GDT: Game 68 | Columbus vs. Colorado | 3/8 7PM

CBJ goalie

May 19, 2005
London, Ontario
Last comment... Korpisalo has played well in the last two games but he can't give up TWO goals in the last 5 minutes!!!

I don't care who the team is, NHL goalies that CAN'T shut down a game with 5 minutes to go don't last long....

Anyway, lucky two points... Go Jackets!!!

Korpisalo didn't give up those goals, the team did.

Let's talk about those 2 goals specifically; how did you expect Korpi to stop those?
- goal by Mackinnon: a one time slap shot from 15-20ft, into the top corner.
- goal by Soderberg: puck thrown to the net, through a screen. That puck had eyes. On the reply, you can see Korpi try to look up and over, and that puck misses 3 players before going into the net.

Just because a goal looks bad, doesn't mean it is a bad goal.

Reactions: Jovavic

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Wennberg benefited from his new line combination which takes advantage of his strengths and minimizes his weaknesses. It was one of his best game in a while.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
There are areas of Wennberg’s game that is still lacking. Most importantly, faceoffs.. because, ya know.. centers are relied on to win faceoffs.

Tonight he was 1/6.. 16 percent. He’s at a whopping 44 percent on the season.

Aside from faceoffs, he played very well tonight. His entire line was incredible but his CF% was insane. His game tonight was a solid A.
His career FO% is 44% so, that's too be expected by now.

One of my best friends (we've been playing hockey our entire lives) HATES him because he can't score goals lol

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
A little late catching up on the GDT, but a win's a win! Great seeing the team come back from 2-0 and battling back after blowing a late lead.

And by the way, PLD is a f***ing HORSE. We've got a stud 1C in the making.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan

Let's talk about those 2 goals specifically; how did you expect Korpi to stop those?
- goal by Soderberg: puck thrown to the net, through a screen. That puck had eyes. On the reply, you can see Korpi try to look up and over, and that puck misses 3 players before going into the net.

The only goal Korpisalo is at fault for in the entire game was the Soderberg goal.

It was pretty bad though, timing and not being tight to the post. Unfortunately its the same type of goal "Pittsburgh Bob" lets in quite often.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

Oh jesus please don't tell me you're actually defending the 4th goal as a "team goal. That's completely his fault. I don't blame him for the first or third goals, I think the 2nd is stoppable, but the fourth is an absolute stinker that Mathieu Garon would have stopped. Screened? Yeah, maybe by Savard a little bit. However, the puck is literally on the left boards. ON THE BOARDS. He needs to cover one side and the five hole. That's literally the only spot it can go in with a shot from that angle. He doesn't. It beats him blocker side, because he's not tight to his post. It's an awful goal. There's no ifs ands or butts about it.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
The only goal Korpisalo is at fault for in the entire game was the Soderberg goal.

It was pretty bad though, timing and not being tight to the post. Unfortunately its the same type of goal "Pittsburgh Bob" lets in quite often.

I finally figured it out.

If a player has talent, then you automatically don't like them. Jones, and to a certain extent Panarin are the only skill players who escape your wrath. You'd hate being a Tampa fan. They only have 2 forwards who aren't skilled and who aren't fast skaters.

But, you're probably right. Based on last night, Jenner and Murray are PPG players.

Reactions: Jackets Fan
Mar 1, 2002
Oh jesus please don't tell me you're actually defending the 4th goal as a "team goal. That's completely his fault. I don't blame him for the first or third goals, I think the 2nd is stoppable, but the fourth is an absolute stinker that Mathieu Garon would have stopped. Screened? Yeah, maybe by Savard a little bit. However, the puck is literally on the left boards. ON THE BOARDS. He needs to cover one side and the five hole. That's literally the only spot it can go in with a shot from that angle. He doesn't. It beats him blocker side, because he's not tight to his post. It's an awful goal. There's no ifs ands or butts about it.
Torts said after the game he was totally screened and never saw the shot

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
My seats are directly behind our goalie. And Korpie was screened on that shot.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I said he was screened. That doesn't take away the point that there's only two possible places he can get scored on from that angle. Yet, he didn't cover the post.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I said he was screened. That doesn't take away the point that there's only two possible places he can get scored on from that angle. Yet, he didn't cover the post.

It was his fault. Why it's so tough to admit that for some is beyond my tiny mind's reach.

If I blame Korpi for a goal, it doesn't mean I hate him or think he's a bum. Now CBJW10 might:naughty:

Reactions: CBJWennberg10

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
I finally figured it out.

If a player has talent, then you automatically don't like them. Jones, and to a certain extent Panarin are the only skill players who escape your wrath. You'd hate being a Tampa fan. They only have 2 forwards who aren't skilled and who aren't fast skaters.

But, you're probably right. Based on last night, Jenner and Murray are PPG players.

"To a certain extent", Panarin? I'll put it this way: Panarin > Jones > Johansen > Bobrovsky ....Value to this team (all) at a hypothetical 7 mil a year. He's a big reason I think we should move away from Bob. If Johansen is REALLY "worth" 8 million, how much could Panarin ask for?

You literally have no idea what you are talking about. 1 of the main reasons I became a CBJ fan was because of Nikolai Zherdev. Big fan of Brassard and other skilled guys that have had a bad "rap" over the years. Its just that you don't like that I come to the defense of "defensive minded" players that you don't like for various reasons, and like to continuously downplay their impact.

But something you've obviously never noticed, is that I never actually "attack" any of the skilled guys, just to do it.

Number 1, Josh Anderson isn't a "skill" guy, as much as you want to believe it. All the things I've said about Wennberg are now "consensus". I've had serious questions about Jojo's "work ethic" and "character" going way back. I think Werenski need to focus more on his actual defense, play a bit safer/smarter and that both Murray's offensive and defensive impact are underestimated by you and a decent amount of people. Wisniewski was an absolute liability most of his time here, even strength or on the PP. I'd like Bjorkstrand to be scoring a bit more, but I don't move him for practically anything and let him grow. Love me some Atkinson. And I'm so glad that because of Jojo we got BOTH Jones AND Dubois and that they both seem to have a bigger imact. 50/50 on Millano. Look at Matt Calvert's 'junior' offensive stats compared to Josh Anderson's. Maybe its YOU, who's hating on the "skill" player.
In 2018, Jenner > Anderson. "Panarin time" is more valuable than PP time.

Remember, full glass of water.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
If a player has talent, then you automatically don't like them. Jones, and to a certain extent Panarin are the only skill players who escape your wrath.

Not only are Jones and Panarin, "skill" players, but like Jenner and Murray, they are more importantly "effort" players.

Wennberg/Jojo/Wiz/Werenski not so much. And add in my boy Nikky Zherdev. Different "levels", but the point stands.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Not only are Jones and Panarin, "skill" players, but like Jenner and Murray, they are more importantly "effort" players.

Wennberg/Jojo/Wiz/Werenski not so much. And add in my boy Nikky Zherdev. Different "levels", but the point stands.

If Murray is an "effort" player, then I'm the King of England. Did you see the other game where he couldn't muscle a guy off the puck for 20 seconds. Wouldn't put in the "effort".

The notion that you can properly gauge "effort" is laughable. Z exerts himself double that what Murray does. He plays a 200 foot offensive/defensive game vs. Murray's completely defensive 120 foot game.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jackets Fan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->