Post-Game Talk: Game 5: Nucks 3 @ Sens 0 | Can't live if living is without Nilsson

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
It is shocking how uninspiring Ericsson has been since signing here
Shocking? I don't think so at all. He was a bad target after his good season, as he's always performed well in contract years more than others... Giving him a 6 year deal was really dumb. If they were smart, they would have held off and let another team overpay... (I'm not even sure he would have gotten a contract the first day if we didn't sign him.)

Our pro scouting is pretty damn atrocious... We shouldn't even be signing these vets in the first place. It's a stupid way to build a young core... They take away spots from younger, deserving players. Eriksson pretty much takes a spot from JV and Vanek (While a better player) takes a spot from Goldobin, who should be in the NHL.)

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
West Coast
Insufficient doesnt began to describe it... the misuse and misunderstanding of how to to digest these numbers is incredible....

For starters... pairings need to be considered together... who did those 10 passes go to for Gudbranson? A forward? Hutton? Who got a thumbs up?
Numbers individually don't match the eye test. In pairings... closer. Next level is what lines were they backing?

Figure all that out and then you may have a legit stat

Because transition stats aren't the whole picture just part of the picture. What it tells you is that Gudbranson either won't or can't transition the puck.

Gudbranson also has poor corsi, which means he spends significantly more time in his own zone.

*thinking emoi* maybe Gudbranson spends so much time in his own zone BECAUSE he doesn't transition the puck.

ItalianCanuck1

Italian Canuck
Mar 8, 2016
Italy
Positives (a lot) and negatives

Positives

- Burmistrov: in my opinion was the best player on the ice, even better than Nilsson. he's effort was incredible.
he's puck handling was really good, he did always the right thing and was a key in the first and obviously the second goal. 1st star.

- Nilsson: really impressive. I think he has an unspectacular style but man, he's solid. Really solid. Always on top of his game.

Hutton: he played an average second and third period but in the first he was a beast. He was the only player on the ice able to transition the puck from dzone to the Sens blue line and did it perfectly showing a great speed and puck handling.

Del Zotto: another really solid performance by him. He's always dangerous if he hit the net with his shot and I liked him as PP quaterback.

Boeser: You can change his linemates but the guy he's always a game changer. Wins the battle, has really a lot of way to scores.

Negatives

Horvat: was he playing? Really, I'm one of his biggest fan but he must start to realize that he can't play one McDavidesque game and then disappear in the next five.

Virtanen: started really well with two good hits in his first shift, then he does nothing.

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
Because transition stats aren't the whole picture just part of the picture. What it tells you is that Gudbranson either won't or can't transition the puck.

Gudbranson also has poor corsi, which means he spends significantly more time in his own zone.

*thinking emoi* maybe Gudbranson spends so much time in his own zone BECAUSE he doesn't transition the puck.

This doesn't take into account the fact he may have passed the puck to hutton who then exited the zone. D cores work as a team when moving the puck so would advance stats pick this up? Where was his passes going to? Did he pass it to a forward who left the zone?

I saw a couple great plays off the top of my head where he broke up a breakaway in one.

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
Positives (a lot) and negatives

Positives

- Burmistrov: in my opinion was the best player on the ice, even better than Nilsson. he's effort was incredible.
he's puck handling was really good, he did always the right thing and was a key in the first and obviously the second goal. 1st star.

- Nilsson: really impressive. I think he has an unspectacular style but man, he's solid. Really solid. Always on top of his game.

Hutton: he played an average second and third period but in the first he was a beast. He was the only player on the ice able to transition the puck from dzone to the Sens blue line and did it perfectly showing a great speed and puck handling.

Del Zotto: another really solid performance by him. He's always dangerous if he hit the net with his shot and I liked him as PP quaterback.

Boeser: You can change his linemates but the guy he's always a game changer. Wins the battle, has really a lot of way to scores.

Negatives

Horvat: was he playing? Really, I'm one of his biggest fan but he must start to realize that he can't play one McDavidesque game and then disappear in the next five.

Virtanen: started really well with two good hits in his first shift, then he does nothing.

I'm honestly wondering if I was watching a different game? Virtanen and the 4th line were great in the 2nd period arguably changing the momentum of the game with a huge hit there.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Notes from the stands:

1. I am not expecting much from the team this season, but as I mentioned earlier if I'm paying money I just want to be a cheering fan again, and in that respect this game didn't disappoint. Especially after the 1-0 abomination last year.

2. This, so far as I can tell, was a blatant lie:

At the intermission they fired some blue T-shirts out of a gatling gun (I mean, not a literal one) and their aim was... weird to say the least (set up in front of my corner, then rotated 90 degress and fired them into the first couple of rows at the other end of the stadium. Wha??). But they did not give anything out at the gate and no one seemed to have any of this so-called merch. What gives, Senators?! Maybe the ticket is redeemable in a shop or something, I dunno.

2. I think you guys picked up on TV that there was no sound in the arena until more or less just before puck-drop. The lights were also off when we entered, making me think there was some sort of ceremony about to take place. (And it was a fire alarm or something? I dunno). The starting lineups were only indicated with a graphic on the scoreboard. I have to say, there was something pleasant about it, like waiting for a theatrical production to begin, where there's just the buzz of the crowd and not much else.

3. When the shots were 17-4 it looked like it could get ugly fast, but the Canucks pulled a full-on Vancouver Whitecaps by somehow coming away with a 1-0 lead. It was kind of shocking that they managed to even it out considerably from that point forward – or perhaps even minor score effects?

4. Nilsson was awesome all game. He is an inch shorter than Markström officially but he looked like he covered more space. (This is not a diss on Markström, who I think is often unfairly criticized). Clinical the whole way through.

5. Like last year, there were definitely a notable number of Hutton jerseys in the crowd, as the family and friends were presumably on-hand from nearby Prescott, ON. Curiously, though, no Gudbranson support among the blue jerseys in the crowd – he's a full-on local boy, although I guess he has played here many more times than Hutton. I thought both guys looked pretty good, apart from a few mistakes (including Gudbranson's glaring one that allowed Karlsson to walk in on goal in a rather casual fashion).

6. At one point in the second period, this happened:

Yes, we were asked to "make some noise" for Amazon – who did not have any particular presence at this game, I'd like to point out – to open up Canadian operations here. It was... weird.

7. As usual, I wore my trusty Lumme jersey to the game and, as often happens, got a number of bewildered/amused comments from onlookers, both Vancouver and Ottawa supporters. (People really need to show some more originality in their jersey selections.) There was a guy in a skate-era Mogilny jersey, which was pretty cool, as well as a mid-'80s yellow skate jersey (post-V, pre-white) worn by a much-too-young-to-have-experienced-that girl, which also deserves accolades. I also applaud the two or three fans in still-orange/gold-not-red/yellow skate jerseys (1989-1992 if you're keeping score), one which I also own and would gladly still rock if it wasn't designed to fit me as a 13-year old.

8. For those of you who listen to the Patcast or read the Provies, you're probably familiar with Botchford and Paterson's recent "Flat JPat on a Stick" meme. Because I am a goof, yes, I made a literal Flat JPat on a Stick and brought it to the game, after snapping a couple of pictures with it in front of Ottawa attractions. This amused them.

9. Vanek slapshot breakaway goal happened down at our end and that was fun as hell.

10. Horvat was, sadly, kind of invisible, and at one point I actually had to look down the bench to see if he was dressed. Like, not for effect. I genuinely wasn't sure.

11. I was surprised that Nilsson was not named first star, just because there is a such a (dumb) mystique around shutouts, but in this case he probably did deserve it. Nice to see all 3 Canucks come out for their star selections – I thought they didn't generally do that on the road, but there were obviously a good number of Canuck fans there, and Boeser provided a puck to some of them during his curtain call.

A33B55DA-3DB9-4F30-ACD5-2FECAF49491B_zpsln6bkgnh.jpg

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
not much to say as I got the "pleasure" of listening on the radio (well nhl app) as I drove home. 650 broadcast can use some work. Play by play is fine. Colour is BRUTAL. I actually flipped to 1040 for the intermissions.

Reactions: ddawg1950

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003

You don't even need stats for this one, just watch the games. Gudbranson is bloody awful and cannot move the puck at all. Everything dies on his stick. Andrew Alberts might actually have been better.

Deeds26

Nov 11, 2006
7. As usual, I wore my trusty Lumme jersey to the game and, as often happens, got a number of bewildered/amused comments from onlookers, both Vancouver and Ottawa supporters. (People really need to show some more originality in their jersey selections.) There was a guy in a skate-era Mogilny jersey, which was pretty cool, as well as a mid-'80s yellow skate jersey (post-V, pre-white) worn by a much-too-young-to-have-experienced-that girl, which also deserves accolades. I also applaud the two or three fans in still-orange/gold-not-red/yellow skate jerseys (1989-1992 if you're keeping score), one which I also own and would gladly still rock if it wasn't designed to fit me as a 13-year old.

I have a Manny Malhotra jersey from his first year here as a canuck, is that original enough?

Reactions: Jyrki21

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
This doesn't take into account the fact he may have passed the puck to hutton who then exited the zone. D cores work as a team when moving the puck so would advance stats pick this up? Where was his passes going to? Did he pass it to a forward who left the zone?

I saw a couple great plays off the top of my head where he broke up a breakaway in one.

This may have worked last night since Hutton had such an excellent game and because it was their first game together with no pro scouting having been done on them.

I *guarantee* you that NHL pro scouting teams are looking at those stats and will figure out instantly that the only way the puck leaves the defensive zone is through Hutton, so will be double-teaming him on the forecheck to force turnovers or force Gudbranson to play the puck. Which is exactly what happened last year, and why that pairing ended up being shredded.

You can't get away with a defensive pairing in the NHL in 2017 where only one guy makes breakout passes or carries the puck.

Gudbranson occasionally has these games where he's bend-but-not-break defending 70% of the time and is 'noticeable' because he's breaking up some plays as a result, but he's really not a good player at all and will be exposed in the longer term.

Reactions: WTG

ItalianCanuck1

Italian Canuck
Mar 8, 2016
Italy
I'm honestly wondering if I was watching a different game? Virtanen and the 4th line were great in the 2nd period arguably changing the momentum of the game with a huge hit there.

Honestly, I hope he does a little more.
I think we all agree that he isn't put in a position to succeed playing with Sutter and Dorsett, but I also think that he's one of the fewest player in this team who has the potential to generate a lot of scoring chance without the effort of this teammates using his speed, his power and his shot.

Yesterday he wasn't, in my opinion, at the level of the first two games of the season.

Last edited:

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Great game. Nice shutout by Nilsson. Do we ride him for Boston?

That's Green's MO. Ride the hot guy. Sometimes didn't start that kin27d of rotation until both guys had run a short every other game rotation, but the way he rode Marky right out of the gate after his first good starts says he may already be in that mode. We'll have to wait until Friday to see.

Last edited:

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Sutter line, thought it looked a lot better. Especially Virtanen, who is basically is a possession driver. Virtanen is a lot better defensively then Sutter or Dorsett in my opinion. He effects the game at a pretty high net positive whereas Dorsett and Sutter are notoriously anchors possession wise. I'm glad Virtanen is looked at to play in a shutdown role, I really do believe that he can be a shutdown defensive winger. Needs to see more PK time and be groomed to shutdown players more. Dorsett still remains to be bad, his possession numbers are hot garbage. Plus my eye test is telling me he's basically a chicken running around with his head chopped off.
I would actually look forward to a shutdown line of Granlund - Gaunce - Virtanen somewhere down the line (sub in Burmistov for Granlund if you need the latter for offense). I don't think Virtanen has great defensive IQ, but he has the ability to catch up to the play, impose his will on the forecheck/backcheck, and like you say, drive possession that way. It's actually a pretty nice complement to Gaunce-- they kind of nicely cover for each other's weaknesses, defensively.

This idea that Sutter or Dorsett are good defensively is nuts to me, though.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Who thought Burmistrov would push to be Horvat's competition rather than Virtanen/Boeser/Goldobin/etc.

Look forward to the return of difference maker Horvat.. sooner rather than later please..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad