GDT: Game 4: Isles @ Ducks - Wed. 10/11/17 7:00 PM

Discussion in 'Anaheim Ducks' started by McDonald19, Oct 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AngelDuck

AngelDuck Rak 'em up

Boll is averaging 4:15 TOI per game. This is getting out of hand. Way Worse than Parros' last year here

We've never had a player that is as big of a liability as Boll is. Boll hasn't been a proper fighter or hitter since his Columbus days anyway. What the hell does Randy see in him

2. Kariya 9

Kariya 9 Registered User

He doesn't even fight! lol

3. Paul4587

Paul4587 Registered User

A few observations from me:
    • Gibson stole two points. He looks like Carey Price out there, he's so calm and has improved his mobility a ****load.
    • Fowlers first really good game of the year, he was very solid.
    • Manson was our best Dman, didn't allow much defensively and had two primary assists. Did have one boneheaded play at the end but it was overall a good night for him.
    • Bottom 4 blows. Montour is the only one who is an NHL level player but even he has struggled. Beauchemin can't defend off the rush to save himself, it's an automatic zone entry for the opposition every time they take it down his side.
    • Too 6 were meh. Cogs, Rakell and Silfverberg had a couple of good plays but were inconsistent. Getzlaf looked quick and had a few nice shifts but his timing is still way off. Eaves (besides the goal) and Perry were mostly invisible.
    • Bottom 6 barely got out of their own end, I'll give Grant some props, he did save a goal with a shot block and scored on a nice tip that was unfortunately an offside play. Boll absolutely blows, two penalties and provided absolutely nothing useful.

4. Elvs

Elvs Registered User

Sports writer
    I might be overly optimistic now, but I think Boll might be scratched next game.

Even if the first penalty shouldn't have been called, him taking two minor penalties isn't something he can afford to be doing.

He was also benched for much of the Calgary game. I believe he didn't play at all after Kase got injured. Think they rolled three lines rotating with one extra forward after that.

5. Lord Flashheart

Lord Flashheart Squadron Commander

Flying ace/mod tyrant
    Randy is a dinosaur, what do you expect?

Boll is less useful than Ben Maxwell ever was for us, that's not a small feat.

Going by memory, I think he played 2 shi(f)ts after Kase injury.

Elvs likes this.
  6. Boogernaut

Boogernaut Castleton Snob

Since Monday? That's generous.

The ducks are finding ways. Or finding WAY, more accurately, since the way is always oh my god save us Gibson.

7. Elvs

Elvs Registered User

Sports writer
    My own takes from the game:

• Cogliano continues to be our most consistant player. I thought he looked a bit slower than usual last season, but this year he's flying again. It's a contract year for him, so it's no surprise if he worked out hard in the offseason. Sadly I think this is the last season we're seeing him in a Ducks uniform.

• Fowler and Manson were solid. I thought Montour had his best game as well.

• Gibson was obviously great.

• I think Getzlaf is looking pretty good given the rust. I'm optimistic that he'll have another good season. Maybe not as good as last season, but defenitely better than the one before.

• This time I'll criticize the bottom six, because this time they were actually bad (unlike the last couple of games). Shaw and Rasmussen were both useless and Boll was Boll. Wagner has seen better days, but was at least ok. Grant had a decent game at least. Based on the last two games he should have the upper hand on Rasmussen, possibly on Shaw too and obviously on Boll.

• Perry looks less disinterested, and a little quicker, compared to last season. But sadly it appears we have seen the best of him. I doubt he'll ever score 30 goals or 60 points again. If he does, it will likely be in a supporting role.

8. Getz2perry

Getz2perry Registered User

I'm happy with the first 4 games... 2-1-1 could be much worse all things considered. Gibson has looked like a top 5 goalie so far.... and despite missing lindholm, kesler etc we havnt been really exposed defensively(granted a lot of that is in credit to gibsons play). Rakell has done better then I thought at center, and perry seems more like himself than last year which is good news.

Once we start getting players back well be in a good spot, I still think we need to fix our bottom 6 tho, the bottom 4 defensively isn't pretty right now but once vatanen and lindholm are back well be good. Not sure once were healthy I suppose our bottom 6 will look better... but we can definitely improve there.

Do you guys think rakell stays at center when kesler returns? And if not do you think well be in the market for a 3c(I don't think vermette at this point in his career is a good enough 3c for a contender), and it doenst seem like the team is open to giving kossila/kerdelis a shot there at this point in time.

9. Getz2perry

Getz2perry Registered User

Disagree about perry, hes looked 10x better than he did last year, today was prob his worst game of the season so far but the rest of the games hes looked like his old self.

Bottom 6 isn't pretty... shaw/boll are wasted roster spots. I like wagner on the 4th line even with a healthy line up... you generally don't notice him in bad ways, and he does bring some energy to the roster. Rasmussen and grant I honestly haven't noticed a whole lot.

I wont be shocked if getzlaf has a similar season to last year, seems like there will be more powerplay opportunity's this season which should pad the stats of powerplay players.

As for defense, lindholm and vatanen cant get back soon enough... I really wish wed let megna/Larsson/petterssson or welinski get a look while we have these injuries.. its not like bieska/beauch or even holzer have really looked deserving of roster spots.

10. Elvs

Elvs Registered User

Sports writer
    I said Perry looks better this year. But I think he looks more like he did in 14/15 and 15/16, rather than the player he was between 08/09 and 13/14, that's what I meant. Increased PP opportunities could help pad his stats, but that's not what I'm talking about.

The same goes for Getzlaf. If we are strictly talking points then yes he might increase his totals this year. That doesn't make him a better player than last season, which imo is the best or 2nd best season of his career.

I'm not saying Getzlaf is looking bad, quite the contrary. He was just so dominant last season that it can be a little tough to replicate, that's all. But if Perry bounces back, Eaves stays healthy and Kesler doesn't tail off like he did during the 2nd half of last season, he may not need to be quite as dominant.

11. Paul4587

Paul4587 Registered User

I just looked at the whole months schedule and man we have it easy outside of the game against Tampa. Hopefully once we are playing quality teams again two of Beauch, Holzer and Bieksa are in the press box at all times and we aren't icing one of the worst bottom 6s in team history. Injuries are never at good times but I think we have lucked out a bit with the timing of these key ones.

12. Mallard

Mallard Registered User

Some other thoughts:

I thought Perry and Eaves looked pretty good actually, especially in the third.

The third period was also a good one for Montour I thought. He had some good pinches and good defensive play.

I hope Boll is getting benched and Bieksa/Beach never become a pairing. We definitely need more speed this team seems very sluggish IMO.

Without Gibson, we could easily be 0-4.

13. mightyquack

mightyquack Boll 2 hit superstar

I'm kind of worried that Beauch-Bieksa becomes a thing when Vatanen and Lindholm are back because I can see RC liking them because they bring a 'veteran presence' on the back end and the fact BM would rather just send a guy down to SD who can go down there (Montour) rather then waive a veteran player. I know it's unlikely as they gave more responsibility to Montour and he played well last year, but I wouldn't put it past the two people we have in charge right now :laugh:

14. Paul4587

Paul4587 Registered User

I fear you may be right. I'm just hoping you're not and Carlyle isn't that stubborn/stupid.

15. KelVarnsen

KelVarnsen Line combos anyone?

Ha Ha! Of course he is that stubborn. I'll be waiting for the BM or RC comment of "Monty doesn't have to go through waivers so we thought it would be beneficial for him to play fullt time for the Gulls."

16. Montoured

Montoured Registered User

If he does that we riot. Boll is bad enough.

17. duckaroosky

duckaroosky So sayeth Duckthulu

Dinosaur Supervisor
    I was awake for the first, fell asleep in the second, was in and out of consciousness for the third. But every time I was watching Gibson was spectacular! I'm glad he took his adderall because the game could've been too far out of reach after the first if he wasn't on his game.

18. duckaroosky

duckaroosky So sayeth Duckthulu

Dinosaur Supervisor
    I can't supervise them all!!!

19. Carelton CA

Carelton CA Registered User

I look at where the Ducks are now, and have to be happy. When the full compliment of players become healthy, this will be a very deep team.

Eaves-Getz-Perry
    Cogs-Kesler-Silfverberg
    Kase-Rakell-Ritchie
    Wagner-Vermette-Shaw/Boll

Manson-Fowler
    Vats-Hamphus
    Montour-Bieks/Beauch

Gibby
    Miller

I'd take an upgrade at 3rd line wing to get Ritchie on the 4th with Wagner and Vermette.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017 at 2:31 PM
    AngelDuck likes this.
  20. Johnny Caravella

Johnny Caravella Registered User

This just seemed so appropriate. :laugh:

[​IMG]

mightyquack likes this.
  21. Lord Flashheart

Lord Flashheart Squadron Commander

Flying ace/mod tyrant
    An abject failure.

22. AngelDuck

AngelDuck Rak 'em up

Yeah it's kinda hard not to be optimistic about that lineup, especially if this is the new Gibson (AKA he's turning into a Price-lite)

Theoretically, Wagner and Vermette on your 4th line means you are a very deep team. Although Vermette needs to step up a little

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017 at 1:47 PM
  23. mightyquack

mightyquack Boll 2 hit superstar

Anaheim would need an upgrade on wing not so much to put Ritchie on the 4th line, but to cover for Eaves when he inevitably gets injured late in the season and misses the playoffs.

24. Static

Static Registered User

They are surviving and putting points away at least. Just because these guys are getting into the lineup doesn't mean they are themselves yet either, which is hard to remember sometimes.

Gibson has been awesome, but I'm worried all of this work is going to lead us to inevitably starting Reto Freaking Berra for 10 games at some point. I'm getting Bryzglaov and Emery shudders.

25. DarthYenik

DarthYenik Registered User

I fell asleep again shortly after posting my last post in here, during the second intermission. I had to get up at 3:30am yesterday, so I have an excuse.

I just pray Gibby can stay healthy. This coming from someone who really wants to see Ryan Miller play.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.