GDT: Game 25: Denver Avalanche vs. Shining Stars | Sunday, December 3rd, 6pm MT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
He's not a terrible captain, and he is suppose to be the key part of this team becoming a winning team someday. What he did was stupid,specially wearing the C. If the Avs were a winning team, a powerhouse or whatever, i'd still say it was a dumb play by him, but it wouldn't look as bad because the team was an established team.

The Avs suppose to be getting better and better, and they can't have players, specially the captain do stuff like that, because this 4 games that he's suspended, he's not helping the team improve, it's hurting the team. I didn't say he was a terrible captain, just not a very good one, and IMO, he should not be the captain of this team, i said this all along not just for the recent suspension. I'd give the C to MacKinnon, as he's starting to become the player we all hoped for, and he can actually lead by example.

I don't think you give the C to a player for on-ice performance, at all. The important leadership bit actually happens off ice - in balancing a locker-room of 23 different personalities, for example (IMO). MacKinnon's evolving as a player, but I don't think he's mature enough yet to be captain. Not a chance I give him the captaincy right now, in fact. His major focus should be his on-ice product.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
If anything, we are seeing how pivotal Landy is to this team. If he struggles or is out, the team is much worse off. The two years where he dealt with injuries the most... the Avs pick top 5. When he gets suspended, the team loses. What Landy did wasn't bright (though the suspension was far too stiff), but he is critical to this team and that is quite easy to see.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I don't think you give the C to a player for on-ice performance, at all. The important leadership bit actually happens off ice - in balancing a locker-room of 23 different personalities, for example (IMO). MacKinnon's evolving as a player, but I don't think he's mature enough yet to be captain. Not a chance I give him the captaincy right now, in fact. His major focus should be his on-ice product.
Based on last year's performance, i'd say Landeskog did not do such a good job at balancing a locker room because the team was dismantled, no one played for one another and there were tons of locker room issues.

A captain actually does lead by example on and off the ice like Sakic did and other great captains in the game. So far in Landeskog's tenure as the captain of this team, there have been so many locker room issues and finger pointing. Giguere saying he was ashamed or something being part of the team because players were more worried about Vegas trip than playing hockey, MacKinnon yelling at teammates and stuff last year.

Your post actually kind of proves my point about Landeskog not being a good captain.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Based on last year's performance, i'd say Landeskog did not do such a good job at balancing a locker room because the team was dismantled, no one played for one another and there were tons of locker room issues.

A captain actually does lead by example on and off the ice like Sakic did and other great captains in the game. So far in Landeskog's tenure as the captain of this team, there have been so many locker room issues and finger pointing. Giguere saying he was ashamed or something being part of the team because players were more worried about Vegas trip than playing hockey, MacKinnon yelling at teammates and stuff last year.

Your post actually kind of proves my point about Landeskog not being a good captain.
I don't think people understand how hard it is to take control of a locker room when you have a bunch of old men in there who are stubborn and want to do things their way. I know Landeskog had the C on his chest, but it's quite evident that the old losers were of the opinion that they were the leaders. It was probably a title that was falsely put on them by Roy. It explains the reason for the locker room split. You have a bunch of young players trying to learn and listen to their captain who is growing with the team in Landeskog. But then on the other side of the room you have the Micky Mouse clubhouse lead by Beauchemin and Iginla. those guys gained a lot of respect over their careers (deservingly so) but were too stubborn to know when it's time to let other people do the talking.

It was an awkward position for a guy like Landeskog to be in but the fact is that this is his team now and he has a group of men rallying behind him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->