GDT: Game 25 Columbus vs Carolina 11/28 7:00 PM

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
As I said, I would do Jones for Johanson 100 out of 100 times. At the time of his holdout, you were a huge Joey fan. I wanted to see him traded. We disagree as to how critical Joey was in the Preds climbing into the finals last year. And certainly, Joey has not wowed anybody with his start to this year. You have your opinion, I have mine. I have no problem with our disagreement.

As to Andy, if he becomes s "solid 25+ goal guy", I agree we will have to pay the price.

Reactions: Monk

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
His nickel and diming isn't going to cut it with Zerenski. Jarmo had best be willing to get rid of his 'screw the RFA' attitude with him. If guys like Calvert and Jenner have to go, then so be it. They're eminently replaceable.

I'm a big fan of Josh, but comparing his situation to Werenski's upcoming one is ridiculous. Josh had one NHL year in the books. Z will have 3 when his ELC comes up, and it will include a nomination for a Calder. Bridging Josh, but signing Z long-term makes total sense to me.

Boone had a much more impressive resume compared to Josh (hence, why his bridge was higher) at contract time. I love Boone but I'm glad they didn't sign him long-term to big bucks then, hoping he'd continue to be a 30-goal scorer. The bridge contracts allow the front office to have a better idea where every player's ceiling is, in addition to keeping the players hungry for their third contract.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I'm a big fan of Josh, but comparing his situation to Werenski's upcoming one is ridiculous. Josh had one NHL year in the books. Z will have 3 when his ELC comes up, and it will include a nomination for a Calder. Bridging Josh, but signing Z long-term makes total sense to me.

Boone had a much more impressive resume compared to Josh (hence, why his bridge was higher) at contract time. I love Boone but I'm glad they didn't sign him long-term to big bucks then, hoping he'd continue to be a 30-goal scorer. The bridge contracts allow the front office to have a better idea where every player's ceiling is, in addition to keeping the players hungry for their third contract.
Exactly. There's a big difference in signing a player long term when they've looked like a game changer since their first professional season compared to a player that took a couple seasons after his draft to really solidify a spot on the roster.

Not to say that Josh won't be a game changer, there's just less history to suggest that he will. This FO aren't going to be the ones setting any precedents for players to use later in contract negotiations.

Yes it might come back to hurt them later, but having too many good players to sign is a good thing. It's not like they're going to lose players for nothing, trades will be made and they'll cross those roads when they get there. For now we're the youngest team in the league, there's still another full season before we really have to worry about the cap.

Reactions: Jackets Fan

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I think the comparisons between Anderson and Nash are kind of funny.

Anderson is another Jenner. He's going to have a really good year, but at the end of the day he'll wind up being a 2nd/3rd line winger.

Reactions: thebus88

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
I think the comparisons between Anderson and Nash are kind of funny.

Anderson is another Jenner. He's going to have a really good year, but at the end of the day he'll wind up being a 2nd/3rd line winger.
That they work hard and can grind it out is comparable. But Anderson is faster, a better skater, has better hands and a better shot. His game translates better than Jenner's to the current NHL trending. I'll take him any day over Jenner (who I feel is a useful $2.9M player).

Agree the Nash-Andy comp doesn't hold water unless 77's game jumped to a different level.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Anderson is another Jenner in that he is a winger who I expect will post 25-30 goals and then revert to a role of being a 2nd or 3rd liner in subsequent seasons.

In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if the team forces him down into that role. That's their projection of him. That's how they want to use him as soon as they can afford to move him off the 1st line. That's also how they plan to pay him. The fact that he leads the team in goals and only sniffs the 2nd PP unit demonstrates, I think, the reluctance by the team to adapt its view of him.

Only way I see that changing is if the team views PLD as an actual #1 center and PLD continues to have chemistry with Anderson. Then maybe he gets pulled up.

Last edited:

We Want Ten

Make Chinakov Great Again
Apr 5, 2013
Columbus
Anderson is another Jenner in that he is a winger who I expect will post 25-30 goals and then revert to a role of being a 2nd or 3rd liner in subsequent seasons.

In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if the team forces him down into that role. That's their projection of him. That's how they want to use him as soon as they can afford to move him off the 1st line. That's also how they plan to pay him. The fact that he leads the team in goals and only sniffs the 2nd PP unit demonstrates, I think, the reluctance by the team to adapt its view of him.

Only way I see that changing is if the team views PLD as an actual #1 center and PLD continues to have chemistry with Anderson. Then maybe he gets pulled up.
I disagree strongly with most of this.

Reactions: JohnnyJacket13

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008

Anderson has no power play points in his career. The fact that he hasn't been used on the PP with all its struggles doesn't speak well of the coaching staff.

Anderson has more shots than any other CBJ forward despite no PP time and having the 7th most ice time on the team among forwards. He has 9 goals but is shooting a very sustainable 12.7%.

He's 33rd in the league in shots on goal among forwards. He has one less shots on goal than Austin Matthews.

Projecting him as a "2nd or 3rd line" forward with his shot generating ability, skating, and size makes no sense. He's a much more polished hockey player than Jenner. He's just a late bloomer and low draft pick so he's not rated as highly as he should be.

There's no reason to believe that this kid can't be a consistent 25-30 goal scorer for the next 5-7 years.

Last edited:

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Anderson has no power play points in his career. The fact that he hasn't been used on the PP with all its struggles doesn't speak well of the coaching staff.

Anderson has more shots than any other CBJ forward despite no PP time and having the 7th most ice time on the team among forwards. He has 9 goals but is shooting a very sustainable 12.7%.

He's 33rd in the league in shots on goal among forwards. He has one less shots on goal than Austin Matthews.

Projecting him as a "2nd or 3rd line" forward with his shot generating ability, skating, and size makes no sense. He's a much more polished hockey player than Jenner. He's just a late bloomer and low draft pick so he's not rated as highly as he should be.

There's no reason to believe that this kid can't be a consistent 25-30 goal scorer for the next 5-7 years.
The reason to not believe that is based on what he's been projected as becoming from his post-draft year up until the beginning of this season.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
The reason to not believe that is based on what he's been projected as becoming from his post-draft year up until the beginning of this season.

I don't have any idea about what he was internally projected to be by the CBJ. It really doesn't matter at this point. Cam Atkinson was the 157th player taken in his draft year. Player development is a very iffy proposition in most cases. At some point, performance trumps projection. That time has come for Josh Anderson.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I don't have any idea about what he was internally projected to be by the CBJ. It really doesn't matter at this point. Cam Atkinson was the 157th player taken in his draft year. Player development is a very iffy proposition in most cases. At some point, performance trumps projection. That time has come for Josh Anderson.
I think it's a bit soon for Josh Anderson. And even if you're right (Anderson and PLD are amongst the top when it comes to possession metrics and shot generation after all), I don't think the team will come around very quickly if at all.

For instance, after the Carolina game, Tortorella briefly spoke about Anderson and PLD but mainly focused on how we need "our best players to be our best players," by which I think he meant Panarin, Wennberg, Foligno, and Atkinson. That's why I think when those guys get going (and they will eventually) then the TOI of Anderson and PLD will go down.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cyclones Rock

We Want Ten

Make Chinakov Great Again
Apr 5, 2013
Columbus
That's fair, it seems like Anderson has become a fan favorite.

That doesn't change the fact that the Jackets front office and coaches are notoriously stubborn in their assessments of players.
That's not it at all for me, I just think you are miss categorising some things. I personally think the team and coaches want him to be the best player he can be and will play him where it best benefits the club.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I think it's a bit soon for Josh Anderson. And even if you're right (Anderson and PLD are amongst the top when it comes to possession metrics and shot generation after all), I don't think the team will come around very quickly if at all.

For instance, after the Carolina game, Tortorella briefly spoke about Anderson and PLD but mainly focused on how we need "our best players to be our best players," by which I think he meant Panarin, Wennberg, Foligno, and Atkinson. That's why I think when those guys get going (and they will eventually) then the TOI of Anderson and PLD will go down.

No doubt the coaching staff needs Wennberg and Foligno to step it up and they'll get rewarded if they do-although I believe both have been getting a ton of ice time anyway.

I just see a very capable hockey player in Anderson and he's entering his prime scoring years. Most players peak in their scoring at a very early age. For giggles I looked up a bunch. I have read that NHL players peak scoring for forwards is generally from 23-25.

Age 21: Glenn Anderson
Age 23: Mario Lemieux, Mike Modano, Mark Messier
Age 24: Jagr, Paul Coffey
Age 25: Gretzky, Dubinsky (only time these two will ever be grouped together. LOL)
Age 26: Brett Hull
Age 27: Nick Foligno
Age 28: Cam Atkinson-I just added him on an edit.
******I included every player that I looked up. No edits********

Anderson will be 24 by season's end. He's been scoring at a great rate and by historical standards he's in the prime of a forward's scoring. He should be used accordingly.

Reactions: Crede777

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Anderson will be 24 by season's end. He's been scoring at a great rate and by historical standards he's in the prime of a forward's scoring. He should be used accordingly.

Your opinions of Anderson and his age are interesting in relation to your opinions of Murray and his age. Still think he's out the league by 2020? How exactly should Anderson be used differently than he has been? Just PP time? Or is the excuse "he wasn't used properly" simply gonna be your go to when he fails to break 20 goals?

I will say though, If we overpaid Anderson like you seem to want, it would probably be much easier to pass on to people the idea that Dubinsky is massively overpaid.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Your opinions of Anderson and his age are interesting in relation to your opinions of Murray and his age. Still think he's out the league by 2020? How exactly should Anderson be used differently than he has been? Just PP time? Or is the excuse "he wasn't used properly" simply gonna be your go to when he fails to break 20 goals?

I will say though, If we overpaid Anderson like you seem to want, it would probably be much easier to pass on to people the idea that Dubinsky is massively overpaid.

The company man vomits again. Jarmo was stupidly shortsighted on Anderson. It should be obvious that 'the prove it' nonsense was wrong again. I can see you're rooting for him to fail. Gotta justify every front office move no matter what.

Yes, Anderson should be used on the PP. Could he hurt it? LOL

Murray's a passable bottom pairing dman. This year. So far. Yippee. Comparing his experience to Anderson's is ridiculous. Anderson is in full season 2 and Murray is in #5. He'll never be more than a bottom pairing guy. Weak offensively, middling skater and no grit. If he plays in the league for 5 more years it will likely be with 3 or more different teams. FWIW, Murray seems like a nice enough kid in interviews. I haven't anything against him personally. I just don't think he's much of a hockey player. Especially for a #2OA.

If you think Dubinsky is worth $5.8 million per year, then I really don't know what to say. He's on pace for 7 goals and 30 points. His point production has been declining for years. Open your eyes, his contract is borderline disasterous and it's not going to get any prettier.

Last edited:

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
The company man vomits again.
Aren't we fans of the team first and foremost?

Cyclones Rock said:
Jarmo was stupidly shortsighted on Anderson. It should be obvious that 'the prove it' nonsense was wrong again. I can see you're rooting for him to fail. Gotta justify every front office move no matter what.
It remains to be seen whether Jarmo was shortsighted on Anderson. You are right that Jarmo's stance was "we hold all the cards, now you have to prove it." When Anderson's deal expires, he will still be an RFA (I believe this contract takes him to the edge of free agency). What if Jarmo approaches him with the stance of "good work, we still hold the cards, prove it again."

The point I've been making is given how stubborn the team is in its talent assessments and how they attempt to leverage negotiating power, "prove it again" could absolutely be their stance in 3 years.

Hopefully they don't squander talent and hopefully Anderson becomes better than anyone predicts. But I feel like we have seen this before.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->