GDT: Game 4: Bruins @ Avs | Wed 10/11 7:30pm MT | Homecoming

Discussion in 'Colorado Avalanche' started by forsbergavs32, Oct 10, 2017.

1. LieutenantDangle

LieutenantDangle Barry McKockner

Golf Professional
    Heres how I see the Duchene production/linemate argument:

It has very little to do with the players put on his wings, and a lot more to do with how he is deployed in general. Bednar seems to understand how to deploy him better this season. Duchene is not the two way player he was supposed to become. He needs to be fed offensive starts with favorable matchups and let the 1st and 3rd lines eat up the tougher matchups. The last coupe seasons we didn't really have the personnel to utilize him in that fashion. When ROR and Stastny were here, we did. Duchene is best when he can focus on the offense. Period.

2. flyfysher

flyfysher Registered User

Delete

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
  3. flyfysher

I actually would go with Murray/Carlsson+Bjorkstrand+1st/2nd if Duchene still wants out. But that deal has been proposed forever. In the meantime, the team is, I believe, in a good place for the time being. Let's see if 13-9-64 can keep being productive.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
    Foppberg likes this.
  4. henchman24

henchman24 Mr. Meeseeks

I agree with this. Duchene has had good linemates over his time here. Hejduk, Landeskog, Rantanen (his most common linemate last year), MacK, PAP, Flash, Mueller, etc...Duchene just isn't suited to handling the biggest role and has issues maintaining chemistry with players when he goes through his slumps.

CobraAcesS likes this.
  5. Ensane

Ensane EL GUAPO

Home Page:
    Didn't have available? Or wasn't for sale in the first place?

6. Raucherhusten

Raucherhusten Registered User

If Dutchy continues to play like he did the last 4 games then i totally agree with some of you you that he still has to go ... Trade deadline 2019.:D

GBoeklen32 and CobraAcesS like this.
  7. hockeyfish

hockeyfish Registered User

Professional Brewer
    Well, they had Mack, Landy, Rantanen, and I think EJ and Varly. I suppose it's plausible they ran out of Duchene, but doesn't seem likely that would happen 1st.

Granted, this is just what he told me.

8. Bubba Thudd

Bubba Thudd #WorkWithUs

Cantankerous Curmudgeon
    If the Kerfoot-Duchene-Yakupov line continues to work
    and if
    The defense continues to look decent
    and if
    Sakic can apologize and heal the wounds inflicted on Duchene
    there could be a chance
    That Duchene signs an extension with a NMC.

And I'd be okay with that, if it benefits the team.

CobraAcesS likes this.
  9. flyfysher

During the preseason games the guy at the Altitude store said they were only carrying the Altitude Authentics sweaters this season for Landeskog, Rantanen, Johnson and MacKinnon but no Duchene. And he was mighty surly about answering the question when someone else asked him about it.

10. Avs71

Avs71 Registered User

Duchene has found chemistry with plenty of players.

Mueller, Parenteau, McGinn, O'Reilly, Iginla's first season, Hejduk, Fleischmann, and probably one or two others I can't think of. It hasn't been a problem of finding chemistry, it has been a problem of finding players with a shelf life of more than half a season.

Flash- can't play in high altitude
    Iginla/Hejduk- Father time was kicking in their door by the time they were on Duchene's wing.
    O'Reilly- Counting down the days till he was out of Colorado
    McGinn- traded before becoming a UFA
    Parenteau- not even an NHL player anymore.
    Mueller- Watched his career get destroyed before out very own eyes.

This chemistry issue seems apparent because there has only been a couple forwards on this team for more than 3 seasons, and he doesn't fit well with them.

I am still in favour of trading Duchene, but am happy to watch the Avs win and him up his value by the day.

11. CobraAcesS

CobraAcesS Registered User Sponsor

Sarcastitian
    You guys clearly missed the memo about Avs positive day (dedicated to Sea Eagles). For shame on both of you. 100 down votes each.

GBoeklen32 and McMetal like this.
  12. StayAtHomeAv

StayAtHomeAv Registered User

He has to go because he wants out. That and having MacK and Duchene down the middle is redundant, which was the reason Duchene was the one on the block to begin with.
    Future success is more important than immediate success.

13. CobraAcesS

Sarcastitian
    When you have a pair like JT and Landy to eat up difficult minutes you have that covered. Which line is the 2nd or 3rd line right now is simply semantics.

GBoeklen32 likes this.
  14. flyfysher

Actually, my initial point wasn't that Duchene shouldn't be traded. It was that Sakic didn't undervalue him. In that regard, I think Sakic has been correct. If the right deal comes along, then a trade should be considered.

Vaslof likes this.
  15. StayAtHomeAv

You need more than one line to take the heavy minutes. Especially on the road where you can't match up the one line against whoever you want.

Teams should only have 1 "scoring line" imo. The other top 9 lines need to have a good two way ability, which starts at center. And to get the best out of MacK his line should be the scoring line with lots of favorable offensive minutes.

16. Ensane

Ensane EL GUAPO

Home Page:
    Collectors' items yo!

I hate it when "the help" gets uppity.

17. CobraAcesS

Sarcastitian
    I'm sorry but I no longer think MacK's regular season offensive potential is that high while hes playing center. He can't seem to get control of his shot, or figure out how to use his speed to get the puck low and create.

18. The Kingslayer

The Kingslayer Registered User

Whoa you still alive. Nice.

19. Cousin Eddie

Cousin Eddie You Serious Clark? Sponsor

The craziest thing about Mackinnon is that if he wants, he cant literally do whatever he wants out there. There were points of the game last night where he was flat out dominant. Like more than ever before. He can take the puck and just go, giving nightmares to the defenseman. Anybody who thinks he isn't as fast as he used to be are simply wrong. Unfortunately it's just not a consistent thing. And I mean obviously you can't go balls to the wall 20 minutes a night, 82 nights a year, I get that. But it'd be nice to see it a little more than we do right now.

GBoeklen32 and CobraAcesS like this.
  20. LieutenantDangle

LieutenantDangle Barry McKockner

Golf Professional
    I think it needs to be the KerDutchPov line actually. Mackinnon is better suited as the two way center than duchene

21. Pokecheque

Pokecheque armoredheadspace Sponsor

Wannabe Blogger
    Home Page:
    I don't think Dutchy has been given the short straw necessarily when it comes to linemates (I mean, he had Cody McLeod for a little while his rookie season I think, but that was pre-eye injury). Only time I remember that happening was when he showed chemistry waaaay back when Galiardi and Stewart were his linemates and they booted him off in favor of Stastny.

I've always maintained he works best with wingers who are also good playmakers, because Duchene almost plays like a winger anyway, he's obviously got a great release as he showed again last night. I really didn't think the Yak/Dutch tandem would work but I had no idea Yak was as good a playmaker as he is...I just thought he was a pure shooter from what I saw of him before.

I'm not gonna sit here and say Duchene's struggles are all on the coaching/management of the Avs, but it's no coincidence that a core this talented has seemingly underachieved for years on end.

And that is absolutely asinine that they're not selling Duchene jerseys at the AA store. Do they not want to make money!?

22. Pokecheque

Pokecheque armoredheadspace Sponsor

Wannabe Blogger
    Home Page:
    BTW, I think the unsung hero thus far has been Gabe Landeskog. He has BY FAR the toughest job of any other player out there right now--playing the toughest minutes by far and carrying a checking line with two rookies as his linemates. His stats have suffered as a result but that line is doing far better than anyone has a right to expect. Also a very nifty move by him to draw the defender behind the net on the power play so Ghetto could be open.

Tru, Freudian, McMetal and 1 other person like this.
  23. CobraAcesS

Sarcastitian
    Yeah, and I still believe that if we can get him into the playoffs he'll make himself worth the pick. He can dominate every aspect of the game. I just think hes going to be a 50-60 point guy instead of a 70-80. Hes doing ok defensively, and growing there, so he'll be fine. I'm actually impressed with his commitment to the defensive side of the ice despite probably feeling pressure to increase is offensive production as well.

24. linusandvarlamov

linusandvarlamov GO AVS GO !

I watched the first two periods this morning and was very impressed with the team's play !! I'm loving Yakupov !! He's been absolutely incredible ! What I love is that they're really using him so well. His shot is so fun to watch and his celebration in the 2nd made me laugh so hard ! We were really missing a guy with that kind of personality last year ! I have the impression that he'll be able to lift spirits when they're down or at least give a boost of energy to the team when they need it.

Other than that, I'm loving Nemeth ! I was very very wrong about him ; I didn't even give him a chance at the beginning of the season and he has been very solid. Ghetto was awesome in the first 2 periods !

I'm going to watch the 3rd period tonight and I'm looking forward to the Ducks game !

25. StayAtHomeAv

Better than Duchene, but that's not saying much. Both guys should be on a scoring line.