GDT: Game 66: AZ @ VAN - Wed 3/7 - 8:00 PM - FSAZ - cuz Sniper said so

Without googling, what is the stickiest substance on Earth?

• Total voters

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
I found that to be an interesting game to watch. Coyotes got both lucky and unlucky with how it unfolded. Dominant sometimes but sloppy. As everyone stated, the PP was awful and the Yotes got lucky not to be down a goal on a freaking 5 on 3. I wouldn't be as ashamed of it if the 5 on 3 was at least a threat to the other team, but it hasn't really been. A win's a win, though... good on them for closing it out in regulation!

I am also of the mindset that going forward this season the Yotes need to just keep trying to win as much a possible. Draft position be damned. Lottery has never been lucky for us before so screw it and actually learn how to beat teams who are trying to make the playoffs. The culture that comes with that and the experience is probably worth the spots the Yotes could end up losing out on. Just avoiding the insidious nature of accepting losses is worth it, imo. Once you open that Pandora's box that a loss is ok, it can't be shut.

On how to avoid the same problem next season, I think part of the solution is not to have TOOO much turnover. Keep stability in certain positions and try to carry over any good play from the end of this season. Players also have to come in ready to rock. Any improvements will be nice but I don't expect a whole bunch... we will see though. Last couple of seasons, this team has been put behind the 8 ball with poor starts. They need to fix that to start having good seasons.

Reactions: Name Nameless

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Not any more. The team has moved on from it and that’s not a bad idea.
Every game matters. Tell AB the firstr 20 games don't matter.Do you think he is willing to forgive and forget? We could be close to a playoff spot not sitting in last place. Just because we are having a nice little run you CAN'T forget about what happened at the first of the year. RT, Chayka and the players better all be on the hot seat at the start of next year.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
They matter in terms of evaluating what happened this year and how to plan going forward (Kuemper), learning from mistakes, etc.

How much they matter in terms of worrying about it happening again? Even without a contingency like Kuemper it's pretty damn unlikely. The phrase historically awful was used for a reason. That they've crawled out of historically awful territory is a victory itself.

The Coyotes spent most of this season behind the Avs 16/17 pace, the worst team since the cap era forced all the parity. That team was worse than the Sabres and Coyotes chasing down McEichel.
Exactly correct, although winning when there is no pressure and when it means nothing is a shallow victory. Fun for the fans because we have gotten use to not winning, but other than that......

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I found that to be an interesting game to watch. Coyotes got both lucky and unlucky with how it unfolded. Dominant sometimes but sloppy. As everyone stated, the PP was awful and the Yotes got lucky not to be down a goal on a freaking 5 on 3. I wouldn't be as ashamed of it if the 5 on 3 was at least a threat to the other team, but it hasn't really been. A win's a win, though... good on them for closing it out in regulation!

I am also of the mindset that going forward this season the Yotes need to just keep trying to win as much a possible. Draft position be damned. Lottery has never been lucky for us before so screw it and actually learn how to beat teams who are trying to make the playoffs. The culture that comes with that and the experience is probably worth the spots the Yotes could end up losing out on. Just avoiding the insidious nature of accepting losses is worth it, imo. Once you open that Pandora's box that a loss is ok, it can't be shut.

On how to avoid the same problem next season, I think part of the solution is not to have TOOO much turnover. Keep stability in certain positions and try to carry over any good play from the end of this season. Players also have to come in ready to rock. Any improvements will be nice but I don't expect a whole bunch... we will see though. Last couple of seasons, this team has been put behind the 8 ball with poor starts. They need to fix that to start having good seasons.
Turn over definitely played are roll in this s--- season. Next year, boy that is getting old, we better be in the playoffs. Anything less will be a disappointment. Fourth year of a rebuild, no excuses.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
This is the first year of the rebuild. We have a new (sole) owner and a new (not just titular) GM. Nothing before matters.

Last edited:
Reactions: CC96 and Yandover

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Every game matters. Tell AB the firstr 20 games don't matter.Do you think he is willing to forgive and forget? We could be close to a playoff spot not sitting in last place. Just because we are having a nice little run you CAN'T forget about what happened at the first of the year. RT, Chayka and the players better all be on the hot seat at the start of next year.

Did you listen to the Tocchet interview on NHL Network I posted the other day where he said even after the horrendous start, management (which includes Chayka and Barroway) told him the stay the course?

That speaks volume in respect to both Chayka and Barroway we’re going to be patient with it and knew there would be growing pains.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
This is the first year of the rebuild. We have a new (sole) owner and a new (not just titular) GM. Nothing before matters.
Wow. The excuse for the lousy play this year despite much better talent finally rears its ugly head. This is like the Next Generation. What was once 5 years is now an ongoing mission, with a start date every season for the past 3.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
It's not even a rebuild year. Even though we are bad, we didn't try to be bad. We added veteran players!

Added blue for extra context

Reactions: CC96

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville

I agree about limiting turnover. I'd say there should be about two forward spots open and maybe one D spot.

Perlini-Stepan-Keller
Domi-Dvorak-Fischer
XXXXX-XXXXX-Panik
Nook-Richardson-Cousins
Rinaldo

OEL-Demers
Goligoski-XXXXX
Chychrun-Hjalmarsson

Raanta
Kuemper

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Did you listen to the Tocchet interview on NHL Network I posted the other day where he said even after the horrendous start, management (which includes Chayka and Barroway) told him the stay the course?

That speaks volume in respect to both Chayka and Barroway we’re going to be patient with it and knew there would be growing pains.
What else can they say?

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I agree about limiting turnover. I'd say there should be about two forward spots open and maybe one D spot.

Perlini-Stepan-Keller
Domi-Dvorak-Fischer
XXXXX-XXXXX-Panik
Nook-Richardson-Cousins
Rinaldo

OEL-Demers
Goligoski-XXXXX
Chychrun-Hjalmarsson

Raanta
Kuemper
It's funny how a little winning streak changes everyone's mind. A few months ago the fourth line you have listed were all considered trade material.

rt

May 13, 2004

Perlini-Stepan-Keller
Domi-Dvorak-Fischer
XXXXX-XXXXX-Panik
Nook-Richardson-Cousins
Rinaldo

OEL-Demers
Goligoski-XXXXX
Chychrun-Hjalmarsson
KConn

Raanta
Kuemper
I love the idea of winning Dahlin to take that D "X" spot and trading for Zack Smith to take one of the open forward "X" spots. Then we can leaving the remaining forward "X" spot open for a competition between Crouse (Smith plays C), Strome (Smith plays LW) and Merkley (Panik plays LW).

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto

Perlini-Stepan-Keller
Domi-Dvorak-Fischer
XXXXX-XXXXX-Panik
Nook-Richardson-Cousins
Rinaldo

OEL-Demers
Goligoski-XXXXX
Chychrun-Hjalmarsson

Raanta
Kuemper

We see it the same.

Seek an upgrade on Panik if we can. Basically re-do the whole third line. Crouse is one piece, given Chayka's remarks following the Rieder trade. Now just to find that C.

If we pick top 4, that's solving either a problem on D or at wing.

I think the only area we differ is on Rinaldo. I'd probably just carry Archibald as the extra.

Reactions: Jakey53

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I love the idea of winning Dahlin to take that D "X" spot and trading for Zack Smith to take one of the open forward "X" spots. Then we can leaving the remaining forward "X" spot open for a competition between Crouse (Smith plays C), Strome (Smith plays LW) and Merkley (Panik plays LW).
Winning the lottery will make me forget about this s--- of a year.

rt

May 13, 2004
We see it the same.

Seek an upgrade on Panik if we can. Basically re-do the whole third line. Crouse is one piece, given Chayka's remarks following the Rieder trade. Now just to find that C.

If we pick top 4, that's solving either a problem on D or at wing.

I think the only area we differ is on Rinaldo. I'd probably just carry Archibald as the extra.

I say trade the Minny 2nd to Ottawa for Zack Smith. He can play LW or C with Panik as RW or LW on the third line along with one of Crouse (LW), Strome (C) or Merkley (RW).

3A. Crouse-Smith-Panik
3B. Smith-Strome-Panik
3C. Panik-Smith-Merkley

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I don't think Merkley's ready, although I think he could be a trade chip in these significant deals Chayka talked about.

Reactions: Jakey53

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
As much as I would love to add Dahlin, I'm sitting here literally drooling over the idea of Svechnikov on Keller's line. Ho-boy can you imagine the fits that line would cause.

Keller-Stepan-Svech
Domi-Dvo-Fischer
Perlini-Strome-Panik
Sticky-sticky-sticky

One thing about having this kind of wing depth is that some of the skilled players can play lower on the lineup and cause matchup hell for opposing teams.

A top 5 pick this year is going to be a pretty nice add no matter what.

Reactions: Sthlmyote

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
All three have gelled extremely well and are showing fantastic chemistry.
Yes they have. I think Richardson's play is the one most responsible for that lines success, but like you said, they have gelled extremely well.

Tad Mikowski

Hail to the King Baby
Sponsor
May 31, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
As much as I would love to add Dahlin, I'm sitting here literally drooling over the idea of Svechnikov on Keller's line. Ho-boy can you imagine the fits that line would cause.

Keller-Stepan-Svech
Domi-Dvo-Fischer
Perlini-Strome-Panik
Sticky-sticky-sticky

One thing about having this kind of wing depth is that some of the skilled players can play lower on the lineup and cause matchup hell for opposing teams.

A top 5 pick this year is going to be a pretty nice add no matter what.

While I agree that Svech would be a sick player for us. From what I read, Dahlin is not the kind of player you pass on

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad