GDT: Game 4: Islanders @ Sharks, 7:30pm

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Good effort but sloppy execution. Best players on the team aren't getting it done and there isn't enough depth of talent to make up for those nights where they're not there.

Nighthock

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jul 25, 2007
Nevada
harvard-yale-we-suck.jpg

Pathetic...

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Taking Boedker off the 2nd line was a solid move. Also thought Carpenter on the 3rd line was alright too.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
A few people will probably get mad at me for this and it's nothing against Pavelski personally, but I wouldn't want him re-signed for the money he's making right now or god forbid a pay raise, unless it's for one year or something, like the Thornton contract.

It's probably time to move on from some of these old guys, and Pavelski will be 35 in the first year of his next contract. Sometimes you have to move on from the old guard. Keep him the rest of this year, then see what he can be had for next offseason, if this is a non-playoff year.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
A few people will probably get mad at me for this and it's nothing against Pavelski personally, but I wouldn't want him re-signed for the money he's making right now or god forbid a pay raise, unless it's for one year or something, like the Thornton contract.

It's probably time to move on from some of these old guys, and Pavelski will be 35 in the first year of his next contract. Sometimes you have to move on from the old guard. Keep him the rest of this year, then see what he can be had for next offseason, if this is a non-playoff year.
I think this might be the popular opinion around here right now.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I think this might be the popular opinion around here right now.
It's not anything against him or my belief that he's gonna be terrible in just 2 years. I just feel like the need to retain all these old guys, would be just keeping them to keep them.

BaileyMacTavish

Hockey lovin' wolf
Nov 8, 2010
San Jose

I noticed something. ALl those times we lost, I was wearing a jersey. Tonight: Nolan.
LA and Philadelphia: Hertl

I think the universe is trying to tell me something.... :/

drunksage

lol light beer
Jan 13, 2007
Hendertucky-ish
SNOG announcement
No SNOG.

SNOGLossFail.JPG

GameSNOG Winner(s)Result
Oct. 4 vs FlyersnoneFlyers 5-3
Oct. 7 vs KingshohosaregoodKings 4-1
Oct. 12 vs Sabres CanadianSharks, PopaneNightscare Sharks 3-2
Oct. 14 vs Islandersnonenone
[THEAD] [/THEAD]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Rank2017-18 SNOG standings# of SNOGs
T-1.CanadianSharks, hohosaregood, PopaneNightscare 1
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Also, took some notes from Labanc's interview on TV during first intermission:

- they're putting on a lot of pressure on us, we just gotta stay composed, stick to the structure, and just be the harder, heavier team, win battles down low and that's how we'll get our opportunities
- [on his goal] we really want to emphasize this season that power plays win us games, if we're not scoring, we're not gonna win the games, it was a good play, good shot to the net, came to my stick, I kinda just wanted to give the puck to Hertl, but it hit off a player's skate and went in, it was a good goal and we feed off that
- [on what he discusses with his linemates between shifts] be harder, heavier down low, know that somebody's gonna be down low, waiting behind the net, that's kinda our out, we just gotta be composed, know where all three of us are, just kinda build chemistry off that, that's how we're gonna create offense, dominate down low

Reactions: Phu

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
The Sharks have had scoring issues in the past, where they have logged high shot totals with low goal totals. That wasn't great, but at least one could have argued that the Sharks had plenty of finishing talent, and given time, everything would regress to the mean.

This team doesn't really have the finishing talent given that, in my mind, Pavelski and Burns are question marks...not to mention Ward/Donskoi/Hertl.

The Ice Hockey Dude

Ack! Thbbft!
Jul 18, 2003
Lost in the SW!
Not a bad effort, we need to finish the chances we had. Pavs is frustrated and out other big guys where shut down. The kids are doing well for the most part, Heed/Ryan/Lebanc/Meier, etc don't look out of place. They will get better - Martin and Ward may have a hard time getting
back into the line up.

Isles did a good job picking off our passes and limiting some quality scoring chances.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
I noticed passing is still way off, too many partial whiffs setting up easy pickoffs

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Referees were not the difference in this game. I was at the game. It was classic Sharks; reminded me of the McLellan era. 1.5+xed the other team in shots yet scored less than 3 goals and lost the game.

As ON4 mentioned, we don't have Dany Heatley, Patrick Marleau, or Dan Boyle. We also don't have the prime versions of Burns, Pavelski, or Thornton. Therefore, these results in games like this are bound to be more common than they were in that era where a game like the Boyle own goal was extremely frustrating, but rightfully written off as a fluke that we wouldn't have to worry about.

Unlike the games in that era where goalies did legitimately seem to stand on their head and put up fantastic performances against us, I don't think Greiss was anything special. Solid, sure. He was composed and confident, prepared on most shots, but he didn't have to make any huge low percentage saves. His save on that Burns' one timer was impressive, but other than that, I wasn't particularly impressed. Keep in mind, we got pretty lucky on the goal we did score; a weak shot that took a wicked bounce off a defender's skate. How often did we lose these types of games (outshot the opponent by 1.5x+), in the McLellan era, where we got those types of fluke bounce goals?

I really miss the Heatley era. :(

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
Taking Boedker off the 2nd line was a solid move. Also thought Carpenter on the 3rd line was alright too.

Boedker leads the team in PPA, 2nd in PTS, and tied for the lead with A. He has not been that bad on the PP team, but Boedker's good stats are more of a result of the experience crew skating as if the rink is the holiday ice rink in downtown.

They need to skate to win. Well, except Thornton who needs to skate out the retirement tunnel.

Internazionale

Apr 24, 2007
Airdrie, AB
Guys have to realize they need to play the FULL 60 minutes. This includes shooting, backchecking, skating hard on every shift, playing to the best of your abilities. I love Lebanc's improvement this year, but he scores early and becomes invisible in periods 2 and 3. Pavs' frustration was good to see because he will end his slump and go on a tear shortly (Crossing fingers). Alot of other guys are invisible for 3 full periods (Braun is the big one). Earth to Couture?? The Islanders blocked alot of shots and Greiss was the difference. We are paying Jumbo 6.5 M this final year to float on the ice?? Alot of boneheaded passes from our D in our own end are killing us.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
@JoeThorntonsRooster

The Sharks should have had at least 4 more PP's. 1 for 4 and the game is tied and either team could have won. That's on the Ref's as these were obvious penalties. Hedican is pretty hard on the Sharks sometimes. I consider him very even handed and when he complains about the Ref's you know there's something to it.

BTW, I was at the game, as that seems to be somehow important in to the weight of someones opinion.

Reactions: Phu

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad