Post-Game Talk: Game 6: Caps @ Pens | 5/7/18 | 7:00pm EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
Definitely could have called a trip, but "kicking"? Not sure I see that.
Skating into a guy's ankles with your leg out like that is essentially a kick. Doesn't have to be a swinging motion. It was dirty as can be, grabbing cajones-level dirty.
Screen Shot 2018-05-08 at 4.48.37 PM.png

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Still getting chills. I've watched about 20 summary videos of this game, I don't think I've ever re-watched so many highlights of one game.

Every time I watch this the first play that sticks out is Vrana stickchecking Malkin in the slot when it's still 0-0. Shut down their biggest chance early, was gigantic.

In years past the Caps hit the post, and the first big chance the other way finds the net more often than not. Not this time, and it was all battle.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Was thinking about this today: It's really huge that they finished Pitt off in 6 rather than going to game 7. I know some here wanted the Game 7 at Home Demon slain, too, but IMO, it's a bigger deal that they got the job done at their first opportunity.

2-1 or not, this was not a coin flip. Caps were the better team, and they proved it. Had it gone to 7, even if they'd won it, we'd be hearing about how it was so close and could have gone either way and blah blah blah, but the truth is, the Caps didn't eke this out. They beat those f***ers once and for all.

That's twice already in these playoffs that they've risen to the occasion and put a team out of it's misery the first chance they got. Killer instinct, my friends.

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
Was thinking about this today: It's really huge that they finished Pitt off in 6 rather than going to game 7. I know some here wanted the Game 7 at Home Demon slain, too, but IMO, it's a bigger deal that they got the job done at their first opportunity.

2-1 or not, this was not a coin flip. Caps were the better team, and they proved it. Had it gone to 7, even if they'd won it, we'd be hearing about how it was so close and could have gone either way and blah blah blah, but the truth is, the Caps didn't eke this out. They beat those ****ers once and for all.

That's twice already in these playoffs that they've risen to the occasion and put a team out of it's misery the first chance they got. Killer instinct, my friends.

Even in the way that they won Game 5 showed us something different about this team.

HandsomeTom43

May 2, 2018
What a night in Pittsburgh. Partied until 3 am, had a long drive back home today with a huge hangover. Had a lot of good conversation with Pens fans at the bars last night. I guess it's easier to be humble in defeat but I was shocked. That game was amazing, I don't know if I'll go to Tampa, but if they can get to the SCF I'll definitely make a trip out to DC then probably go to Rehoboth Beach afterwards.

Anyways, I've lived in a state without professional teams my whole life (West Virginia). The local coverage for sports is ROOT and has always been Pittsburgh Steelers and Pens. Most sports fans around here are huge fans of both teams, or incidentally bandwagon fans (Patriots, Warriors, Yankees, etc.). I hope I can be forgiven for this here, but ever since I was 7 years old I've been a fan of the Philadelphia Phillies and Eagles, and like I've said I started rooting for the Caps when I was 12 in 99 (also became a Bullets/Wizards then). I never thought I'd see the Eagles win a championship and when they did, I shed a tear. Pretty much my whole life I've rooted for "loser" franchises, Phils were first pro team to lose 10,000 games, but they did win a title in 08. I just have to say, that last night beating the Pens, even just to get to the ECF is easily more enjoyable than those teams winning championships. I've never been happier over sports. Last night was magical and I'm going to enjoy it until Friday. Let's Go Caps!

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
@HandsomeTom43 What a helluva night we were wondering what happened to you. Your post midgame was priceless, sharing that even the Pens fans were laughing at the calls they get. We'll get that go fund me setup in case you are needed on special assignment late next week.

The Chiasson shift with 9 left in the 3rd was some the best ES passing I saw all year. Beagle came on fresh and Chase moved into the slot for a well earned quality chance. Cough Crester. I kid I kid he could have been 3rd star.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I have loved this thread.
It should be saved forever.

That said, its now time to move on.... Lets. Go. Caps.

@RandyHolt - I drank so much i should definitely not have ridden my kangaroo home.

LOL you and stormy represent your fine country well.

They just showed the slew foot on Kuzy with 3 minutes left. What a dirty play its amazing with all the camera and eyes on him yet he gets away with countless cheats.

I forgot that Vrana almost ended it with 7 seconds left.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Just rewatched Game 5. Can’t remember ever in all the years seeing refs conference and make/rescind calls like they did (to Pitt’s benefit, of course) in this series.

Wish the beat writers would have asked about that. Honestly, it seems unprecedented to me.

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
Just read this quote from Crosby:

Crosby was asked if Caps are different this year: "I thought they were pretty relentless the last couple years, too. The games are separated by one goal here, mistake here, mistake there. I didn’t see them give in before. That’s an easy storyline because we ended up winning."

It helps to illustrate that hockey players really understand how difficult it is to win and how luck factors in. Moreover, it also sheds some light how other players know that is not about "choking" but about getting a break or two along the way.

Despite the rivalry, I think there's a deep mutual respect between these two teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->