GDT: Game 66 | Columbus at San Jose | 3/4 9PM

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
While there have been many disappointments among the forwards, none have hurt the team more than Wennberg's underperformance. While some others have been worse, his failure to play at a 1C or 2C level creates the biggest hole among the top 6. A true 1C or strong 2C could have helped buoy some decent wingers likely playing a half line up (not yet fully established twos).
Wennberg is playing like a 2C in even strength situations. Our terrible, no good powerplay makes a player like Wennberg look like he's fallen off far more than he really might have.

Oh and Dubinsky's underperformance on a 5.85m cap hit hurts the team more than Wennberg's. By far.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Both great points... interesting takes from both sides.

In short, you are both right. Wennberg has failed to live up to expectations, while still being a somewhat productive player. Productive defensively, that is. While plus/minus never tells the whole story, I think he has become a solid two-way center that we can rely on. Problem is, we need him to produce also...

Which leads me to the power-play. A big part of the reason it isn't working is due to his lack or production. I'm not saying he is the only reason, but he is obviously one of the best playmakers on the team and should be able to produce on a power play that features names like Panarin, Atkinson, Jones and now Vanek.

That lack of production is what is hurting the team. But five on five? Sure, he has brought a competitive defensive game. I think a change behind the bench -- whether it be a complete turn over or just finding a competent power play manager, could make all the difference for Wennberg. We see the obvious talent, let's find someone to tap into it.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Wennberg should spend this summer completely opposite the way he did this year(in his new GF bed). Working on FO, oh his shot, bulking up a little, also some yoga will do wonders to his body strength.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Wennberg is playing like a 2C in even strength situations. Our terrible, no good powerplay makes a player like Wennberg look like he's fallen off far more than he really might have.

Oh and Dubinsky's underperformance on a 5.85m cap hit hurts the team more than Wennberg's. By far.
In my book, a center who isn’t scoring double digit goals excluding PP can’t be one of my 1C or 2C. I challenge you to find a playoff team with a single digit 1/2C.

He’s been good defensively, perfect for a role as 3C. I do believe he’s a better player than he’s showing this year.

Agree Dubi hurts us but Like another poster said, that’s a cap problem and one I’d like to see disappear.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
As Moe said, a genuine 1-2 center scores double digit goals. You cannot be a Cup contender with a 2C who performs like Pooh. I never said he was worthless as a player. He certainly has some talent. But he is not productive enough to be a 2C on a Cup contender. And I think his underperformance as a 2C is much worse than Dubie's as a 3C.

Plus a 2C should be able to contribute on a PP without losing every face off as Pooh almost always does.

He certainly is. capable of playing professional hockey. But he is the kind of guy the 2005-2006 Jackets would have had as a second line center. He is simply not in the upper tier for his position. And if you are going to go after the Cup you need the elite/semi-elite type of player as your 2C.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
As Moe said, a genuine 1-2 center scores double digit goals. You cannot be a Cup contender with a 2C who performs like Pooh. I never said he was worthless as a player. He certainly has some talent. But he is not productive enough to be a 2C on a Cup contender. And I think his underperformance as a 2C is much worse than Dubie's as a 3C.
It's the same Wennberg from the second half of the season last year. In 44 games he had 5(!!!) goals and 20 assists.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
And if you seriously think he is going to work harder next off season, you are kidding yourselves. Last year was his big contract year. And he did nothing in the off season to make himself a better hockey player. Do you think that now that he has a nice, mult-million dollar multi-year contract he is going to work harder ????? Hardly. He got what he wanted without having to put in the extra work.

There is no excuse for his pathetic face off performance. Yet do you ever hear that int he off-season he went to some coach who specializes in improving face offs to get extra work? Hell no. During this season the Dispatch has printed that PLD has gone to Dubie to try and pick up tips to improve his face offs. Do you ever hear about Poh doing that? Nope. Pooh is CONTENT, and content is the enemy of champion. Put RNH between Bjork and Sonny and we would have a very dangerous second line, the kind of line contender put on the ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->