GDT: Game 4: Bruins @ Avs | Wed 10/11 7:30pm MT | Homecoming

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
BTW, I think the unsung hero thus far has been Gabe Landeskog. He has BY FAR the toughest job of any other player out there right now--playing the toughest minutes by far and carrying a checking line with two rookies as his linemates. His stats have suffered as a result but that line is doing far better than anyone has a right to expect. Also a very nifty move by him to draw the defender behind the net on the power play so Ghetto could be open.

I liked his third period last night. That entire line had jump in the third.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
BTW, I think the unsung hero thus far has been Gabe Landeskog. He has BY FAR the toughest job of any other player out there right now--playing the toughest minutes by far and carrying a checking line with two rookies as his linemates. His stats have suffered as a result but that line is doing far better than anyone has a right to expect. Also a very nifty move by him to draw the defender behind the net on the power play so Ghetto could be open.

I think if you are going to mention Landeskog, you should include JT in that. I think maybe we wanted more offensive pop from JT (both him and Landy), but being the forgotten rookie expected to hold down the role him and Landeskog have is just impressive.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I think it's impressive how well Landeskog has handled the heavy defensive moments he's been placed in. He's easily Colorado's best defensive forward. In saying that I think he's been absolutely terrible (and I'm not exaggerating) with the puck on his stick. Poor passes, poor decision making, poor hands. The things that frustrates me most, and always has frustrated me with Landeskog is how he doesn't see options. He always has such great pass options or lanes available but never sees them.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I think it's impressive how well Landeskog has handled the heavy defensive moments he's been placed in. He's easily Colorado's best defensive forward. In saying that I think he's been absolutely terrible (and I'm not exaggerating) with the puck on his stick. Poor passes, poor decision making, poor hands. The things that frustrates me most, and always has frustrated me with Landeskog is how he doesn't see options. He always has such great pass options or lanes available but never sees them.

Spot on with the passing....up until his no look drop to Mackinnon on Ghettos goal last night. More often than not he is making poor passes. I would actually rather Landeskog shoot everything like Yakupov. He has two decent passers on his line right now. Landy should be the trigger.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Spot on with the passing....up until his no look drop to Mackinnon on Ghettos goal last night. More often than not he is making poor passes. I would actually rather Landeskog shoot everything like Yakupov. He has two decent passers on his line right now. Landy should be the trigger.

Landeskog's shot has never been a massive strength either. It's always been about volume and where he is shooting from. He needs to be a 200 shot a year player. Whatever he needs to do to make that happen (outside of trying to get there like MacK does) needs to be done.

I'm still hoping once Compher gets a bit better, Landy will have some more O-zone time, and chances.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Man the Bruins are garbage. And I say this still fully expecting us to finish as a ~bottom 10 team, if not bottom 5. But I think the Bruins are in for a long, long season. I get that they've got some injuries but yikes, that team up front is basically Marchand, Bergeron and Pastrnak, and then the occasional game where Krejci shows up.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Yeah, and I still believe that if we can get him into the playoffs he'll make himself worth the pick. He can dominate every aspect of the game. I just think hes going to be a 50-60 point guy instead of a 70-80. Hes doing ok defensively, and growing there, so he'll be fine. I'm actually impressed with his commitment to the defensive side of the ice despite probably feeling pressure to increase is offensive production as well.

I think that's a bit low. I see him consistently in the 60s, maybe a 70+ point season here and there. He's definitely a playoff type guy though, get him there and it'll be fun to watch.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I think that's a bit low. I see him consistently in the 60s, maybe a 70+ point season here and there. He's definitely a playoff type guy though, get him there and it'll be fun to watch.

It's the lack of goals IMO. Him not likely being in the high twenties or around 30 will hurt that total, and hes not smart enough to be a consistent 45-50 assists guy. 25/40 will be a good season for him the way hes looking right now.

Just think about what it takes to get to 70 points? 30/40, 25/45, 20/50 etc.. What makes him 1st line is his skating combined with a power forward frame. His shot is above average, but not accurate, and his hockey IQ isn't a strength. Unless Mikko turns into a 40 goal scorer, or Mack figures his shot out. Hes going to be hard pressed to get past the mid point of the 60s IMO.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
100% agreed. Landy is a power forward, he gets lots of goals close to the net by banging it in on a rebound. If he wants to find his offense again, I think he needs to go back to that shoot-first mentality. I get that his shoulder was a problem in the past that maybe hurt his power on it, but this season he should be getting back to that kind of game.

That line has been getting a ton of defensive responsibility, and I get that, but they have also spent some time on offense, and I have seen next to nothing generated from that whole line there. I don't know what isn't working for them, but that line hasn't had a goal when all three of them are on the ice. You can't break them up when that line is working so well at the other end, they just need to figure out how to get pucks at the net somehow when they get the opportunity.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
It's the lack of goals IMO. Him not likely being in the high twenties or around 30 will hurt that total, and hes not smart enough to be a consistent 45-50 assists guy. 25/40 will be a good season for him the way hes looking right now.

Just think about what it takes to get to 70 points? 30/40, 25/45, 20/50 etc.. What makes him 1st line is his skating combined with a power forward frame. His shot is above average, but not accurate, and his hockey IQ isn't a strength. Unless Mikko turns into a 40 goal scorer, or Mack figures his shot out. Hes going to be hard pressed to get past the mid point of the 60s IMO.

Eh, I don't really agree with most people when they say he lacks in the IQ department. I think he lacks consistency more than anything else.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
100% agreed. Landy is a power forward, he gets lots of goals close to the net by banging it in on a rebound. If he wants to find his offense again, I think he needs to go back to that shoot-first mentality. I get that his shoulder was a problem in the past that maybe hurt his power on it, but this season he should be getting back to that kind of game.

That line has been getting a ton of defensive responsibility, and I get that, but they have also spent some time on offense, and I have seen next to nothing generated from that whole line there. I don't know what isn't working for them, but that line hasn't had a goal when all three of them are on the ice. You can't break them up when that line is working so well at the other end, they just need to figure out how to get pucks at the net somehow when they get the opportunity.

That line is built to cycle the puck and crash the net, but right now the Avs are just not a team who is creating offense through sustained pressure. They probably won't either until one or more of the centers beyond Duchene gets closer to the 50% mark.

Again, again, again.. They should get more offensive zone time once Compher gets into full stride. Jost or Wilson also need to get going as well. Both have looked better lately though.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Eh, I don't really agree with most people when they say he lacks in the IQ department. I think he lacks consistency more than anything else.

I guess more specifically Offensive zone IQ, because hes doing fine in other areas. His decisions once he crosses the blue line are just stupid at times considering the physical tools he has. The only time it's not is when it's blatantly obvious he needs to pass, and it's off of a rush because he has no signs of proving hes capable of gaining the zone, slowing things down, and creating for his line. Hes also not a strong F/O guy either.

The point is that he isn't going to create enough to be a 50 assist player, and hes not going to put the puck in the net enough to be a 30 goal scorer either. So which part of his game helps him get to 70 points for any consistent stretch of years outside of a goal scoring outbreak by one or more of his line mates? I'm just failing to see a trait right now that gets him into the 70-80 conversation. I'm not trying to be purely negative in evaluating him either, just realistic.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
I guess more specifically Offensive zone IQ, because hes doing fine in other areas. His decisions once he crosses the blue line are just stupid at times considering the physical tools he has. The only time it's not is when it's blatantly obvious he needs to pass, and it's off of a rush because he has no signs of proving hes capable of gaining the zone, slowing things down, and creating for his line. Hes also not a strong F/O guy either.

The point is that he isn't going to create enough to be a 50 assist player, and hes not going to put the puck in the net enough to be a 30 goal scorer either. So which part of his game helps him get to 70 points for any consistent stretch of years outside of a goal scoring outbreak by one or more of his line mates? I'm just failing to see a trait right now that gets him into the 70-80 conversation. I'm not trying to be purely negative in evaluating him either, just realistic.

Yeah, I get that evaluation. However to me it's more that he wants to be 'the guy' to a point where it's a fault and instead of passing it off he wants to be the one to score the goal. I think he still has a bit of that junior hockey mentality to shake off where he thinks he can just dance 3 guys and score. And as for his shot, I think it can be improved. He has a great release it's just the accuracy that needs work, like you said.

Either way, I think he's a pretty safe bet to be a consistent 60 point player, where the ceiling on that is is where we differ.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Yeah, I get that evaluation. However to me it's more that he wants to be 'the guy' to a point where it's a fault and instead of passing it off he wants to be the one to score the goal. I think he still has a bit of that junior hockey mentality to shake off where he thinks he can just dance 3 guys and score. And as for his shot, I think it can be improved. He has a great release it's just the accuracy that needs work, like you said.

Either way, I think he's a pretty safe bet to be a consistent 60 point player, where the ceiling on that is is where we differ.

In the end, I'm fine with Mack building his game around a solid responsible defensive game first using his speed as an asset. If he can continue to grow that part of his game. Then he can be a #1C on a playoff contender. The reason he is a 1C isn't likely to be due to breaking into the elite level of offensive production.

It is a sign of maturity that hes willing to not cheat his defensive responsibilities for his point totals at his age, that's for sure.

On another note. How awesome is it that the forward group is producing the way they are, and we feel like our first line really hasn't even gotten going yet? We have four players at or above PPG (including Mack) right now. Each scoring line has two of them as well.

Reactions: Foppberg

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Landeskog's shot has never been a massive strength either. It's always been about volume and where he is shooting from. He needs to be a 200 shot a year player. Whatever he needs to do to make that happen (outside of trying to get there like MacK does) needs to be done.

I'm still hoping once Compher gets a bit better, Landy will have some more O-zone time, and chances.

I do think Landeskog has shifted too much, from taking shots from anywhere to almost always look for the pass these days.

He needs to drive to the net with the puck and take a bit more shots. It's fine to look for passes but not only that.

member 116861

I do think Landeskog has shifted too much, from taking shots from anywhere to almost always look for the pass these days.

He needs to drive to the net with the puck and take a bit more shots. It's fine to look for passes but not only that.

World's sexiest playmaker after Foppa

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
In the end, I'm fine with Mack building his game around a solid responsible defensive game first using his speed as an asset. If he can continue to grow that part of his game. Then he can be a #1C on a playoff contender. The reason he is a 1C isn't likely to be due to breaking into the elite level of offensive production.

It is a sign of maturity that hes willing to not cheat his defensive responsibilities for his point totals at his age, that's for sure.

On another note. How awesome is it that the forward group is producing the way they are, and we feel like our first line really hasn't even gotten going yet? We have four players at or above PPG (including Mack) right now. Each scoring line has two of them as well.

100%. This team is actually fun to watch and has depth, hell I was looking forward to Jost so much(still am) but I've pretty much completely forgotten about him in the shuffle of all the new kids. And that's a good thing, less pressure on the guy. Though I still wish he was back in college for one more year, he looks so lean out there.

LieutenantDangle

Barry McKockner
Oct 28, 2014
'Merica
Better than Duchene, but that's not saying much. Both guys should be on a scoring line.

My expectations for Maxkinnon is to be able to handle heavy matchups while still producing in the 60+ point range. That’s what he needs to be for the avs right now. If they want him to be a pure point producer he should be moved to wing. But right now he’s the best we have for 1c duties

SaltySkywalker

Bushes of Love
Jul 15, 2016
Tatooine
Idk, first few games he wasn’t lethal but last nights game he looked dangerous AF. He easily could have had another point or two, IMO.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
The craziest thing about Mackinnon is that if he wants, he cant literally do whatever he wants out there.

The thing is he can't do what he wants. He thinks he can and he ends up coughing up the puck or taking weak shots or doing something ineffective. He never learned to use his linemates that well. He can sometimes do what he wants but even Connor McDavid or Auston Matthews can't always do what they want, they use their brains.

I agree with this. Duchene has had good linemates over his time here. Hejduk, Landeskog, Rantanen (his most common linemate last year), MacK, PAP, Flash, Mueller, etc...Duchene just isn't suited to handling the biggest role and has issues maintaining chemistry with players when he goes through his slumps.

None of these players were fast consistent players that could score, maybe Yakupov will be. Mac isn't a winger and the issue is compounded by poor coaching and a lack of offensive system.

Also Duchene's hot start changes nothing for me. Maybe people forget why we need to trade him, it has nothing to do with his play and more to do with a combination of his contract and him being the best option to bring in a good young top-4 dman. We still need that dman, if Sakic is serious about all this rebuild talk then he has to keep looking at where the team will be 3-5 years from now. Barrie might walk as an FA, EJ is gonna be past 30, who knows if Zadorov/Bigras/Makar will develop into one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->