GDT: Game 27- Hurricanes @ Sharks - 7:30 PM PST

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
You’d think it would be worth a mention, right?

Man, watching that footage just reminds me how amazing Boyle and Clowe were in their primes.
Yeah, they were great, and that was a good looking roster. It bothers me they did not do better.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
The positive to take from this game is that it's nice when the officials do their job to at least an acceptable level instead of just being glorified spectators. But that was one rough game to watch for a 5-4 OT win.

Timo Time

73-9
Feb 21, 2012
San Jose, CA
Tuned in for the last 5 minutes of the 3rd/OT. Was box score watching from my app and saw 4-1; checked not much later 4-4. Real nice to see Burns get the GWG and from the few moments I did catch, he looked great.

Carolina is gonna be real f***ing good soon. They're close to making the next step with some good young talent there. Aho is the real deal.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Yeah, they were great, and that was a good looking roster. It bothers me they did not do better.

The bottom halfs of those rosters were awful. In hindsight, Doug Murray was honestly pretty bad even in his prime. We iced Torrey Mitchell (!!) in our top-9. And don’t get me started on playoff-Niemi.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
The bottom halfs of those rosters were awful. In hindsight, Doug Murray was honestly pretty bad even in his prime. We iced Torrey Mitchell (!!) in our top-9. And don’t get me started on playoff-Niemi.
It's like the inverse of the current Sharks. Good top 6, no forward depth, mediocre D and horrible goaltending.

Reactions: Pavelski2112

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
It's like the inverse of the current Sharks. Good top 6, no forward depth, mediocre D and horrible goaltending.

Exactly. It’s so frustrating to me that the Sharks couldn’t manage to get adequate depth while Thornton, Boyle, and Marleau were in their prime. I know that sentence is practically a siren call for OrrNumber4 to “well, actually” me but come on! If those three had had a better supporting cast than Douglas Murray, Torrey Mitchell, Michal Handguns, Marcel Goc, whichever of Kent Huskins/Nic Wallin/Jim Vandermeer/Colin White was the flavor of the year, who knows what would have happened. And don’t get me started on Niemi. He was honestly an average goaltender in the regular season, but as soon as it got to playoff time he turned into a total sieve. There is no one in hockey that cost Thornton/Marleau/Boyle more than Niemi did.

Imagine if our D in 2011 had been Boyle/Vlasic/Braun/White/Ryan/Heed/DeMelo? Boyle was a strong enough #1D that the rest of the D corps could survive just by being adequate puck-movers! And give that team playoff-Martin Jones? Man, what could have been.

Reactions: Pavelski2112

Munnyro

Jul 15, 2013
Sacramento, CA
Niemi cost the Sharks a few playoffs. On the bright side we got 1 year of All-Star John Scott and Timo Meier because of the reverse sweep.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Exactly. It’s so frustrating to me that the Sharks couldn’t manage to get adequate depth while Thornton, Boyle, and Marleau were in their prime. I know that sentence is practically a siren call for OrrNumber4 to “well, actually” me but come on! If those three had had a better supporting cast than Douglas Murray, Torrey Mitchell, Michal Handguns, Marcel Goc, whichever of Kent Huskins/Nic Wallin/Jim Vandermeer/Colin White was the flavor of the year, who knows what would have happened. And don’t get me started on Niemi. He was honestly an average goaltender in the regular season, but as soon as it got to playoff time he turned into a total sieve. There is no one in hockey that cost Thornton/Marleau/Boyle more than Niemi did.

Imagine if our D in 2011 had been Boyle/Vlasic/Braun/White/Ryan/Heed/DeMelo? Boyle was a strong enough #1D that the rest of the D corps could survive just by being adequate puck-movers! And give that team playoff-Martin Jones? Man, what could have been.
It really makes you wonder about Doug. When the team needed depth the most, he loaded up on top 6 talent and ignored depth. When the team currently needs top 6 talent the most, he loads up on redundant depth players.

Getting the entire organization to move away from slow defensive defenseman has been incredibly difficult, but it looks like it's finally happening.

Niemi was just brutal to watch. In that LA game I referenced above, at least 3 of those goals were just soft, and he always, always, always, always gave up bad goals. Demoralizing goals.

slocal

Dude...what?
May 4, 2010
Central Coast CA
I particularly can't stand that "What's a Computer?" iPad commercial. An iPad has memory, storage, a display, and uses an operating system to translate code into programs controlled by user input. That's literally the definition of a Computer, you snobby elitist brat. (the girl in the commercial, not you).

I took it as she is soooo Apple, she literally doesnt know what a computer is. She'd be like, "oh you mean an iMac."

Reactions: Bizz

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
I took it as she is soooo Apple, she literally doesnt know what a computer is. She'd be like, "oh you mean an iMac."

It's just Apple trying to declare the death of the Personal Computer again just like Steve Jobs tried, and failed miserably, at doing when the iPad came out.

Reactions: slocal

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
I particularly can't stand that "What's a Computer?" iPad commercial. An iPad has memory, storage, a display, and uses an operating system to translate code into programs controlled by user input. That's literally the definition of a Computer, you snobby elitist brat. (the girl in the commercial, not you).

I can't like this post enough.

The first time I saw it I couldn't help but say to myself................"Oh..., f*** Off."

And laugh out loud at this software not letting you make multiple spaces in between words :laugh:

Reactions: KirbyDots

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
I can't like this post enough.

The first time I saw it I couldn't help but say to myself................"Oh..., **** Off."

And laugh out loud at this software not letting you make multiple spaces in between words :laugh:
Holy crap that commercial is the worst! I can't stand that snobby little hipster girl. She knows damn well what a computer is!:ha::laugh:

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I feel like a lot of tech commercials now pander to peoples' stupidity/laziness/snobbery in a way that should be patronizing but ends up just being tacitly accepted.

There's a commercial for the broader launch of Amazon Alexa in Canada that begins with a woman saying "Alexa, what's the weather?" As she looks out the goddamn window. You can SEE that it's snowing outside you idiot. You don't need your prototype skynet AI reading the report from the Weather Network's website to tell you that. Crimeny.... :facepalm:

Of course, I'm also I guess showing some stuffy-old-guy traits simply by the fact that the laziness factor of telling the computer thing to set your thermostat or order staples like paper towels (which should never be an issue to buy from a grocery store) seems like a lazy tradeoff for the risk factors of having your entire house computerized.

More pedantically, there's an Amazon commercial with a bunch of packages singing Supertramp's "Give a Little Bit" and when it gets to the last verse used in the commercial "so send a smile/and show you care" the ad changes it up to "so send a smile/and show that you care" and it infuriates me because it throws off the whole tempo/cadence of the song.

EVEN MORE PEDANTICALLY (if that's possible), every time I see another film trailer flash the words "based on a true story/true events" on screen, I want to punch something. I'm sick of fake true story bull****. Write your own god damn original tales, hollywood. or at least adapt other fiction. I don't want my movies to be nothing but incredibly massaged sorta-real-world stories.

#MaximumPedantry.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002

Well, actually <fill in the rest here>.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I feel like a lot of tech commercials now pander to peoples' stupidity/laziness/snobbery in a way that should be patronizing but ends up just being tacitly accepted.

There's a commercial for the broader launch of Amazon Alexa in Canada that begins with a woman saying "Alexa, what's the weather?" As she looks out the goddamn window. You can SEE that it's snowing outside you idiot. You don't need your prototype skynet AI reading the report from the Weather Network's website to tell you that. Crimeny.... :facepalm:

Of course, I'm also I guess showing some stuffy-old-guy traits simply by the fact that the laziness factor of telling the computer thing to set your thermostat or order staples like paper towels (which should never be an issue to buy from a grocery store) seems like a lazy tradeoff for the risk factors of having your entire house computerized.

More pedantically, there's an Amazon commercial with a bunch of packages singing Supertramp's "Give a Little Bit" and when it gets to the last verse used in the commercial "so send a smile/and show you care" the ad changes it up to "so send a smile/and show that you care" and it infuriates me because it throws off the whole tempo/cadence of the song.

EVEN MORE PEDANTICALLY (if that's possible), every time I see another film trailer flash the words "based on a true story/true events" on screen, I want to punch something. I'm sick of fake true story bull****. Write your own god damn original tales, hollywood. or at least adapt other fiction. I don't want my movies to be nothing but incredibly massaged sorta-real-world stories.

#MaximumPedantry.
yo fargo's amazing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad