GDT: Game 28: Avalanche at Panthros - Thundercats are Loose!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Had Varly as my Draftkings goalie tonight. I wanted 2 goals tops lol

Unfortunately the Avs are not a great team to get good goaltending numbers from. Unless Varly has a 2013-14 season where he stands on his head from start to finish.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Absolutely nothing about this game matters except the status of EJ's leg.

Don't like that he tried to test it for a shift, and immediately turned around and went back to the bench.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I wouldn't put that on him though, he's getting 3rd pairing TOI and is paired with the coach's son.
He's getting much less than that. 6:41 ES minutes tonight. No other player comes close. That's 7th defenseman minutes.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Sam Girard played less than 10 minutes tonight.

If that's going to continue, send him back to the Q. I don't care if he is too good for it, it serves him better to be playing 25 minutes per night there and to play in the WJC for Canada than it does riding the bench 80% of the game

Reactions: The Kingslayer

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Panthers deserved better today. Avs for some reason were sleeping on stretch passes and could easily have allowed three more goals.

JoeSakic13

May 30, 2013
San Francisco

If that's going to continue, send him back to the Q. I don't care if he is too good for it, it serves him better to be playing 25 minutes per night there and to play in the WJC for Canada than it does riding the bench 80% of the game

Yeah I'm not entirely sure why it is looking like it should even be an option, but the way Bednar is utilizing him I think that we should make use of the WJC opportunity for him.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I have a feeling that might be what's happening with Girard. They're playing him less to kind of get the other 6 Dmen comfortable in the roles they're in to prepare for letting Girard go.

LTC Pain

Jul 1, 2006
Colorado Springs, CO

Send Jost with him! He looks lost at the NHL level.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I have a feeling that might be what's happening with Girard. They're playing him less to kind of get the other 6 Dmen comfortable in the roles they're in to prepare for letting Girard go.
If that's the case (and I'm not sure it is), it's stupid by the coaching staff. If they are doing that, though, then just send him down now and let the 6 defensemen gel instead of constantly rotating pairings. Playing 7 defensemen does not develop chemistry.

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
Barbi was a nice pick up last year, but I think he's need to go. He and Bednar's obsession with him are ruining the development oulf our young defenders. Nemeth and Lindholm are obviously better and he's just taking ice time from Sammy and Zads.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I don't think they plan to send him down. They are overprotecting him and feeding him almost exclusively PP minutes.

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
Running 7D is part of the reason. Barberio was marked as the 7th D and got 13 minutes.

JoeSakic13

May 30, 2013
San Francisco
If that's the case (and I'm not sure it is), it's stupid by the coaching staff. If they are doing that, though, then just send him down now and let the 6 defensemen gel instead of constantly rotating pairings. Playing 7 defensemen does not develop chemistry.

Was just about to say this. Wouldn't rule it out though as I've seen Bednar make some really questionable coaching decisions. Not to mention this idea would mean he's coddling Barbie and pushing a potentially still injured Nemeth while stunting the player who has (so far) shown the most upside on the main roster.

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
Barbi was a nice pick up last year, but I think he's need to go. He and Bednar's obsession with him are ruining the development oulf our young defenders. Nemeth and Lindholm are obviously better and he's just taking ice time from Sammy and Zads.

Dunno, I feel like people here are way more obsessed with Barberio than the coach is lol

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
It's pretty clear what's going on with Girard to my eyes. I think he's overly concerned with his D zone play, even though he's been fine in that area. Bednar got has been harping on him to simplify his game, which is great for limiting mistakes, but terrible for creative offensive players.

I'm reserving judgement to see how the rest of his season, and next year go, but I'm starting to worry he's giving him the Zadorov treatment and drilling any creativity out of him, to get him to play the mechanical defensive style that Bednar loves.

He's already playing way better defensively than he should be at his age. Bednar shouldn't even be talking about defense. He should be telling him to go out and play his game, and trust his instincts.

The other aspect is that for his first ten games or so, none of the Avs seemed ready for his passes. They need to learn to be ready at all times when he's got the puck, because he can create something out of nothing and put the puck on their tape.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Watched the game, Avs played good, but Panthers are not a very good team. MacKinnon's goal was a beauty.

I hate how much Bednar is playing the Soderberg line so much.

Carry on...

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
I still think we're a bottom 5-7 team this year but it is nice to get the odd win with lots of goals and shots, makes the team somewhat hopeful to cheer for and watchable. I preferred the lottery position of last year's team but I completely gave up on watching them in December.

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
Skipped this one entirely but how do we win a game 7-3 and walk away so negative? What happened?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->