Post-Game Talk: Game 5 - BRUINS crap out in Vegas - VGK 3 BRUINS 1 FINAL

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
I find the Chara talk hilarious. He had one bad game. Just a reminder to everyone...Chara is making $4 Million this year. You're not going to do much better at that price on the FA market. He's absolutely not part of the problem, despite having a bad game against Vegas.
I would say Chara has had two good games and three lousy games,but than I would say that for most of the team.Thats I think why so much negativity,it's like 3 games that they never showed up for,this team just isn't good enough to win on their skills alone not with any consistency.I have no issues with Chara at 4 mil however I would like to see his ice time diminished and slowly get phased out of top pairings.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
So what happens next I guess is the question. A few more no show efforts and I expect Cassidy and hopefully Pandolfo to be shown the door, or as I like to call it "The Harry Sinden Self Preservation Plan".

You really think they'd fire a head coach who is essentially just a few weeks into a multi-year contract? I just can't see that happening.

Reactions: CaliBruinsFan

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
You really think they'd fire a head coach who is essentially just a few weeks into a multi-year contract? I just can't see that happening.

Sweeney didn't fire Claude after two consecutive playoff DNQs cause by two consecutive late season collapses.

I'd put the chances of him firing Cassidy even this season at less than 0.0000000000001% unless he has a total mutiny from the dressing room.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010

Depends if Sweeney's job is on the line. Do we know how long Cassidy's contract is for?

Otherworld

Oct 26, 2016
More time than 4 years?

You still haven’t answered the question, so I will. The only possible thing they could have done was carried 3 goalies for the foreseeable future. Other than that, there was no other choice or mismanagement. It was bad luck that Subban was hit by a puck in the throat. I really think that he was “getting” it when that happened and set him back. The situation wasn’t the Bruin’s fault, despite your attempts to make it appear that way.

They could have traded Khudobin. He is not that special either. We are in a rebuild so whats wrong with holding on to our young #1 pick by trading a back up goalie? Subban lost an entire year, probably even more as when he returned it would take a little while for anyone to come back from the injury he sustained.

Last edited:

Otherworld

Oct 26, 2016
You can't be serious. Bruins gave him games before and he was useless. Last season when Khudobin and Rask went down, Subban did next to nothing to use this this as a chance and they had to rely on McIntyre and he wasn't very well either ...

At the time Subban got his chance the team was playing terrible hockey. A goalie is only as good as his defence. Anyone can see that.

Otherworld

Oct 26, 2016
The management can't control everything like his injury the year before last which really set him back. Some things are just unfortunate situations, like Seidenberg's leg injury. Subban was a fine selection where he was and was developing fine, maybe not as fast as we would like but he was developing and had a traumatic injury. By the time he had recovered and was perhaps ready to be our backup it was a hard decision to make and a team hoping to compete had to go with the more reliable guy. Who is to say he Khudobin wouldn't have been selected and Subban could have fallen on his face leaving us without a reliable backup.

I can agree with this, but if we are rebuilding why not keep the young #1 pick goaltender and trade the back up?

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
I can agree with this, but if we are rebuilding why not keep the young #1 pick goaltender and trade the back up?

Because Subban flat out sucks and he cannot make simple saves at times, hated him when he played for Canada at the WJHC, he was awful and the reason Canada lost. He has not been any better in the NHL. I know people will say well he just beat the Bruins 3-1, yes his team won, but they played a smothering defensive style and the Bruins generated very little in the way of good chances. Of the shots Subban gets credited for saving, how many did he actually have to make the save? Answer: Zero! Even the Marchand chance, was shot directly at Subban's pads, he never saw it and never had to move. You will see when Vegas actually starts giving up solid shots and chances against a team that can actually generate offense and Subban will crumble like he always did and will do. I don't miss him being gone and his trade value was pretty much Nil.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Because Subban flat out sucks and he cannot make simple saves at times, hated him when he played for Canada at the WJHC, he was awful and the reason Canada lost. He has not been any better in the NHL. I know people will say well he just beat the Bruins 3-1, yes his team won, but they played a smothering defensive style and the Bruins generated very little in the way of good chances. Of the shots Subban gets credited for saving, how many did he actually have to make the save? Answer: Zero! Even the Marchand chance, was shot directly at Subban's pads, he never saw it and never had to move. You will see when Vegas actually starts giving up solid shots and chances against a team that can actually generate offense and Subban will crumble like he always did and will do. I don't miss him being gone and his trade value was pretty much Nil.

maybe a new environment will help him, hard to not root for Subban to have success in Vegas. Tim Thomas had a great stint later on his in career.

Reactions: Otherworld

Otherworld

Oct 26, 2016

Subban is still very young. This team and this fan base that want to usher in the new seems to have been just a bit to hasty in getting rid of Subban. That is just my opinion. Time will tell.

Tampbear

Apr 10, 2015
Tampa
Subban is still very young. This team and this fan base that want to usher in the new seems to have been just a bit to hasty in getting rid of Subban. That is just my opinion. Time will tell.
I do think an argument can be made that Subban has shown enough over his time as a pro to give him a chance at backup. We could carry 3 goalies for a short period or take a chance Khudobin won't get claimed or a new goalie would become available. Goalies are a weird lot and I see 3rd or 4th string goalies become heroes every year picked off the waiver wire. But it is still definitely less of a sure thing than Khudobin.

Otherworld

Oct 26, 2016
I do think an argument can be made that Subban has shown enough over his time as a pro to give him a chance at backup. We could carry 3 goalies for a short period or take a chance Khudobin won't get claimed or a new goalie would become available. Goalies are a weird lot and I see 3rd or 4th string goalies become heroes every year picked off the waiver wire. But it is still definitely less of a sure thing than Khudobin.

I agree. It all really depends on if we are in fact in a rebuild.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
If you axe Cassidy, how do you not axe Sweeney as well?

You have to give Cassidy a chance. This is silliness. You have to give him at least two full seasons IMO.

I'm not even a fan of the guy. Still bitter about Clode and all, but they've made their bed as far as this retool on the fly strategy. You have to give it a chance to play out.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

When exactly was that? I must have been sick that day...:naughty:

Reactions: jgatie

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
100%, this is why I think they will be forced to make a trade early if they continue to struggle. The vets will be frustrated and that will trickle down to the rookies. This teams needs reinforcements and its only 5 games in. Top 6 forward hopefully on the way to Boston soon.

Agree with JJ's goals but I still don't have enough faith in their scouting and especially Sweeney for a full rebuild. If he has to make the final call on a young pro that would come back for a Chara or Krecji (while being handicapped by NMC's) I feel it would be a waste of those assets, he has done nothing yet to make me think he is competent at evaluating, or having people in place to evaluate, pro talent.

As we start to watch the results of the draft that will make or break him (2015) it will be interesting to see the results. I don't believe there is an impact player in that group, and as much as I hate the thought of agreeing with Dale Arnold I feel he is right on his evaluation of the first round picks from that year.

So what happens next I guess is the question. A few more no show efforts and I expect Cassidy and hopefully Pandolfo to be shown the door, or as I like to call it "The Harry Sinden Self Preservation Plan". Then one or two of the prospects will be moved for a mid level scoring winger or another middle pairing D, with the bump from a new coach and veterans brought in to go along with the core they will make a playoff run, have cap issues in the offseason and if Sweeney is still here a poor trade will be made to become cap compliant. They will probably meet my request to become tougher to play against because 80% of the fan base still enjoys tough hockey but not really improve much. A mid first round pick or another 13-15 range and it will be wash, rinse, repeat with whoever takes Donnie boys job as long as Jacobs is here and wants his 3-5 games of playoff revenue.

This team was gifted two top ten picks in a young forward with Charater issues in Seguin and a young top pairing D in Hamilton, Those two trades have netted the Bruins a return of Zach Senyshyn, Jakob Forsbacka-Karlsson and Jeremy Lauzon. No one is left in any one, shape or form from the Seguin deal.

You don't build cup teams by dealing away star level players for nothing.

You have to give Cassidy a chance. This is silliness. You have to give him at least two full seasons IMO.

I'm not even a fan of the guy. Still bitter about Clode and all, but they've made their bed as far as this retool on the fly strategy. You have to give it a chance to play out.

I would expect the doomsday scenario to go...

Bruins keep losing. DS is forced to work the phones early, which he hates doing at any time, nothing gets done - we hear a lot of the go-to "nobody makes trades this time of year" and "they wanted too much" excuses, the deadline approaches and they are so out of it even DS can't justify buying, they moderately sell. Bruins can DS for not making the playoffs. Cassidy then canned under the "new GM wants to bring in his own guy" line.

Hopefully worst-case won't happen.

Reactions: KrejciMVP

Otherworld

Oct 26, 2016
Seems like Rask may be trying to send a message one way or another which I do not have a problem with because after the game in Vegas somebody needs say something.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida

Ride it out with Cassidy is the right idea at this point in time, with this current roster I probably would have liked Claude hockey though.

Reactions: CaliBruinsFan

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
This will make you feel better. Kovi and I watched the whole damned thing.
or even better...my daughter and I (who don't gamble) flew there to watch the game.

The poster that was handed out at the start of the game had Chiller on it.

When we first got to the game my daughter got an alert on her phone that there that parts of her town were being evacuated due to the fires. She was upset and made some calls to friends to get her cats. All is OK now.

Reactions: sooshii and BMC

Friar85

Dec 16, 2013

Ok, I am not a Subban fan but I am going to call BS on this. The US outshot and outplayed the Canadian team in both those games. Subban actually stole the 1st game in the round robin 2-1 despite being outshot. The US won the playoff game 5-1. Subban was pulled, but the US controlled that game, put 42 shots on net. The Canadians could have had vintage Hasek in net for that game and still would have lost.

Reactions: Battleford Bruin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad