GDT: [Game #25] Dallas Stars vs. Minnesota Wild - 2:00 PM CT (BSSWX)

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I also assume after playing only 8 minutes this game Hanley is not playing next game.

Last edited:
Reactions: Elysian

Ratbath

Jul 3, 2019
I don't get it, this team is so much better offensively this season and yet so very much worse in OT - makes no damn sense.
Because several of our best players are not amazing skaters. having elite hockey IQ doesn’t mean much in 3v3.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Because several of our best players are not amazing skaters. having elite hockey IQ doesn’t mean much in 3v3.

It worked last year and its not like we lost some amazing skaters. I guess Klingberg was a great OT defenseman but other than that ? Everybody good from last year is still here

Coaching staff needs to figure out better lines in OT.

roryjones

Oct 17, 2022
This team needs another puck moving defenseman. In OT all they have is Miro. Lindell is not useful and suter is way too slow. Last year they had klingberg that could help be a playmaker. I think they need D more than winger. Clearly scoring is not the issue.

Is there any RHD out there not named klingberg that is available who is a good puck mover?

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
This team needs another puck moving defenseman. In OT all they have is Miro. Lindell is not useful and suter is way too slow. Last year they had klingberg that could help be a playmaker. I think they need D more than winger. Clearly scoring is not the issue.

Is there any RHD out there not named klingberg that is available who is a good puck mover?

Lundkqist will get there

serp

Jan 17, 2016

They need to use Lundkvist there and i think Miller could also be ok ish in OT

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast
Canes fan here who visited AA center for a game for the first time. Hell of a game, and we didn't leave - saw the whole thing. Nice come back.

Some notes, as seen from 321 row A.

Wedgewood afraid of the SO? He didn't even move or try on the shooters? What gives? Is he that passive? Ottinger seemed off.

You guys could stand for an upgrade on D some how. Maybe Slavin / Pesce / Skjei / Burns have me spoiled, or that we are a defense first / Brindamour coached team but damn you guys give a lot of space above the FO circles to the half walls . And on the PK. Also your puck movement by D men seems to need a boost.

It's good to know that other top teams have some of the same seeming struggles that we do. I guess expectations are high and mistakes are more apparent when you are a club expected to win.

Robertson and your line with Hintz is fire. That kid's positioning is good. I wish we had scoring like that. We do OK, but 5 or 6 goals is not a canes thing. We play tight. (LA fri night not withstanding, LOL)

No quit in your team. It was fun cheering for you , and I'll be cheering for Dallasas my WC team this season and probably beyond.

Fun arena. Much quieter than the PNC, but I think it's bigger. I think canes fans are just insane. Props to the headbanging dude to pantera in my section.

Took the advice of riding the train. Thanks for that. I think somone previously took a piss in the car we rode in leaving though lol. No place to tailgate at a stars game. I think we take that for granted in Raleigh at the PNC.

Thanks for having us. If you saw me, I was probably the only dude in a canes sweater Yesterday. We will be sure to always hit the arena when we are in town, once every year or two. I'll be pulling for you guys in the west this year

jballa95

Aug 18, 2013
Canes fan here who visited AA center for a game for the first time. Hell of a game, and we didn't leave - saw the whole thing. Nice come back.

Wedgewood afraid of the SO? He didn't even move or try on the shooters? What gives? Is he that passive? Ottinger seemed off.

You guys could stand for an upgrade on D some how. Maybe Slavin / Pesce / Skjei / Burns have me spoiled, or that we are a defense first / Brindamour coached team but damn you guys give a lot of space above the FO circles to the half walls . And on the PK. Also your puck movement by D men seems to need a boost.

It's good to know that other top teams have some of the same seeming struggles that we do. I guess expectations are high and mistakes are more apparent when you are a club expected to win.

Robertson and your line with Hintz is fire. That kid's positioning is good. I wish we had scoring like that. We do OK, but 5 or 6 goals is not a canes thing. We play tight. (LA fri night not withstanding, LOL)

No quit in your team. It was fun cheering for you , and I'll be cheering for Dallasas my WC team this season and probably beyond.

Fun arena. Much quieter than the PNC, but I think it's bigger. I think canes fans are just insane. Props to the headbanging dude to pantera in my section.

Took the advice of riding the train. Thanks for that. I think somone previously took a piss in the car we rode in leaving though lol. No place to tailgate at a stars game. I think we take that for granted in Raleigh at the PNC.

Thanks for having us. If you saw me, I was probably the only dude in a canes sweater Yesterday. We will be sure to always hit the arena when we are in town, once every year or two. I'll be pulling for you guys in the west this year
The 2nd best puck moving d-man for the Stars was sitting in the press box eating popcorn.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010

I think Minnesota had a great scouting report on Wedgewood. Every attempt they had was a quick wrister with no wind up, they were all too similar for it to not be intentional. Wedgewood also just isn't that great of a goalie, there's a reason we were able to sign him for so cheap this offseason. He's a fine/average back-up which is all we really need him to be.

We do have an upgrade on D (Lundkvist), but for some publicly unknown reason he has been a healthy scratch the last couple of games. We mostly want/need to get rid of Suter. Unfortunately we have quite a logjam at D that doesn't look like it will clear anytime soon.

I think the quiet arena might also be due to the afternoon game. It's usually pretty loud when I go, but afternoon games everywhere seem to be more sparsely attended and have less interest. Stars don't do any tailgating because they are so deep in the city, but there's a ton of similar-ish stuff in the Plaza outside that a lot of people use in place of tailgating.

Glad you had a good trip!

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast
I think Minnesota had a great scouting report on Wedgewood. Every attempt they had was a quick wrister with no wind up, they were all too similar for it to not be intentional. Wedgewood also just isn't that great of a goalie, there's a reason we were able to sign him for so cheap this offseason. He's a fine/average back-up which is all we really need him to be.

We do have an upgrade on D (Lundkvist), but for some publicly unknown reason he has been a healthy scratch the last couple of games. We mostly want/need to get rid of Suter. Unfortunately we have quite a logjam at D that doesn't look like it will clear anytime soon.

I think the quiet arena might also be due to the afternoon game. It's usually pretty loud when I go, but afternoon games everywhere seem to be more sparsely attended and have less interest. Stars don't do any tailgating because they are so deep in the city, but there's a ton of similar-ish stuff in the Plaza outside that a lot of people use in place of tailgating.

Glad you had a good trip!
We saw the little fountain area. My comment was it needed to be ice. Overall a great experience.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX

Glad you enjoyed it. AAC is definitely quieter than the old Reunion Arena. It's too big really, and I think the acoustics must have been planned for the concerts that also go there. The only Stars game where I saw tailgating was the winter classic a few years ago. I think they discourage it, with much parking being covered, but also, as a nod to the nearby restaurants.

Someone made a good point about Wegie. They had him scouted well, I guess, but that is fixable. Otter wasn't great in the shootout last year and he has worked on it.

As to D, we as fans are done with a D minded coach (see Bowness and Hitchcock the last few years, with Mongomery being somewhere more O minded, but not a lot, although Boston is doing quite well. It's a shame we let him go for personal conduct. We have a lot of players who do better with a change of scenery, now we have a few coaches, too.

Overall, we can't really complain, not that it stops us!

roryjones

Oct 17, 2022
I thought Harley was supposed to get a shot under Deboer. I know he did not grab the chance out of training camp but this team really does need more puck moving defenseman. Why not give the kid a chance. Sit Suter for once.

Kipper 17

Aug 11, 2006
Calgary, AB
I thought Harley was supposed to get a shot under Deboer. I know he did not grab the chance out of training camp but this team really does need more puck moving defenseman. Why not give the kid a chance. Sit Suter for once.
Sitting Suter doesn’t seem to be an option for deboer, unfortunately.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010

Harley's not ready. We'll see how much his defensive game has improved from focusing on it in the AHL. Sooner or later there will be a couple of simultaneous D injuries and he'll get a chance then. If not, then we can be happy that our defense stays remarkably healthy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad