May 20, 2017
I don't think He saw the ice after the Sharks second goal

well, He may have seen it...from the bench
You're right, him Wennberg and Letestu.

1405ef8a2b1ca9076f904a8c5aee0921-full.jpg

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
What a joke of a third period. But the first period bailed the team out. Good games by Bjork, Bob, and Milano.

Milano was bad except for his goal. He literally cannot win a puck battle, it cost them the first goal when he couldn't forecheck and then floated back and did nothing but watch Cole shoot the puck.

I get how he can score, but he is one of the worst off the puck players I can remember.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Milano was bad except for his goal. He literally cannot win a puck battle, it cost them the first goal when he couldn't forecheck and then floated back and did nothing but watch Cole shoot the puck.

I get how he can score, but he is one of the worst off the puck players I can remember.

Not that he's a popular guy, but coach disagrees with you.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Not that he's a popular guy, but coach disagrees with you.

Spoiler Free NHL Highlights

Here are the highlights for the game. You won't see the poor forecheck, but if you go to 5:22, you will see him floating back and just watching. That's not opinion.

I WANT him to succeed, and he can score obviously. But he has to do much more to become a top 6 player. I'm in California this week and watched the game with Sharks fans and we see a lot of similarities between Milano and Labanc. Both REALLY gifted offensively, but it comes at a cost right now.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
3 games and you guys are ready string Vanek up. I'm not trying to defend his play because its been anything but good.... but damn.

There's a reason he's been traded so many times and why the price was so low.

Some need to temper expectations

Reactions: hardkorejackets

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Spoiler Free NHL Highlights

Here are the highlights for the game. You won't see the poor forecheck, but if you go to 5:22, you will see him floating back and just watching. That's not opinion.

I WANT him to succeed, and he can score obviously. But he has to do much more to become a top 6 player. I'm in California this week and watched the game with Sharks fans and we see a lot of similarities between Milano and Labanc. Both REALLY gifted offensively, but it comes at a cost right now.

I'm not saying you're wrong, however I would rather take a risk on Milano than play someone like Sedlak. He can't float, but we can't hamstring him either. We have to let the wild stallion run. If he can bring offense he's OK for me, the other 4 players on the ice can help him out. He obviously doesn't have the same pedigree or stature but Patrick Kane isn't known for his defense. I think we have to let the kid play, he brings a skill to this team that it desperately lacks.

slovakia18

English? I can't.
Jan 7, 2012
austria/swiss
why always that hate with Vanek on every team. This guy is the third best PP goalscorer in the NHL since starting his career (75. All time in 100 years NHL History tahts good i think), only Ovechkin and Malkin have more.
That says Boeser, the top Rookie that year (after Brazal) about Vanek
:"“He had some insane passes like that in the summer, but I thought he was for sure shooting,” Boeser said. “I thought he would go for the hat trick, then I saw him turn it back (to me). Oh, my God.”
Boeser, Vanek regaining chemistry with Canucks - Sportsnet.ca
Tavares and Vanek was teh same, give him time and have a bit more passion.

Vanek is one of the best passer in the NHL , he need always a bit but in the end he do what all waiting for...

my 3 favorites.
https://d13csqd2kn0ewr.cloudfront.net/uploads/image/file/91935/animation.mp4?ts=1420919524

Thomas Vanek toying with Blackhawks drops for Brock Boeser - Sportsnet.ca

Vanek sets up Plekanec with superb slap pass

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
why always that hate with Vanek on every team. This guy is the third best PP goalscorer in the NHL since starting his career (75. All time in 100 years NHL History tahts good i think), only Ovechkin and Malkin have more.
:"“He had some insane passes like that in the summer, but I thought he was for sure shooting,” Boeser said. “I thought he would go for the hat trick, then I saw him turn it back (to me). Oh, my God.”

Vanek is one of the best passer in the NHL , he need always a bit but in the end he do what all waiting for...

my 3 favorites.
https://d13csqd2kn0ewr.cloudfront.net/uploads/image/file/91935/animation.mp4?ts=1420919524

He has done literally nothing in the past 3 games for Columbus. I don't care about how well he did in Buffalo, Montreal, NYI, Minnesota, or Vancouver. He's done nothing for the CBJ. He's got like 16 games to prove otherwise, but thus far he has done nothing positive for Columbus. There was great optimism for his arrival from most people, it's not like we hated on him when he got here. Feel free to prove that wrong.

Reactions: DJAnimosity

JT29

Jul 17, 2017
He has done literally nothing in the past 3 games for Columbus. I don't care about how well he did in Buffalo, Montreal, NYI, Minnesota, or Vancouver. He's done nothing for the CBJ. He's got like 16 games to prove otherwise, but thus far he has done nothing positive for Columbus. There was great optimism for his arrival from most people, it's not like we hated on him when he got here. Feel free to prove that wrong.
What I can see so far is that Torts is mismanaging Vanek by forcing him to play a purely high paced game which lacks offensive skill. Even the dude in Florida had at least an idea how to use some of his playmaking skills. Last but not least, adept your freaking powerplay to him. It can only improve in doing so!!!

and yes he can be frustrating to watch... especially when he's not assigned correctly
Trust me I've seen most of his games for 13-14 years now
:naughty:

Last edited:

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217

my 3 favorites.

I don't care about his past highlights.

We need him to produce, immediately.. We already have 5-10 guys in deep slumps.

Its only been 3 games, but we need to get him going in a hurry, especially with this horrific power play.

JT29

Jul 17, 2017
I don't care about his past highlights.

We need him to produce, immediately.. We already have 5-10 guys in deep slumps.

Its only been 3 games, but we need to get him going in a hurry, especially with this horrific power play.
He can only produce if Torts is willing to adept to him. Especially in PP situations it shouldn't be tough to do so for Torts. What does he have to lose?:sarcasm:

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
So who is responsible, for continuing to put Wennberg in the faceoff dot , to start our powerplays ? I mean, he’s by far our worst faceoff option on the team, and game after game we complain about the power play , but a lot of it is losing that initial faceoff, and spending the next 40 seconds trying to re establish the zone. How our media doesn’t notice this , and actually ask some questions that really matter . I feel like their whole relationship with Torts , is similiar to the intermission interviews , where they lead them into questions they know what the answer will be . Same thing on the Penalty Kill. Wennberg should never start off the pk as the center. We have far better options . Same with line and player utilization . Sonny has 11 goals in 39 games , yet until the past few games , couldn’t sniff the lineup, on a team struggling to score goals . Part of why we continue to see the country club environment , is because the front office, coaches , and players aren’t held accountable, and answer to no one . So George Richards, Steve Goerten, and Porty(who’s blocked me on twitter because I always remind him how the media here only asks softball questions ). Please grow a set, and start asking hard questions . You don’t have to be a prick, but there are tons of questions that should be asked about this team, the strageties, the line utilization, etc .

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
So who is responsible, for continuing to put Wennberg in the faceoff dot , to start our powerplays ? I mean, he’s by far our worst faceoff option on the team, and game after game we complain about the power play , but a lot of it is losing that initial faceoff, and spending the next 40 seconds trying to re establish the zone. How our media doesn’t notice this , and actually ask some questions that really matter . I feel like their whole relationship with Torts , is similiar to the intermission interviews , where they lead them into questions they know what the answer will be . Same thing on the Penalty Kill. Wennberg should never start off the pk as the center. We have far better options . Same with line and player utilization . Sonny has 11 goals in 39 games , yet until the past few games , couldn’t sniff the lineup, on a team struggling to score goals . Part of why we continue to see the country club environment , is because the front office, coaches , and players aren’t held accountable, and answer to no one . So George Richards, Steve Goerten, and Porty(who’s blocked me on twitter because I always remind him how the media here only asks softball questions ). Please grow a set, and start asking hard questions . You don’t have to be a prick, but there are tons of questions that should be asked about this team, the strageties, the line utilization, etc .

Dubois is statistically worse. Should they have Dubinsky or Letestu taking all the PP faceoffs? They can't play solely to a player's strengths in every situation...

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
Disagree. Part of being a good off the puck player is being in the right place on the ice, and not many on the team are at the right place at the right time as much as Sonny is.

As an aside, I've always thought of him as a trade chip, but I'm glad we've kept him. He's going to be a good, skilled player in the league. He needs to bulk up, but we don't have many guys with his skills and IQ. Need to try him with Panarin at some point, IMO.

Daisy Ridley

Feb 28, 2018
Disagree. Part of being a good off the puck player is being in the right place on the ice, and not many on the team are at the right place at the right time as much as Sonny is.

As an aside, I've always thought of him as a trade chip, but I'm glad we've kept him. He's going to be a good, skilled player in the league. He needs to bulk up, but we don't have many guys with his skills and IQ. Need to try him with Panarin at some point, IMO.
I disagree

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Dubois is statistically worse. Should they have Dubinsky or Letestu taking all the PP faceoffs? They can't play solely to a player's strengths in every situation...
Dubois has been worlds better the last month, but yeah , Foligno, Jenner , Letestu , Dubinsky, all should be ahead of Wennberg taking draws . Also what is not shown , Wennberg gets tossed from face offs more than any player I’ve seen in the Nhl, which means Cam or another player has to step in , and not be remotely aggressive , or it results in a penalty .

Reactions: CharlotteJacket

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus

Absolutely, and he brings elite speed to the table , which this team desperately needs . Perhaps he becomes a Kane type player .

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
The answer to so many questions about what is wrong with this team begin with Pooh. If there-is one simple move that would immediately improve this team it is replacing Pooh with a real second line center.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad