GDT: Game #25 | St. Louis Blues vs Anaheim Ducks | Berglund is Back Edition!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
o9yKhCn.gif

mGFv5es.jpg

92eb68687a96cac0b188b9793ced71fe.gif

HdsifC7.jpg

tumblr_maiwufifUb1r9svr1.gif

OQkSdIR.png

tumblr_ojg0coBPwy1tbv1f7o1_500.gif

9ietVNJ.jpg

RJHCz4O.png

LtoWRwB.png

bcUzWdt.png

tumblr_ljjqloWjDV1qcjxmh.gif

Yx6uvzp.png

ymPbrU0.png

adyA1I4.png

qatNw8s.png

tumblr_m141m40FZr1qmrfbao1_500.gif

Last edited:

shpongle falls

Ass Möde
Oct 1, 2014
The Night Train
So glad Bergie is finally back in the lineup! About a couple months ago I was planning to make a trip to St Louis to see this game in person since I don't work on Wednesdays, but I ended up not being able to go since I'm broke and couldn't save enough money for it. Would have been a hell of a fun game to go to I'm sure.

Also this immortal gif :D

zSIvBBv_-_Imgur.0.gif

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
Wtf are they putting in the water in Anaheim?? That injured list is bruuuuuuuuutal.

Expecting a fairly low scoring game here.

Glad Bergy is back against an AHL group of forwards that traded for Perry, Cogs and Silf.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
Dat ANA lineup tho. I can’t wait to see a Berglund with two working shoulders in action. I really think he’s going to make the 3rd line click, and having him on the PP should help a lot as well. As good as Sobotka has been, Berglund has the potential to put up proportional numbers to him, IMO. Just need to get that 2RW to bump Steen or Sobotka to the 3rd line and we e got three legitimate scoring lines that can also shutdown their competition.

Reactions: shmotz

elkranio

Jan 4, 2014
Yeo said it will take JBo 10-15 games to catch up. I wonder how rusty Bergie really is.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
I knew ANA were hit hard by injuries but good god. Seeing their lineup, I didn’t realize it was that bad. That being said, the Blues are at home coming off a nice rest and the Ducks are coming off a bad loss Monday. Keeping with tradition I expect the Ducks to heavily outplay the Blues in the first period and probably get a goal up on them. I expect the the Blues to ultimately win but they won’t make it easy. Good to have Berglund back.

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
We already know Bergie and Jaskin has chemistry together. So I hope Blais clicks well with those 2, plus Bergie and Jaskin should help overcome some of Blais' rookie mistakes. I really like that line makeup, I have no doubt Jaskin and Bergie will continue to cycling. This gives Blais opportunity to find shooting lanes and fire the puck. So much potential with that line.

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
I'm not sure how much to expect from Berglund right now. It took him a half season to fully recover after the last shoulder surgery. It could very well take that long again. If we get half of the output he had last year for the remainder of this year, it will be a huge upgrade.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
We already know Bergie and Jaskin has chemistry together. So I hope Blais clicks well with those 2, plus Bergie and Jaskin should help overcome some of Blais' rookie mistakes. I really like that line makeup, I have no doubt Jaskin and Bergie will continue to cycling. This gives Blais opportunity to find shooting lanes and fire the puck. So much potential with that line.

They don't really. They can cycle the puck til Ragnorak between the two of them. In terms of putting it in the net, the driver when they were together was Stastny to actually take the puck off the boards and put it to someone in a scoring position. Jury's out on whether Slammin Sammy Blais can be that guy. Berglund can create for himself, so he is a huge upgrade. But he has never created for others, no matter how well the line did. Don't expect too much from his return or you are just setting yourself up for disappointment. He's an upgrade to be sure, but he is not going to make our 3/4th line tweeners look like scoring threats. He's never shown that to be in his skillset.

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
They don't really. They can cycle the puck til Ragnorak between the two of them. In terms of putting it in the net, the driver when they were together was Stastny to actually take the puck off the boards and put it to someone in a scoring position. Jury's out on whether Slammin Sammy Blais can be that guy. Berglund can create for himself, so he is a huge upgrade. But he has never created for others, no matter how well the line did. Don't expect too much from his return or you are just setting yourself up for disappointment. He's an upgrade to be sure, but he is not going to make our 3/4th line tweeners look like scoring threats. He's never shown that to be in his skillset.

How do they not? Jaskin's rookie year was spent nearly entirely with Berglund (Except a handful of games due to Jaden being hurt). Yeah Stastny was on that line, but Jaskin and Pauly has proven they don't have it together. I don't expect Bergie to magically be a playmaker and stack up assists. He is no doubt the shooter on that line. So far this season that was the biggest void on that 3rd line, none of them are shooters. We all have already seen what happens when other teams are able to contain our top 6. We get shutout. So yeah I do think Bergie DOES make our 3rd line a scoring threat.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
The Ducks are going to get another clown-pounding. You don't call up half of your forwards from the AHL and expect to receive NHL-caliber defense from those guys. I'd expect our D to be active and get on the scoreboard again tonight. Putting up anything less than 6 against that roster would be surprising.

so naturally it will be a 3-1 defeat.

Reactions: The Note

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
How do they not? Jaskin's rookie year was spent nearly entirely with Berglund (Except a handful of games due to Jaden being hurt). Yeah Stastny was on that line, but Jaskin and Pauly has proven they don't have it together. I don't expect Bergie to magically be a playmaker and stack up assists. He is no doubt the shooter on that line. So far this season that was the biggest void on that 3rd line, none of them are shooters. We all have already seen what happens when other teams are able to contain our top 6. We get shutout. So yeah I do think Bergie DOES make our 3rd line a scoring threat.

Advanced stats. During the 2014/15 season, Jaskin and Stastny without Berglund put up goals at 4.47 g/60 pace. Jaskin and Berglund w/o Stastny put them up at a 2.85 g/60 pace. When all 3 were on the ice together, they put them up at a 2.24 G/60 pace. The same can be said for almost all offensive stats, and % stats (Corsi, Fenwick, GF, Scoring Chances). Stastny+Jaskin+other > Berglund + Jaskin+other > All 3.

Taking Stastny out of the WOWY picture, Jaskin's numbers without Berglund were better, but Berglund's goals for numbers are worse without Jaskin. Jaskin played 1/3 of his ice-time away from Berglund, so it is not a insignificant sample size either. Last year, the trend was the same. Jaskin played better offensively without Berglund.

(Stats found on Natural Stat Trick).

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
Advanced stats. During the 2014/15 season, Jaskin and Stastny without Berglund put up goals at 4.47 g/60 pace. Jaskin and Berglund w/o Stastny put them up at a 2.85 g/60 pace. When all 3 were on the ice together, they put them up at a 2.24 G/60 pace. The same can be said for almost all offensive stats, and % stats (Corsi, Fenwick, GF, Scoring Chances). Stastny+Jaskin+other > Berglund + Jaskin+other > All 3.

Taking Stastny out of the WOWY picture, Jaskin's numbers without Berglund were better, but Berglund's goals for numbers are worse without Jaskin. Jaskin played 1/3 of his ice-time away from Berglund, so it is not a insignificant sample size either. Last year, the trend was the same. Jaskin played better offensively without Berglund.

(Stats found on Natural Stat Trick).

Ahh yes, the joys of advanced stats. Its no secret Stastny made Jaskin look better in his rookie year. But we cannot put Stas in this year's equation for the 3rd line. Jaskin and Stastny might have put up that G/60 that year but haven't been able to recreate that scoring on the ice since then. The eye test that year showed Bergie and Jaskin playing well together. At the end of the day I'm gonna give it 10-15 games of them together before I'm ready to call it a no go. I'm still a firm believer in those two were impacted quite a bit by Hitch and Jaskin for example is looking more and more like he did his rookie year in the offensive zone.

Mar 6, 2012
The central division is nuts. I hadn't been paying that close of attention. I knew Winnipeg had been doing well, but man, the Jets and Predators are both just 2 points behind us right now... and that's crazy because the Blues haven't really stopped being hot.

Weren't the Blues like 7 points in the lead like 2 weeks ago?

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
The central division is nuts. I hadn't been paying that close of attention. I knew Winnipeg had been doing well, but man, the Jets and Predators are both just 2 points behind us right now... and that's crazy because the Blues haven't really stopped being hot.

Weren't the Blues like 7 points in the lead like 2 weeks ago?
No, they've had games in hand. They just won those games.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Ahh yes, the joys of advanced stats. Its no secret Stastny made Jaskin look better in his rookie year. But we cannot put Stas in this year's equation for the 3rd line. Jaskin and Stastny might have put up that G/60 that year but haven't been able to recreate that scoring on the ice since then. The eye test that year showed Bergie and Jaskin playing well together. At the end of the day I'm gonna give it 10-15 games of them together before I'm ready to call it a no go. I'm still a firm believer in those two were impacted quite a bit by Hitch and Jaskin for example is looking more and more like he did his rookie year in the offensive zone.

They looked good because they dominated possession, but that doesn't translate to putting the puck into the net as often as you may think. I'm not saying that we shouldn't put them together, or that we should move Stastny down to the 3rd line. I am just saying to temper expectations. Berglund does not make other people better, he just doesn't. You can knock advanced stats if you want, but Goals scored with Berglund and goals scored without is fairly cut and dry. Berglund coming back will boost the 3rd line because we don't have 3rd line caliber players there currently and he is able to score. However, don't expect that suddenly Jaskin will look like a goal-scoring dynamo because of his chemistry with Berglund. There were many other and more important factors that led to Jaskin's goal-scoring prowess that season besides Berglund. Berglund and Jaskin are too similarly focused on possession. There needs to be someone there to put the puck in scoring position. That was Stastny, it will come down to Blais tonight.

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
They looked good because they dominated possession, but that doesn't translate to putting the puck into the net as often as you may think. I'm not saying that we shouldn't put them together, or that we should move Stastny down to the 3rd line. I am just saying to temper expectations. Berglund does not make other people better, he just doesn't. You can knock advanced stats if you want, but Goals scored with Berglund and goals scored without is fairly cut and dry. Berglund coming back will boost the 3rd line because we don't have 3rd line caliber players there currently and he is able to score. However, don't expect that suddenly Jaskin will look like a goal-scoring dynamo because of his chemistry with Berglund. There were many other and more important factors that led to Jaskin's goal-scoring prowess that season besides Berglund. Berglund and Jaskin are too similarly focused on possession. There needs to be someone there to put the puck in scoring position. That was Stastny, it will come down to Blais tonight.

My expectations are based on what our current 3rd line has produced. They have been a non factor offensively in nearly every single game this year. I feel Bergie on that line is a massive improvement. I don't expect nor will ever expect top 6 like production from that line but at the end of the year if they can contribute 30-40 5v5 goals between the 3 of them I will be tickled pink.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->