasn't a negative like Kane was. When considering talent and ice time, Kane was possibly the worst player for either team this series. His apathy for defense reached a new low, and his general lack of effort was apparent throughout.

The same **** that cost us a lot during the regular season cost us this series. First you have the inexcusable roster decisions by Q (that might have cost us a game). You have a PK that was ****ing brutal (you know the last of one this game...where we were actually aggressive, was the best we've had in months and should be how we approach them ALL THE TIME). There is the horrible extension by the forwards in general on defense. Then on the last goal you have Anisimov vacating his responsibility to over-support the puck (yet again) which was also prevalent all year. You also have Seabrook being pretty much worthless in the defensive zone.

At least the effort was their for the last two periods tonight. They didn't lay down and just die.

Kane saved this team all year! Jeez, get a grip. How many extra shifts did he take tonight? How about when he was skating circles around the entire Blues team? How about the clutch pass to Shawsie to get us here in the first place?

(Mod)

Last edited by a moderator:

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Holy ****, use some reading comprehension. I've never claimed that the contract was a mistake or that he will continue to play like he did this season. It would be ridiculous to think that. Everyone is well aware of everything that Toews has done, and will continue to do, for this franchise. Everyone is aware of how important he is, and I look forward to many more years of success from Toews and the team as a whole.

That said, he didn't perform to his standards this season. There's nothing wrong with pointing that out. It's not bashing or getting emotional. It's reality. (Mod)

This is it exactly. His contract wasn't a mistake. He will be fine. But for the time being, he does deserve to be called out a little. It's a message board, we can do that.

ReLyT

Fantasy Canadian Hockey League Commissioner
Jul 28, 2005
London, Ontario
fantasysimhockey.com
It's the passing of the guard type of playoff in the west. San Jose and St. Louis getting to the second round.

It's alright the Hawks like to win every few years instead of back to back. Amazing series though...

Now time to cheer for ex-Knights!

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
I doubt many do. Hawks became relevant to most of them after 2009 or 10.

I lived through the dollar bill era..........very much enjoyed this era but we have some serious cap issues coming once again......

IMO Seabrook should get dealt to Edmonton

Pepe Silvia

Jan 2, 2012
Chicago
Ok, Reading comp check, I didn't claim you did either, the only place I used the word mistake in was in regards to Hossa's contract, not necessitating a link. Two can play this game...

Lmao your post implied that me and/or other people were upset with Toews' contract.

zac

Apr 29, 2009
Kane saved this team all year! Jeez, get a grip. How many extra shifts did he take tonight? How about when he was skating circles around the entire Blues team? How about the clutch pass to Shawsie to get us here in the first place?

(Mod)

What does this have to do with ANYTHING I just said?

Kane was above and beyond brutal this series. If he was just bad with effort then fine, I'd be okay with that. But it was obvious he was apathetic unless the puck was in the offensive zone. That is inexcusable for ANY player, let alone one making 10.5 million a year.

Having a great regular season doesn't excuse subpar effort in the playoffs. If anything it makes it worse.

zac

Apr 29, 2009
This is it exactly. His contract wasn't a mistake. He will be fine. But for the time being, he does deserve to be called out a little. It's a message board, we can do that.

It was a mistake in that Bowman didn't appear to do much in the way of negotiating. There wasn't a contender out there that could have outbid the Hawks at 9.5 million. It not only would have been fair, but it would have helped the team out TREMENDOUSLY. From that vantage point it was most definitely a mistake.

member 151739

What does this have to do with ANYTHING I just said?

Kane was above and beyond brutal this series. If he was just bad with effort then fine, I'd be okay with that. But it was obvious he was apathetic unless the puck was in the offensive zone. That is inexcusable for ANY player, let alone one making 10.5 million a year.

Having a great regular season doesn't excuse subpar effort in the playoffs. If anything it makes it worse.

Kane was flying all night. Did you not see his two outstanding shifts?

Hawks didn't lose because of Kane.

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
Lmao your post implied that me and/or other people were upset with Toews' contract.
The beauty of implication is that it gets into interpretation, so I can presumably leave some quotes just as you neglected to do and you can argue they aren't implying dissatisfaction with the monetary value associated to Toews.

"Is this where you tell us who long you've played in beer leagues.

But you go right on being happy with a $10.5 player who doesn't pot a goal." (Backyard Hockey)

"Contracts are given for future performance expectations, not past accomplishments (Backyard Hockey)

There's no getting around it. He simply didn't not earn the contract value in the regular season and earned even less of it the playoffs. Unless 'fine' and 'other responsibilities' are worth $10.5" (Backyard Hockey)

"Can't help but think they could've been signed long term for less than $10.5 million/yr. each---which is ridiculous (especially for Toews). " (StLAvsFan)

" Sports contracts are offered TO certain players based on what they've done but are structured based on future expectations of performance over the term of the contract. Pretty simple" (Backyard Hockey)

In response to "Honestly I am proud of the Hawks for fighting back and taking this to 7 games. It sucks -- a lot -- to lose, but that's the way it goes sometimes. Really there is nothing to be ashamed about with their play this series.

And Toews wasn't as good as he usually is, but *****ing at core players like Toews and Seabrook that have brought us three ****ing Cups in six ****ing seasons.... I understand the frustration but maybe take a step back and realize how good you have it compared to some other fanbases out there"

there was

"So you are ok with paying Seabriok $7m and Kruger almost $4m and the inevitable roster problems those contracts will cause because of 2013?" (Backyard hockey)

so...if you're bored let's start interpreting...

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006

agreed they lost due to a lack of a 4 dman and Q's inability to make adjustments in a timely fashion.....

in any case this team did not have what it took to win the cup this year anyway.....

Gonna cheer for the Capitals to win the cup now.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
I've stayed away from this board out of pure anger.

It's frustrating to have Keith play his worst playoff game in years in a game 7 against the Blues. He and Seabrook are the reasons the Blues got their first two goals.

Toews never scored. He did other things, but he makes the big bucks to be a difference maker come crunch time. This time, that didn't happen.

And I had been adamant (before the series even started) that TVR should be on the right side and that Kane and Panarin should be seperated. Joel waited way too long to make these moves.

And lastly, I got ****ing annoyed by all the people who declared us the winner before the game even started. Hawks fans I understand. Blues fans that hop onto our boards? Thanks for the jinx.

Will try to not have this ruin my summer. Hard when someone deals with depression (and an extreme level of anger), but I'll try to be positive about it.

Had a feeling tonight was gonna be bad. At least I had more faith in the team than some (IMF, NDGT).

zac

Apr 29, 2009

In the 2nd period, after he was demoted a shift, he finally got his act together a little bit. But his ******** "effort" on the two goals was a microcosm for what we've seen all series long.

Two shift (unfortunately) don't make a game, let alone a series. If you can't see how terrible Kane was in most every phase of the game for most of the series you are out to lunch.

zac

Apr 29, 2009
I've stayed away from this board out of pure anger.

It's frustrating to have Keith play his worst playoff game in years in a game 7 against the Blues. He and Seabrook are the reasons the Blues got their first two goals.

Toews never scored. He did other things, but he makes the big bucks to be a difference maker come crunch time. This time, that didn't happen.

And I had been adamant (before the series even started) that TVR should be on the right side and that Kane and Panarin should be seperated. Joel waited way too long to make these moves.

And lastly, I got ****ing annoyed by all the people who declared us the winner before the game even started. Hawks fans I understand. Blues fans that hop onto our boards? Thanks for the jinx.

Will try to not have this ruin my summer. Hard when someone deals with depression (and an extreme level of anger), but I'll try to be positive about it.

Had a feeling tonight was gonna be bad. At least I had more faith in the team than some (IMF, NDGT).

Go back and watch Kane on those goals. He might as well have been on the bench.

member 151739

In the 2nd period, after he was demoted a shift, he finally got his act together a little bit. But his ******** "effort" on the two goals was a microcosm for what we've seen all series long.

Two shift (unfortunately) don't make a game, let alone a series. If you can't see how terrible Kane was in most every phase of the game for most of the series you are out to lunch.

7 points in 7 games including an OT winner.

Pepe Silvia

Jan 2, 2012
Chicago
The beauty of implication is that it gets into interpretation, so I can presumably leave some quotes just as you neglected to do and you can argue they aren't implying dissatisfaction with the monetary value associated to Toews.

"Is this where you tell us who long you've played in beer leagues.

But you go right on being happy with a $10.5 player who doesn't pot a goal." (Backyard Hockey)

"Contracts are given for future performance expectations, not past accomplishments (Backyard Hockey)

There's no getting around it. He simply didn't not earn the contract value in the regular season and earned even less of it the playoffs. Unless 'fine' and 'other responsibilities' are worth $10.5" (Backyard Hockey)

"Can't help but think they could've been signed long term for less than $10.5 million/yr. each---which is ridiculous (especially for Toews). " (StLAvsFan)

" Sports contracts are offered TO certain players based on what they've done but are structured based on future expectations of performance over the term of the contract. Pretty simple" (Backyard Hockey)

In response to "Honestly I am proud of the Hawks for fighting back and taking this to 7 games. It sucks -- a lot -- to lose, but that's the way it goes sometimes. Really there is nothing to be ashamed about with their play this series.

And Toews wasn't as good as he usually is, but *****ing at core players like Toews and Seabrook that have brought us three ****ing Cups in six ****ing seasons.... I understand the frustration but maybe take a step back and realize how good you have it compared to some other fanbases out there"

there was

"So you are ok with paying Seabriok $7m and Kruger almost $4m and the inevitable roster problems those contracts will cause because of 2013?" (Backyard hockey)

so...if you're bored let's start interpreting...

You seem to have trouble understanding the difference between pointing out a player's performance over one season relative to their salary, and being upset with the actual contract being signed. So a couple posters (not including me, and one of which isn't even a Hawks fan) might think he's overpaid based on his performance this year. Who gives a ****. It has nothing to do with my original posts about Toews having a down year.

Last edited:

zac

Apr 29, 2009
7 points in 7 games including an OT winner.

Of those points there were very few in which Kane made a great play. They certainly don't reflect the level of his performance throughout the series.

You are a known Kane supporter so I'm not surprised you are in denial.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
This loss isn't hitting me like I thought it would.

I'm kinda just.... meh.

I was furious when the Blackhawks lost to the Kings.
I was so disappointed when they lost to the Canucks.

This is more like... Detroit 2009. They were the better, deeper team, and they won. So be it.

The only loss that hit me less that this one was the Phoenix series, where I was like 'Whatever, what's the update on Hossa?'

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
You seem to have trouble understanding the difference between pointing out a player's performance over one season relative to their salary, and being upset with the actual contract being signed. So a couple posters (not including me, and one of which isn't even a Hawks fan) might think he's overpaid based on his performance this year. Who gives a ****. It has nothing to do with my original posts about Toews having a down year.
Perfect. Now to tie it all together. My post was multifaceted, the facet pertaining to you was the point that I made that his play was tolerable and that his performance and leadership was consistent enough to not be whined over. If you go back to my original post I pointed out that 2 (exact) posters were whining about his contract, Backyard hockey and StlAvsFan. The tolerability remarks was to the quoted, the contract remarks were to the other, zero contradictions found.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
This loss isn't hitting me like I thought it would.

I'm kinda just.... meh.

I was furious when the Blackhawks lost to the Kings.
I was so disappointed when they lost to the Canucks.

This is more like... Detroit 2009. They were the better, deeper team, and they won. So be it.

The only loss that hit me less that this one was the Phoenix series, where I was like 'Whatever, what's the update on Hossa?'

The 2014 loss was the worst, because that team should have won the cup, and they should have beat the Kings. That was really the low point in Q's coaching career in Chicago. He killed the Hawks in that series. Should have been a threepeat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad