GDT: Game 25 Columbus vs Carolina 11/28 7:00 PM

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
I still think something isn't right with Panarin. It looks like he's pressing, trying to do too much.
"Offence first" guy on the "defense first" team. Those remarks lately from opposition teams that we played, "conservative style with no open space", "hit and grit", "dump and chase", "awful offense compensated by a great goalie" or quoting Mike Smith "typical Tortorella hockey." It's tough for him, either someone adapts or break up.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Artemi is a pro. He'll figure it out. He's not producing as much as we'd like, and yeah there are some turnovers, but I like his game. He definitely fits.
He actually only 5 points behind his pace from last year in Chicago. I still think he should be with Wennberg and Bjork.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
He actually only 5 points behind his pace from last year in Chicago. I still think he should be with Wennberg and Bjork.

I'd like to see Foligno as the third on that line. But I think I said that right after the Panarin trade and it hasn't really happened, so I'm probably wrong.

Actually I'm sure I'm wrong because you need Andy, Bjork and Cam all on the right side so there's not really a spot for Nick there.

Reactions: MoeBartoli
Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
I'd like to see Foligno as the third on that line. But I think I said that right after the Panarin trade and it hasn't really happened, so I'm probably wrong.

Actually I'm sure I'm wrong because you need Andy, Bjork and Cam all on the right side so there's not really a spot for Nick there.

I think he needs to play on a line with someone who's style is more like his. Andy is too North/South. Maybe Bjork or try another time with Cam?

I just hope he relaxes and begins to play a bit more naturally.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I think he needs to play on a line with someone who's style is more like his. Andy is too North/South. Maybe Bjork or try another time with Cam?

I just hope he relaxes and begins to play a bit more naturally.

Yeah - Maylo said Bjork. I still think Foligno is a good stylistic match, but that likely moves Bjork to Sedlak's line, which I don't like. Meh. I still think, no matter who he plays with, Panarin is a good fit. He's helped win more games than his struggles have cost.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Based upon this morning's Dispatch, it sounds like Torts really chewed out Wennie and, based upon last nite's game, Wennie gave a strong positive response with his play.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
What on earth is up with Foligno? Amazing start to the year, I was telling everyone who would listen that he could go almost ppg this year, especially with so much skill on the wings.

Now he's trending more towards 35p...sad times.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
I don’t mind that we aren’t scoring. I’ve been thinking about it and everything with Torts is a process. We are getting our players to play solid D (which is necessary in the playoffs) and we are finding ways to win close games while not hitting our offensive potential. I think that if we do make the playoffs, these games will help us when we can’t seem to find the back of the net. With tim players will figure out how to play solid D while still getting scoring chances. Slowly the offense will come I can feel it.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I don’t mind that we aren’t scoring. I’ve been thinking about it and everything with Torts is a process. We are getting our players to play solid D (which is necessary in the playoffs) and we are finding ways to win close games while not hitting our offensive potential. I think that if we do make the playoffs, these games will help us when we can’t seem to find the back of the net. With tim players will figure out how to play solid D while still getting scoring chances. Slowly the offense will come I can feel it.

This is, IMO anyway, a solid take. Good point about Tortorella and "process." I think the recent stuff with Wennberg is part of it. It's a process with the collective but part of that is each individual player's process.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Snip snap, snip snap.
Do you know the effects of having 2 name changes has on a man?

Also, It won't let me change it again for like a year. I think this is like my third name in a year.
I'm like the Mouse Rat of posters.

"You can change your username again in 312 days."
Those name chnages are handy when you're in witness protection. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Josh Anderson is our best forward. He looks like a 30 goal scorer. I love when I am right. (it happens occasionally)

The kid is good. That was obvious last season. It's a shame the GM is so stuck in the "I'm not going to give anything to RFAs" mode.

Nashiville's Poile would have signed this kid to a 5 or 6 year $3-3.75 million deal. It would have been a steal for the CBJ. But Jarmo got to show the kid and his agent who's boss. LOL

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Jarmo did the right thing. He got him signed while still preserving cap room for all the other guys he has to get signed in order to keep the core together. Anderson may be veyrygood. But he had only one year in the league before he threw his tantrum.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Jarmo did the right thing. He got him signed while still preserving cap room for all the other guys he has to get signed in order to keep the core together. Anderson may be veyrygood. But he had only one year in the league before he threw his tantrum.
So trying to get the best contract one can and using some leverage (holding out) is "throwing a tanrum"?

That's absurd.

Poile identifies young talent and locks them up long term at bargain prices. Josi, Arviddsson, Ekholm, and Ellis. He's got a core which went to the Cup Finals and could easily do so again. Having the vision to lock up young players long term is what great GMs have. Pinching short term pennies and yapping about the need for players to "prove themselves" who have already shown that they can play in the NHL is quite the opposite.

His nickel and diming isn't going to cut it with Zerenski. Jarmo had best be willing to get rid of his 'screw the RFA' attitude with him. If guys like Calvert and Jenner have to go, then so be it. They're eminently replaceable.

Reactions: CBJWennberg10

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Making guys earn their contracts is a smart thing, it's telling the players that if you play up to par than you'll get paid. But one year isn't enough sample size. Everyone has had to go through with it, Anderson isn't special.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Sorry CR, I completely disagree with you on this one. But I guess we need to remember, you were a big Joey defender. And I could not stand him. And we won that trade hands down. Now I agree that Anderson shows more promise that Joey ever did. But it was still just one year and Anderson was simply unwise to try to turn one year into a long term deal. If he maintains his productivity that he has shown this year. He will be rewarded.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Sorry CR, I completely disagree with you on this one. But I guess we need to remember, you were a big Joey defender. And I could not stand him. And we won that trade hands down. Now I agree that Anderson shows more promise that Joey ever did. But it was still just one year and Anderson was simply unwise to try to turn one year into a long term deal. If he maintains his productivity that he has shown this year. He will be rewarded.

Won the trade "hands down", eh? Nashville went to the finals in good measure because of Johansen. Had he not been injured in the semis, they could very well have won the whole thing.

The notion that Anderson shows more promise than Johansen ever did is something I doubt that any of the 31 NHL GMs would agree with.

Look at Nashville's decision making on their players coming off ELCs. It's a very sound model. What it has allowed them to do is secure young talent on cheap long term contracts which allowed them to aquire and Subban and sign Johansen to a long term deal. They were also able to acquire Turris and Bonino which makes them incredibly solid at center.

There is risk to signing a younger player, but anyone who thought that Johansen or Anderson weren't the real deal at the end of the third year of their ELCs simply doesn't know hockey. . They were both "no brainers" for signing to long term deals. The Columbus front office is apparently more concerned with appearing "strong" in negotiating deals with RFAs than making sound long term business decisions.

Reactions: CBJWennberg10

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Conceptually I agree with CR. In Anderson's case a longer term for around 3.5 or so would seemed to have made sense. With upcoming contracts for Bob, Werenski, Murray and at the time Cam I'm guessing there was a bit of wanting to keep $ down. If Andy becomes a solid 25+ goal guy we'll have to pay the price.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad