Post-Game Talk: Game 4: The Todd ReirDONE Capitals VS Ex Coach Who Won The Breakup & His NY Islanders

Status
Not open for further replies.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Semantics. You posted multiple times with your expert txmd knowledge that he wouldn’t be playing. Here is one below:
“ It sounded like some progress was the best spin he could put on it without lying. Sounds to me like Carlson isnt close to playing.”.

1. Sounds like you have some attitude going on there.
2. My era of expertise is in media and my analysis was based on the words said. In fact all those games where he was a game time decision, he didnt play. IIRC Reirden has also listed Backstrom as a game time decision for games 3 and 4 and he played neither.

Let me ask you this. When someone asked your mom how you did in school and she said you were making some progress, does that sound like you are doing well? It sounds more like its been a struggle to me.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
i'm not going to spend any time defending the "no" system comment. i mostly thew it in with "bad"as an option some people were saying. regardless of how "rigid" their system is, they have 0 room for error to adjust to anything trotz does now. not sure how you can argue with that. they have to be almost perfect from here on out - and that includes coaching decisions. that's all i was really trying to say.

This team has made clear adjustments in the past so adjustments can be done.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Thats not going to happen. I see your point but Reirden is going to use Backstrom as much or more than Kuznetsov, Eller will get the 3rd amount of TOI. So ask yourself....do you want Kovalchuk or Panik playing more than Oshie?

This always happens with you... We weren’t discussing what is going happen, we were sharing ideas.

My thinking is both the 2nd was useless when Backstrom was hurt, so try something different.

Anyways, I’d play them as a 2a 2b and play the 4th line a little less. A 19, 17, 17, 7 ice time split. Save Hagelin and Dowd for the PK and give Hathaway less time to take terrible penalties.

Reactions: crab

Tweedsuitcase

Sep 28, 2009
This team has made clear adjustments in the past so adjustments can be done.
i believe they can be done, but they have no wiggle room facing 3 elimination games in a row. each adjustment has to be perfect or lucky at this point, OR our better roster has to just will it (or any combination of those things).
The execution and the plan (including adjusting to what Trotz does), has to be almost perfect from this point on, because of the hole they've dug.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Oh hell. No way did they throw the head coach overboard and do their own thing. Who is coordinating that stuff? Ov? Carlson? Oshie? Their game is a rhythm game and Kuzy plays in his own world. I am confident that they found a groove and started to get that old feeling and confidence came with it.

Did you hear Kuzy's presser? It was pretty interesting. He emphasized something to the effect of 'we finally able to play the fun way and it bring us joy.' Something like that.

I don't interpret that as going rogue though. I interpret it as maybe Reirden allowing some changes that some players happened to favor.

Reactions: Calicaps

Bieronymus Trotz

Sep 4, 2017
Did you hear Kuzy's presser? It was pretty interesting. He emphasized something to the effect of 'we finally able to play the fun way and it bring us joy.' Something like that.

I don't interpret that as going rogue though. I interpret it as maybe Reirden allowing some changes that some players happened to favor.
He specifically mentioned holding onto the puck more instead of just shooting it at the first chance. While I'm sure the general approach to that is something the coaches address, it's at the players' discretion in specific situations. They're making reads and decisions. It sounds to me like Kuznetsov is basically talking about the players getting more locked in and making those decisions better, with more confidence.

Reactions: txpd

Empty Goal Net

I don't smell disgusting, musky, and rancid
Feb 13, 2010
If Nick can play but is at something like 70 percent instead of 90 or 95, then the team and he may be better off if he's centering a lower (3rd?) line. Fewer minutes, lesser opponents. Nick @ 70% may hurt the first line but do fine lower in the lineup.

Reactions: um

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
i believe they can be done, but they have no wiggle room facing 3 elimination games in a row.

No. They cant afford to lose another game. Its the playoffs, though, and throwing new ideas against the wall to give them a try doesnt tend to happen much. In the NHL just losing one game often derails a team leading a series.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

Geez with Kuzy's touch and go grasp of the language that could mean anything from doing his own thing to getting offensive zone time.

I said that I thought they got that old feeling and then the confidence came with it. When they are feeling it the puck starts to zip around and the passes are tape to tape. I kind of think that is what Kuzy meant. Dillon said they found their game. Oshie said something along the lines of it finally clicking in.

If the Caps can play another game like that, I am seeing the Columbus series again

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
This always happens with you... We weren’t discussing what is going happen, we were sharing ideas.

My thinking is both the 2nd was useless when Backstrom was hurt, so try something different.

Anyways, I’d play them as a 2a 2b and play the 4th line a little less. A 19, 17, 17, 7 ice time split. Save Hagelin and Dowd for the PK and give Hathaway less time to take terrible penalties.

Sorry. I am dense sometimes. Enjoy.

Reactions: um
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad