GDT: Game 3: Flames @ Ducks - Monday 7PM PDT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Short sample size so far but I'm glad we didn't trade Vats because Montour has looked pretty underwhelming in a top 4 role. Playing with Beauchemin hasn't helped though. Overall the whole D has been pretty mediocre, nobody is standing out in a good way.

As for the forwards, when 7/12 of the lineup iced are offensive black holes and the best player is rusty as hell its not really a surprise that they were shutout. More questionable lineup choices from Carlyle didn't exactly help either.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Montour is a completely different player than he was in preseason. Total non-factor.

Good to have Getz back, he looks pretty speedy. I wish stupid Eaves would get healthy so Carlyle would stick Perry back with Rakell, he was much better there. Gibson has been monstrous for us so far this year.

Reactions: Magnus the Duck
Jun 2, 2005
Finlandia
Missed the game and I'm quite sad the streak is over. Sounds like the injury list can't get shorter soon enough. At least Getzlaf returned. Hope they can stay over .500 until Lindholm, Vatanen and Eaves return and schedule still look good for that.

evomacky

we heff no effor
Jan 7, 2014
Anaheim, CA
So it took fire and many Ducks injuries and Flames goalie getting a 43 save shutout to finally end their losing streak in Anaheim :ha:

kinda hoped the streak wouldnt end. we all know it was bound to end someday.

had a gut feeling when they put smith in instead of lack that the streak was in jeopardy.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
Montour is a completely different player than he was in preseason. Total non-factor.

Good to have Getz back, he looks pretty speedy. I wish stupid Eaves would get healthy so Carlyle would stick Perry back with Rakell, he was much better there. Gibson has been monstrous for us so far this year.

Let's see how he does with Lindholm beside him.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Let's see how he does with Lindholm beside him.

He hasn't earned the right to play the minutes Lindholm is going to be playing yet. Yeah he's been paired with Beauchemin who has been godawful but Montour hasn't exactly impressed. Vatanen has proven he can play in the top 4, unless Montour improves Vats will get top 4 minutes.

I'm all for sheltering him on the third pairing anyway. It's the best way to ease young guys in.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
Well, Carlyle did say that they've been asking Montour to take more responsibility than he's ever had before, to cover for the injuries. That could be a reason why he's been invisible...

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Montour is carrying around an anchor just like Fowler had to with Bieksa when he looked like crap. Offensively he has missed the net way too much thus far though.

bumperkisser

Mar 31, 2009
Missed the game and I'm quite sad the streak is over. Sounds like the injury list can't get shorter soon enough. At least Getzlaf returned. Hope they can stay over .500 until Lindholm, Vatanen and Eaves return and schedule still look good for that.

I'd be happy if they stayed at .500 or within striking distance of .500

DarthYenik

Sep 15, 2011
California
I passed out after about ten minutes of the game. Had to be up at 3:30 am yesterday, and tried to stay up as long as I could. Probably for the best that I missed it.

Heard Bieksa threw the game puck into the crowd. Good.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Different year, same ****.

Watching highlights of games around the league and then watching this snoozefest of a team is soul sucking.
That's how this team will be until the old guards are done and the young bloods take over. Sucks because this play style isn't going to win a championship nowadays.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
No info on Kase still? Love the coverage of this team.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
He hasn't earned the right to play the minutes Lindholm is going to be playing yet. Yeah he's been paired with Beauchemin who has been godawful but Montour hasn't exactly impressed. Vatanen has proven he can play in the top 4, unless Montour improves Vats will get top 4 minutes.

I'm all for sheltering him on the third pairing anyway. It's the best way to ease young guys in.

Everyone that plays with Bieksa/Beauch looks significantly worse. Don't know why everyone forgets this and starts complaining about a defensemens performance when they play with those guys. And I would argue that he has earned the right to play with Lindholm last postseason. They were easily our best d pairing in the post season. They were completely dominant together, way more than Lindholm and Manson have ever been. Not sure why you would want to go away from something that worked so well. At least give it a try because we have, in my opinion, 5 great defensemen. I'd prefer to move one of those for a forward and if Montour looks great with Lindholm that makes Vats more expendable. I've also never really liked the Vats Fowler pairing. I prefer Manson with one of them because both guys like to get up on the rush to create some offense and Manson gives that pairing a little more size. Fowler Manson is a perfect pairing for me.

branmuffin17

Sep 10, 2014
Santa Ana, CA
Man, people are so negative!!!

I wouldn't call the first game a snoozefest. And what really do you all expect, with the number of key players injured? You know this team will be much more competitive when they're healthy...

I know Carlyle is making some really poor choices (my opinion and apparently most others) on rosters and pairings. Get some of the better AHL guys up here, take out Grant, Boll, etc., would seem to be better. At this point, what does it hurt?

But c'mon, you're not expecting instant gratification here, are you? If you are, I don't think you'll be happy with almost any of the other 31 teams.

evomacky

we heff no effor
Jan 7, 2014
Anaheim, CA
I passed out after about ten minutes of the game. Had to be up at 3:30 am yesterday, and tried to stay up as long as I could. Probably for the best that I missed it.

Heard Bieksa threw the game puck into the crowd. Good.

this video shows him keeping the puck away from that punk tkachuk. if he did throw that to the crowd that would have made me smile.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Ok apparently the Ducks are always boring... Because there's no nice highlights of Getzlaf, Perry, Rakell, Kesler, Silfverberg, Fowler, Vatanen... Like seriously, did you ever try youtube?

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
The thing about it is some people want us to be like the Leafs and Oilers and teams like that scoring 4 goals a game with exciting young players. But this team doesnt have the horses to do that. If they're going to win anything this year it's going to be because of a strong, mobile defense and a good goalie with some timely goals. They're closer to the Kings from 2011-2014 than the Penguins or Blackhawks

As a side note, giving Eaves 3 years remains a dumb decision. We could have used that money on somebody younger, more versatile, and with less injury concerns.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
The thing about it is some people want us to be like the Leafs and Oilers and teams like that scoring 4 goals a game with exciting young players. But this team doesnt have the horses to do that. If they're going to win anything this year it's going to be because of a strong, mobile defense and a good goalie with some timely goals. They're closer to the Kings from 2011-2014 than the Penguins or Blackhawks

As a side note, giving Eaves 3 years remains a dumb decision. We could have used that money on somebody younger, more versatile, and with less injury concerns.
While I agree about the team not being built for the run and gun high skill type hockey that Tor and Edm employ, which younger, less injured player should we have spent Eave's 3 mill on?

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
While I agree about the team not being built for the run and gun high skill type hockey that Tor and Edm employ, which younger, less injured player should we have spent Eave's 3 mill on?
I would have given that money to Perron 2 offseason ago..

Reactions: Boogernaut

gilfaizon

Mar 28, 2012
PEI
I would have given that money to Perron 2 offseason ago..

He's somebody I'd love to reacquire at the deadline if VGK are out of it.

Perron-Getzlaf-Eaves
Cogs-Kes-Silf
Kase-Rakell-Perry
Ritchie-Vermette-Wagner/Shaw

With the way they played, you could even put Cogs down with Rakell and Perry if you had somebody else to play with Kes and Silf.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad