GDT: Game 69: Kings @ Coyotes - 7PM - FSAZ+

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
This was a very good game to watch. I had a good view of the goaltender interference as I am 2nd row upper deck center ice. We got lucky. My thought at the time was that it was a good goal and Reider's out of control dump truck imitation occurred after the puck passed the goal line. He was pretty invisible IMO for the entire game.

I like LA's heavy game but don't see how they can match up to a faster, equally skilled team. Vegas is going to eat them up alive if they meet. So will all of the central teams.

Interesting snippet from the drive home. Luke "Excuses" Lapinski said something to the nature of "of course they need to improve the forwards but the defense and the goalie seem sound." Paraphrased. Anyway, that's the first criticism I have heard out of his mouth.

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
Glad to see the Yotes win this one! Any point not going to LA is good lol.

In terms of the rule book for that OT goal/non-goal, I can't say for sure what it was. But, to me, I am glad it wasn't a goal. Not just because it was against the Yotes, but because that would have been a lame way for this game to end. I'm just not a big fan of goals that go in from running over the goalie or pushing him in the net. Especially when the puck doesn't even go off of a players stick to do it. I think if Doughty didn't run into Hill, that doesn't go in. Apparently, the refs thought something similar so they called it off.

Panik was noticeable but man, if only he could break that cement off of his hands! His chance in OT where he couldn't get a shot off was rough, just exploded the puck off of his stick into the corner pretty much haha.

I think Hill was solid. Did exactly what he needed to in order to win his first NHL game. Congrats! Came in when called upon and provided.

Another learning lesson. Kings are a desperate team.

Agree with this, too. Great learning lesson on how to beat a desperate team. The Yotes may have let the Kings back in it a bit, but they found a way to get the win.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Congrats to Hill on his first win, but man he reminds me of Scott Darling so much in net. Not a good thing.

Finally gotten to see this game, 3AM start isn't always working for me live.

Got the LA announcers, weirdly, from Gila River? Well, they sounded like they were bored out of their minds from before the games started, and the first 20 minutes. Heated up a bit after a while, though. But that was not fun.

I must admit I was dead sure this was an auto-loss. And then the team was up 3-0 rather quickly. Watching unspoiled. I was like, man, the Yotes are gonna rule the world next season.

Of course Kings managed to equalize. That was highly skilled deflection-goals. At least the last 2, the first one Hill migth have been screened on. No way we should blame those on Hill.

The goals not factored in: Comparing to Darling? Please take that back. Darling is seen now as total dead weight, sunk cost, - not even ECHL - by his own fans from what I can figure out. To compare someone with him is pretty much the most evil thing you can say. So, please take that back. :help:

Lucky with the goaltender-interference, but hey, we all know they have no idea what they are doing there anyways, so a complete random call then.

Hey, victory! :D And still thinking this bodes very, very well though. Domi was great again. And a bunch of other guys. Sweet!

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Still hate the shootout, but I'll take it. So will Hill, probably!

3 points back of last season at game 69. Finished last year 4-7-2. Need 13 points in 13 games. Achievable.

I would hope we would be more competitive than 4-7-2. After all, this year we only got rid of a bottom 6 F in Rieder. Last year, we lost our #1 C, bottom 6 F in White, and a 3/4 or 5/6 D in Stone.

But, that would involve looking at the talent level relative between the years, and that is unacceptable to do :sarcasm:

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I would hope we would be more competitive than 4-7-2. After all, this year we only got rid of a bottom 6 F in Rieder. Last year, we lost our #1 C, bottom 6 F in White, and a 3/4 or 5/6 D in Stone.

But, that would involve looking at the talent level relative between the years, and that is unacceptable to do :sarcasm:
Yep, we either over achieved last year, under achieved this year, or both:)

Reactions: Jakey53

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
When was the last time we had a 49 game stretch over .500?

2015-16 season.

October: 5-5-1
November: 8-4-0
December: 5-7-2
January: 6-4-2

By my count, that is 24-20-5.

Domi, Duclair, Doan, Vermette, Hanzal, Boedker, Rieder, Richardson, Martinook, Chipchura, and Gordon as our main forwards. OEL, Stone, Michalek, Murphy, Dahlbeck, Grossman as our main defense.

What made the season go downhill? Injuries. Same as what burdened us this year. Hanzal played 64 games. Smith went out and we were left with Domingue and Lindback until Lindback went out.

So, that roster was way less talented than this roster and injuries hit all the same.

Must have been some other x-factor that begins with a 'c' and ends with 'oaching'

Reactions: cobra427

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Wow I can't believe this argument is still going. The last group of coaches and players weren't going to make us a consistent contender. The coach had the opportunity and power to prove he wasn't gong to get it done. The budget isn't going to change so the coaching, drafting, developing and management have to get better. The current coach and group of players aren't getting it done either. The last guy had 8 years. I think we can give the new guy more than one partial season to implement his system/style and help build the roster that way he thinks it needs to be to win. Thankfully he only has a 3 year deal and we don't have a bunch of Canadian fanboys worshipping him and giving him an absurd, undeserved contract.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Yeah I continue to dispute this supposedly massive increase in talent. I ain't gonna bother writing it up again for like the 5th time but just noting it for the record.

Reactions: CC96 and _Del_

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
It comes down to context. There was a constant reminder of how decisions were so poor, such as giving a player like Chipchura minutes and a spot that we're questionable, at best. Yet, we still managed to get to a record of .500 or better (as _Del_ alluded to) in spite of a player like Chipchura.

This year, would you take any of our centers and put them behind a player like Chipchura? This is inclusive of Max Domi playing out of position (he of 122 points in 3 seasons, relative to Chipchura's 104 points in his career).

Yet somehow, we are supposed to be happy with being over .500 in a 49 game stretch with what I would call a clear difference in overall talent level?

Do it yourself - list the names of the players in this season vs players in all other seasons and ask yourself if it makes sense why this team has the point totals they have relative to the talent level.

Yes, we have a new coach and system and we have made improvements over the latter half of the season. Did we not make improvements over the latter half of last season with a coach who many wanted gone? Yet, no one brings up that we did improve in the second half of last year with the same resonating impact as improving over this year.

So again, context. The reason why we look the part better in the improvements over the latter half of this year vs last year is because we didn't trade away our top talent this year like we did last year. Or because we immediately plugged a talent and experience upgrade to the team with Keller, Stepan and others.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Yeah I continue to dispute this supposedly massive increase in talent. I ain't gonna bother writing it up again for like the 5th time but just noting it for the record.
Pardon me? Besides the kids maturing .....nevermind, not worth the headache of explaining.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Hammer/Demers/Stepan full year/Keller is a big uptick over Schenn/Murphy/Part time Hanzal/Doan.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->