GDT: Game 29 | Columbus at New Jersey | 12/8 7PM

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Decent read. While I agree with some I do disagree with most. 1 huge thing I disagree with is this...

Anderson might currently be a more "polished" pro player, but IMO he is not more "skilled" than Dubois in any way. He might have better overall straight-line speed without the puck and more pure velocity behind his shot, but that's it. Those are "3rd line"/Jason Chimera qualities. If you had to put a puck on 1 of their sticks on a 2 on 1, or attempting to get a shot off in traffic, I'm picking Dubois 9 out of 10 times.

Comparing him to Dubios or not, I think we need to pump the brakes on Anderson a bit. He's the "next great power forward in the league" the same way Jenner was 2 years ago.

PLD is quite more skilled, yes.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
I was. I will.

542888776.jpg

Crazy what an entire year and some NHL seasoning does for you looks... he now looks to have aged 5+ years ;)

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
I think Dubois and Anderson think the same way. They're both big guys with alot of weight who can also really move with the puck. Anderson has alot more skill and flare to his game than I think anyone ever thought. Dubois has skill too, but not as much as Anderson and obviously Panarin. For a large amount of time in this "PB&J" line, Andy and Dubois have carried the play with Panarin playing the role of decoy or passenger. It's worked. However, when Andy and Dubois don't create chances, they free up space for Panarin to do his thing. He's obviously very dynamic and the most skilled skater on our team, so he's able to do some things with the puck. Recently Panarin has started to get more involved in the line's dominance, especially tonight obviously, but alot of work is being done by PLD and Andy.

He doesn't fit with Dubinsky because he's a black hole of offense, and not a good skater. I don't think its fair to say he didn't fit with Foligno, because he largely played with Foligno when he was playing center and not his natural spot. But if it isn't broke with PB&J it makes no sense to try them together. Foligno is also not the fastest skater.

It hasn't been a fit since October because the coach literally admitted to throwing together that line as part of his line blender mechanics. I don't know why Torts insisted on making Panarin-Wennberg-Atkinson work for the whole preseason and the first part of the regular season.

Look, I'd happily be wrong if Panarin is indeed a fit. Up until playing with this line he hasn't looked like it. It isn't just me saying this. However, they're together now and every player on that line is signed for this year and next. So, maybe it can work. However, we've seen great lines catch fire (Saad-Johansen-Foligno I think it was in the preseason a few years ago) only to sputter later. It could happen here, or it couldn't. We'll see. If it sticks then maybe he has a fit after all. He's shown more willingness to backcheck and effort defensively/physically than he did with Chicago, so that's a credit to him.

But if he doesn't fit you have to trade him, you can't let a player with this much skill at his age walk.

“He's obviously very dynamic and the most skilled skater on our team“ ....

Not just on our team but arguably in franchise history.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Man, Wennberg can't do anything right can he?

It's not like that was a gimme goal, and especially from someone like Wennberg.

As someone who has played goalie and skated out for 20 years I can tell you that was not an easy shot. While it's not the easiest save either, but if your positioning is solid and you get a strong push that should be a routine save and the only way one should get by you is if it's ripped over your shoulder, not down low.

This isn't the goal to hype up Wennberg. It wasn't a bad shot, as he got good "wood" on it. But if you watch the replay, you will see that you gave the exact reasons why it was not anything special, and in the NHL, SHOULD go in most of the time. Panarin is right in the slot, Jenner attacks the "short side" of the net just before (as) Panarin throws it back "far side" to Wennberg. Schneider "cheats" towards Boone for a split sec before pushing over the other way. Now, Wennberg got it off VERY QUICK, but there was a big hole between CS and the post, and most importantly a huge hole above his left pad. It was not top shelf. Boone should get credit for attacking the net at the right time, along with Wennberg for getting it off quick.

Actually to "pile on" Wenny a bit, he nearly gave the puck away on the boards just before that. Its actually what "set up" the goal. Without a little mix up by the 2 NJ players and Panarin jumping in there, that puck gets dumped down the ice....

Wut.

Does he fit with Dubinsky? No

Does he fit with Wennberg? No

The box sheet will tell you all you need to know. That line has over 20 points in the last like 5 games. I'd even wager that line contributed for a majority of our points over the last few games even before this one.

Idk if your being sarcastic or trying to make a point but things don't just happen over night, players don't just groove instantly. Especially not a 19 yo kid who was unsure if he was even guaranteed a roster spot, what position he would be playing or who he would be playing with. And it didn't help neither Dubinsky or Wennberg weren't really doing anything to drive the offense.

My whole point is that "chemistry" and "FIT" are not 'black and white'. Each and every player, no matter what you want to stereotype or categorize them as, is unique. Some are more alike than others, but they all will mesh together differently. That can be said for every different set of 2 or 3. A pair of guys could play together well with 1 guy and terrible with another, even if the quality of guy wasn't much different.

With all that said, and to pile on Wenny some more, it'd be harder to "not fit" with Panarin than it would be to "fit" with Panarin. I don't care if your Nikolai Zherdev or Jody Shelley. I don't think Dubinsky has had much of a "chance" with Panarin. Quite frankly, and its probably not hard to believe, but I think he'd be very good with him for many of the same reasons Panarin seems to "fit" with Dubois/Anderson. Dubinsky definitely brings some different elements than Dubois, but I don't think he's much different than Anderson.

That's fair. We'll see in time. In your scenario I pick Anderson, but it's not a bad option to have for either one.

Jenner was praised for being a big guy who can score goals. I think that's different than Anderson, who is a guy who scores goals who happens to be a big guy.

I understand the amount of games isn't the same, he seems like a committed pro/there's potential, and usage can possibly be quite a bit different, but my problem with the Anderson hype is that people seem to be hoping or believing that he will be regularly putting up bigger goal scoring/point numbers in the NHL than he did in the OHL or AHL. Sure, if he plays in a "top 6"/scoring role, or "shotgun" with a top offensive guy like Panarin, sure, regular 20-25 goal seasons are a possibility. But the same can be said for a lot of guys. In the league and on this team.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
So Panarin did an interview in Russian after this game and they asked him: "So how is this to play in Metro division where there are best teams in the league and the points race is really tight?" Panarin:- "So that's why i had so little points, and i was thinkig what the hell?!! Should go to Korkino(his brithplace) they have very weak division over there. "

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
It was 5 five fiver 5 beautiful assists. & they were not simple passes they had imagination, flair and design that only the true sniper, the gifted can come up with. Bread is truly special, if we didn’t see it before we surely see it now. Happy holidays!! PS: Bread is elevating the play of Luc & Josh, they are puddy in his hands

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
It was 5 five fiver 5 beautiful assists. & they were not simple passes they had imagination, flair and design that only the true sniper, the gifted can come up with. Bread is truly special, if we didn’t see it before we surely see it now. Happy holidays!! PS: Bread is elevating the play of Luc & Josh, they are puddy in his hands

The post I was quoting was made during the game, when he had four assists. And I was only commenting on his turn of phrase. I'm not sure what point you're trying to make here.

ReggieRed

Good job. Good work. Good goal next!
Jan 6, 2015
Milford Center, OH
I had sauerkraut last night for dinner and we won. I kid you not...had a small can in the cupboard and needed something to go with hot dogs. Does that mean I have to eat it tonight as well?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad