GDT: Game 3: Avs @ Bruins | Monday, October 9th, 11:00am MT

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
That top line was so good to end the year last year that they deserve a few more games to figure it out before they get #bednarblended. Chemistry has been such a unicorn on the Avs for the last few years that I don't want to see one of the few genuine examples of it thrown away because of a few ineffective games.

Reactions: Raucherhusten

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Yeah I'd definitely run with the exact same lines next game. Certain players probably deserve to move up and down slightly such as Soderberg who has been real good, but we cant shuffle yet.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
I am still a bit baffled just how little Bednar puts Duchene out there...

He really does not seem to trust that line defensively...

Which sucks because I really want to see more out of them.
He should probably atleast double-shift Duchene more often..

Put him out there with Soderberg- Jost more often instead of Comeau.(16 minutes... I know he PKd a lot but still 5 more even strength minutes than Duchene..).

12 minutes for Duchene is a bit of a joke even if the game went perfectly well for the Avs...

We kind of want to increase his trade value...

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I am still a bit baffled just how little Bednar puts Duchene out there...

He really does not seem to trust that line defensively...

Which sucks because I really want to see more out of them.
He should probably atleast double-shift Duchene more often..

Put him out there with Soderberg- Jost more often instead of Comeau.(16 minutes... I know he PKd a lot but still 5 more even strength minutes than Duchene..).

12 minutes for Duchene is a bit of a joke even if the game went perfectly well for the Avs...

We kind of want to increase his trade value...

What I don't get is why those guys are not getting more power play time. Yakupov's shot is far too valuable to play there as little as he does. Duchene and Kerfoot are two of our better passers as well.

If I remember right people have posted that the disparity in their ice time comes mostly on special teams, and guys like Comeau are playing way too much simply because of the sheer number of penalties that we take right now.

Thepoolmaster

Dec 3, 2011
What I don't get is why those guys are not getting more power play time. Yakupov's shot is far too valuable to play there as little as he does. Duchene and Kerfoot are two of our better passers as well.

If I remember right people have posted that the disparity in their ice time comes mostly on special teams, and guys like Comeau are playing way too much simply because of the sheer number of penalties that we take right now.

Vs. NYR
PP Avs 5. NYR 6
Duchene 13:58

Vs. NJ
PP Avs 6 NYR 4
Duchene 17:33

vs. BOS
PP Avs 1 BOS 4
Duchene 12:09

So I don't think the disparity is ONLY special teams. I think it's when the Avs get a lead you just won't see the Duchene line out. I'm sure it's not Duchene but his linemates, as they are even lower. But Bednar seems to be using them purely when they need a goal and has no faith in their ability to hold the lead.

In a way they have an offensive 3rd line and a defensive 3rd line that play in specific situations. If the Avs go up expect to see the Wilson line with a lot of TOI. If we go down like in NJ they won't have much 13, 12 and 9 for Wilson, Soda and Comeau respectively.

EDIT: if I'm remembering correctly the first unit Landy/Rants/Mack/Sven I would like to see the 2nd pp unit be Duchene, yak, Compher, Soda/Kerfoot

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
Yes, but not a lot separated many guys in terms of TOI really.

Mack/Rant/Sven/Landy were on the ice for the full 2 minute PP. And Yak doesn't kill penalties so he only saw 5 on 5 ice time. The distribution of 5 on 5 ice was almost split 100% evenly between the 4 lines. 12 minutes or so each and the rest of the time was either PP(2 Mins) or PK(10 I think) Minutes.

On another note, Landy and Compher both had 5(!) minutes of PK time tonight. Avs relied heavily on them for the PK and it worked. That's really good to see that JT is already looking capable of the very difficult defensive minutes in the NHL. No doubt in my mind at this point he'll be at least a quality 3C in the NHL for us. Question that's left unanswered is what kind of an offensive game will develop for him. 2 Points in 3 games so far, solid start.

Rantanen - 15:30
Ghetto - 15:30
MacK - 15
Comeau - 14:30
Soderberg - 14
Wilson - 13
Duchene - 11:30
Kerfoot - 11
Yakupov - 11
Lando - 10:30
Jost - 10:30
Compher - 9

Last edited:

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Yeah, there was zero reason for Blake Comeau to have played the 4th most even strength yesterday. Not a lot to complain about but that's something for sure. Only MacKinnon, Rantanen, and Andrighetto played more EV minutes than Comeau.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
It's incredible to read through your posts.

It's near impossible for you to only say something positive.

It's fascinating, actually.

What's wrong with saying i want to see consistency from this team? Would people be happy if i just start saying Avs will win the cup after they get a win?

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
What's wrong with saying i want to see consistency from this team? Would people be happy if i just start saying Avs will win the cup after they get a win?

I'm generally a more positive poster here and do have trouble reading your posts at times but I have no problem with your statement. This team does have a major consistency issue and would like to see a consistent effort more often than not. I think there will be plenty of mistakes this season but I think we will see more effort this year because of the new blood and that's what I ask out of them this year.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan

Tomorrow will be one interesting test to see if they are actually growing towards something, or just had one of their odd games where they look like an NHL team. Especially against a team/coach that will now game plan for them and be pissed off.

I'm getting ready for a clown show, but secretly hoping for another steady showing. I don't feel like them playing acceptable has to result in a win either.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Probably depends on what side the faceoff is on. If it's left side, I'd rather the left handed shooter. If it's on the right side, it'll almost always be Compher.

Probably also because Landeskog is more likely to stay calm and lose the faceoff rather than take a penalty. It would be tough for a kid like Jost to get a bad penalty in this situation.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
That top line was so good to end the year last year that they deserve a few more games to figure it out before they get #bednarblended. Chemistry has been such a unicorn on the Avs for the last few years that I don't want to see one of the few genuine examples of it thrown away because of a few ineffective games.

I think you mean #blendnar'd

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
People like to talk about Landy but I don't think Wilson gets enough defensive credits around here. He was really, really solid against the Bruins.

Raucherhusten

Unselfish Gif Lover
Aug 24, 2017
Over the rainbow

No offence mate but it's not that you're not RIGHT sometimes; it's that your glass is ALWAYS half empty. Even after games like yesterday your not able to simply enjoy the win. You HAD to point out that the AVS usually have a bad game after a good one. And you know what: We ALL are aware of that!

So my question ist: Why do you have to be so damn negative all the damn time? Hockey is suppose to make fun - watching and playing. Somewhere down the road it looks like you lost the ability to just "have fun". And thats probably the reason why you always focus on the negatives instead of enjoying the positives. And because of that your posts are a tough read.

Again, no offence, i'm sure you have your reason but i really hope that even you be able to enjoy some AVS hockey soon.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
Watched a bit of the game today. This is the best ive seen Zadorov play with the puck. Love how he skates with the puck this season. If he gets a little more defensive awareness and can fine tune his decision making he can become a force. This season will be big for him and hopefully Bednar will let him make mistakes. Hes always struck me as a player that needs to be allowed to play risky so that he can find his limits.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Watched a bit of the game today. This is the best ive seen Zadorov play with the puck. Love how he skates with the puck this season. If he gets a little more defensive awareness and can fine tune his decision making he can become a force. This season will be big for him and hopefully Bednar will let him make mistakes. Hes always struck me as a player that needs to be allowed to play risky so that he can find his limits.

What I'm most impressed with is that hes not going out of his way to make the big hit. Hes letting the game come to him. I cant wait till he scores a goal.

Reactions: avsfan09

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
No offence mate but it's not that you're not RIGHT sometimes; it's that your glass is ALWAYS half empty. Even after games like yesterday your not able to simply enjoy the win. You HAD to point out that the AVS usually have a bad game after a good one. And you know what: We ALL are aware of that!

So my question ist: Why do you have to be so damn negative all the damn time? Hockey is suppose to make fun - watching and playing. Somewhere down the road it looks like you lost the ability to just "have fun". And thats probably the reason why you always focus on the negatives instead of enjoying the positives. And because of that your posts are a tough read.

Again, no offence, i'm sure you have your reason but i really hope that even you be able to enjoy some AVS hockey soon.

I enjoy a win as much as anyone, I just don't get too high, even after a win like this, because Avs have shown time after time that they can play one good game followed by few bad ones, and all I want to see is some consistency, maybe put together 2 or 3 games like this in a row.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad