GDT: Game 68: Avs @ Wild |Tuesday, March 13th, 6:30pm MT (NBCSN)| Unforgettable

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
I have a theory on it. When Barrie was out, the Avs rolled consistent defensive pairings, and that’s what they’re doing now without EJ. I think consistency in a partner matters. When both are in the lineup, things get jumbled up all the time to find both of those guys a ton of ice time, and they play with everyone. It can lead to chaos at times.
Interesting theory. Who would you put EJ with when he gets back to keep up the consistency? Girard?

This game put me to bed in a such a good mood that I woke up with a smile on my face. I love Avalanche hockey when we are good :)

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Avs are 14-4-5 since New Year in games Nathan Mackinnon played. They are 4-4-0 without him in the lineup.

Avs are 6-1-4 in games without EJ during this stretch.

But Barrie sucks!

For real though, this was a huge win for this team. They overcame some adversity, continued dominance of a division foe, and got a vital 2 points in the playoff race.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
But Barrie sucks!

For real though, this was a huge win for this team. They overcame some adversity, continued dominance of a division foe, and got a vital 2 points in the playoff race.
Trade him! Picks will help us win more games! If we had a 1st round pick playing in his spot we'd go 11-0-0!

Hesher

Sagan for President
Jan 22, 2013
Slovakia
- if this game won't give them confidence that they can win on the road, nothing will
- Varly was amazing
- JTC arrives when you need him the most
- much like the team, Z finally brought his home game to an away rink and it was beautiful
- is there anything more beautiful than watching Mack torch Dubnyk?
- never thought I'd see the Avs wipe the floor with Minny in the season series, certainly not this season
- as much as I hate Minny, I do hope Spurgeon is going to be okay. I don't like seeing players go down like that

Reactions: cgf and McMetal

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013
Interesting theory. Who would you put EJ with when he gets back to keep up the consistency? Girard?

This game put me to bed in a such a good mood that I woke up with a smile on my face. I love Avalanche hockey when we are good :)

I know they wouldn't do this, but they should try Barrie-Johnson for a stretch. Give them loads of minutes and roll with one basically elite pairing while letting Girard and Zadorov handle things on the second and third pairings respectively.

I hate Girard and Nemeth together but using them more selectively at even strength wouldn't be the worst idea. Same for whichever weak link is paired with Zadorov.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
When EJ comes back, it's simple.

Z-EJ
Nemeth-Barrie
Girard-Dunc

Then swap Dunc with Barbs when/if he ever comes back

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Barrie needs lots of 5v5 and PP time. I’d go:

Z - Boobs
Sam - EJ
Pat - Whoever

Agree with this... Nemeth can swap with Girard when need and to limit Girard's minutes. Barrie is a hell of a producer with elevated minutes and that second pairing could take some heavy, tough minutes helping Barrie more. Rely on Barrie and EJ for 25-28 minutes a game, Z for 20, and Girard/Nemeth for 18.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Agree with this... Nemeth can swap with Girard when need and to limit Girard's minutes. Barrie is a hell of a producer with elevated minutes and that second pairing could take some heavy, tough minutes helping Barrie more. Rely on Barrie and EJ for 25-28 minutes a game, Z for 20, and Girard/Nemeth for 18.
So, what you're saying is we should only dress 5 defensemen from here on out and dress Yakupov as the 13th forward in a Bernie costume to pump up the boys after each shift?

Reactions: cgf and henchman21

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Hoepfully Landy didn't get a concussion after celebrating MacKinnon's goal. ;-)
bnuafspicntjbkx.jpg

LTC Pain

Jul 1, 2006
Colorado Springs, CO
I'd like to see these D-pairings:

Z-Barrie
Girard-EJ
Nemeth-Siemens
Lindholm

If Siemens impresses Bednar enough I don't think Barberio gets re-signed this summer. I think Nemeth will be re-signed.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
He was brilliant. Dominating. Many played well after the first period (Sodaberg was beastly f.e.) but Z was the guy who took the game away from the Wild imo.

I like Z a lot and if he can limit his stupid penalties (improving his hockey IQ) he may become a team favorit of mine, so much I like about him and I'm weak for physical/powerful players in general, he scored a lovely powerful goal. If I was the opposing team/player I would do anything in my power to lure Z into taking stupid penalties but it's a risk I would get destroyed in the process. ;-)

Z is a huge key for the future success for the Avs, that's for sure, we need him to reach his full capacity. Get him an elite mental coach and I think he will become unstoppable, increadible potential.

Buffalo f***ed up on this one.

Last edited:

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
I'm sure someone mentioned this already but for all the complaints Haynes and McNab get on here, the woman they had on this NBC broadcast last night was... I'll be kind and say inexperienced. Or at least I hope she was, because if she's a regular at commentary she's worse than I thought.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I'm sure someone mentioned this already but for all the complaints Haynes and McNab get on here, the woman they had on this NBC broadcast last night was... I'll be kind and say inexperienced. Or at least I hope she was, because if she's a regular at commentary she's worse than I thought.
Let's call it what it is: she's awful. She shouldn't be doing nationally televised games.

Pokecheque

Whack it Hard to Girard
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Middle West
www.armoredheadspace.com

I think AJ was nervous last night, she seemed a ton more comfortable calling the women's gold medal game a few weeks ago. I hope they give her more chances and let her get acclimated.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->