GDT: Game 3: Flames @ Ducks - Monday 7PM PDT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I wondered about Beauch's family yesterday, I had read they were back in Tustin Ranch. There was a lot going on for a lot of us besides a hockey game yesterday, that includes our players. Can't imagine worrying about evacuating your home, then having to play a hockey game.

http://www.ocregister.com/2017/10/10/canyon-fire-2-left-many-in-ducks-organization-scrambling/

That's interesting. I thought I saw Bob leaving Starbucks a couple of times in the past. I'll bet it was him. Anybody know if he drives an Audi SUV?

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
The thing about it is some people want us to be like the Leafs and Oilers and teams like that scoring 4 goals a game with exciting young players. But this team doesnt have the horses to do that. If they're going to win anything this year it's going to be because of a strong, mobile defense and a good goalie with some timely goals. They're closer to the Kings from 2011-2014 than the Penguins or Blackhawks

As a side note, giving Eaves 3 years remains a dumb decision. We could have used that money on somebody younger, more versatile, and with less injury concerns.

But we have a couple of people here complaining how this team never score any nice goals, and how it's the same year after year ... Which simply isn't true.

I wouldn't call the Penguins or Blackhawks particulary fun to watch. Well yes they are, but I think that has more to do with having Crosby, Malkin, Kessel, Letang, Kane and previously Hossa and Panarin, than it has to do with their actual systems.

And then you have posts like this one:

That's how this team will be until the old guards are done and the young bloods take over. Sucks because this play style isn't going to win a championship nowadays.

If we are strictly talking about styles .... Tampa Bay, Dallas and Florida are amongst the most fun teams to watch and neither of them made the playoffs last season. Meanwhile "more boring teams" like Anaheim, Nashville and Ottawa were 3 of the last 4 teams standing.

There's never just one recipe to win the Stanley Cup. Different styles has always been successfull, and I don't see any reason why that would suddenly change. When the Ducks won everyone wanted to get tougher. When Detroit and Pittsburgh won everyone wanted to get more skilled. When the Kings and Bruins won everyone wanted to get tougher again. And now everyone wants to get more skilled again.

It's a neverending loop because this is a copy cat league. At some point a more physical or defensive oriented team will win again, and other teams will start leaning towards the same style.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Vatanen. Fine with me.

And we'd have a potential Lilja/Sutton/Mara situation again. Yikes.

And the Perron situation has been beaten do death already. The guy signed a $3.75 mil contract to return to the Blues, the team that drafted and who he played six years for. Offering him a $3.8 mil deal doesn't automatically make him sign here, even if it worked on NHL 17 ...

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
David Perron tweets about Getzlaf more than our beat writers do

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad