GDT: Game 24: Columbus at Montreal | 11/27 7:30PM

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Why don't they just take interference penalties out of the game. The only time interference is called is against the goalie. They dump the puck and the defenseman impedes the skater every time. Sometimes it's a little hold, sometimes it a slight bump, sometimes it's an all out grab. It's not just this game, it happens in every game I watch. And it's not just against us, we do it too. Once the puck is put deep the defenseman should not be allowed to impede the skaters progress to the puck. That is called interference.

I agree. It is bs the way they don't call this penalty.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus

That's a solution yeah, "if we don't talk about it, it doesn't exist."

Or, he knows they're working on it, frustrated it's not getting better and isn't about the keep blabbing on about it in the media. You want him to diagram some plays for the press? This could be Torts saying I don't owe you guys anything.

Reactions: thebus88

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Establish an identity and keep it throughout the whole team. Are we a skill team? which I think this is what they want, then ditch players like Jenner and Dubinsky, they don't fit. If you want to go back to the 2013-14 jackets of grit and size then trade Panarin. He won't fit on a team like that. I'd say trade bjorkstrand too but he's willing to go to the corners so maybe he could stay.

That's not how teams, in particular good ones, are built, where every player is cut from the same cloth.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
He had a full year to resolve this, he tried different kind of players, he had that one trick that everyone in the league figured out by the end of the year, and that's it. They are slow, there are no cross passes, they're are not moving enough, there is no threat, or smart quick redirect passes, "d shoot the puck from the blue line and let's hope for rebound". I had enough of him. No one in the league has single digits %, are we really that untalented?

Yes fire his ass. Bring back Claude "Two Goal" Noel!

Everyone march down to Nationwide, walk in and say "Bring back Claude "Two Goal" Noel"

If one person, just one person does it they may think he's really sick.
and if two people do it, in harmony they may think they are both ********.
and if three people do it, can you imagine three people walking in singing
"Bring back Claude "Two Goal" Noel" and walking out they may think it's an organization!
Fifty people a day walking in singing Bring back Claude "Two Goal" Noel and
walking out. And friends they may think it's a movement!!

And that's what it is , the Bring Back Claude Noel Movement.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus

Everyone march down to Nationwide, walk in and say "Bring back Claude "Two Goal" Noel"

If one person, just one person does it they may think he's really sick.
and if two people do it, in harmony they may think they are both ********.
and if three people do it, can you imagine three people walking in singing
"Bring back Claude "Two Goal" Noel" and walking out they may think it's an organization!
Fifty people a day walking in singing Bring back Claude "Two Goal" Noel and
walking out. And friends they may think it's a movement!!

And that's what it is , the Bring Back Claude Noel Movement.

Just in time for Christmas!

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017

Sorry i haven't followed the team during those hard times. :)

But why is he so valuable though? He doesn't have a impressive resume or something. Former AHL head coach for one team? Wow! Dude caught some luck flow with that "unsustainable PP" for short period of time and now he's a pro in it.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Powerplay relies entirely too much on trying to get point shots thru. Slow deliberate passing, and very little movement. How do coaches at the nhl level not see what is pretty obvious ? Yes Zach is a good shooter, but that is focal point of the powerplay. I think the biggest issue is lack of movement. If your not going to move, and just pass the puck around, its easy for teams to pack it in. There needs to be more of an emphasis on beating the defender, skating into higher risk areas where you can get the shot off, making the defense move to cut it off. Then make the pass.

Reactions: JohnnyJacket13

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Powerplay relies entirely too much on trying to get point shots thru. Slow deliberate passing, and very little movement. How do coaches at the nhl level not see what is pretty obvious ? Yes Zach is a good shooter, but that is focal point of the powerplay. I think the biggest issue is lack of movement. If your not going to move, and just pass the puck around, its easy for teams to pack it in. There needs to be more of an emphasis on beating the defender, skating into higher risk areas where you can get the shot off, making the defense move to cut it off. Then make the pass.
Yea, it does seem excessively deliberate and at times passive. I'm probably crazy to think this, but I'd actually prefer we chose the set - 1/3/1, 2/3, whatever - just to establish some responsibilities - and from there just turn the skill guys loose. They'll feel more free and instinctive which I believe will produce a better result. Aside from possibly being more vulnerable to a short-handed goal, I would foresee something better than the 6% or whatever success rate we are now posting. And it would certainly be more exciting.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Establish an identity and keep it throughout the whole team. Are we a skill team? which I think this is what they want, then ditch players like Jenner and Dubinsky, they don't fit. If you want to go back to the 2013-14 jackets of grit and size then trade Panarin. He won't fit on a team like that. I'd say trade bjorkstrand too but he's willing to go to the corners so maybe he could stay.

Acquire a top 6 center. There currently isn't one on the roster and our best center might be a 19 year old. That's both a testiment to PLD's play, and an insult to the rest of the team.

Then of course the powerplay.

It's not far away, like I have said there is some good things here especially on D. But thinking a team this young and flawed can overcome the huge issues at center, on the scoreboard, with the identity, and on the special teams would just be negligent of facts. I understand being a fan and looking at it through CBJ goggles but a spade is a spade.

If bob wasn't playing at a Vezina pace, this team would be around where Carolina is.

Wow.

Establish an "identity"? Could you please list all possible types of "identity" an NHL team can establish? How about you pick any other team of your liking, and explain to me what their identity is. Remember, according to you (it seems) EVERY PLAYER must "fit". Your actual solutions are, "ditch players like Jenner and Dubinsky", if we go in 1 'direction'. "Trade Panarin" and "I'd say trade Bjorkstrand too" are the answers if we go into the other 'direction'. Along with the ridiculous simplicity of, "but he's willing to go to the corners so maybe he could stay".

Your ideas of "fit" or "chemistry" or "identity" are completely wrong "IMO". Whether we're talking bantam AA, major junior, NCAA, AHL or NHL, there is so many different types of players and different ways that they play. Many very different players will mesh very well. While at the same time, many very similar players will not mesh well at all. "Fit" does not work like NES's 'Ice Hockey" nor does "chemistry" work like EAsports: Sniper-Playmaker-2 Way Forward=success.

You'll say it's just a name, but man, have you people really backtracked on Wennberg or what? Would you guys have dealt him for Barkov straight up last year? Serious question. You say the team has zero top 6 centers and that PLD might be our best. Don't get me wrong, I think he very well could be as early as next year, but he's just being used currently in a very favorable situation for him with literally 1 of the most creative, offensive minded forwards in the league. You might know him as "trade bait". I don't wanna look back at what you had to say about PLD 2+ weeks ago, but most of what was being said was not very positive. Most of his "on-ice change" can simply be attributed to usage and/or opportunity, because of the Wennberg injury.

MAYBE ITS ABOUT TIME BRANDON DUBINSKY GOT SOME CREDIT. Look at his numbers during the small win streak. Real numbers. He's been our TOP center, this year and last year. I know people love points but currently the Jenner-Dubi-Atkinson line goes over the boards when the opposing teams toughest matchups go on the ice. This can be said for most of the lines Dubi is centering, most of the time. Some of you still claim the team is not that good because of your opinions on most of the players and subsequently the team. Problem is, because of how the team played and finished last year (and got better) and where the team is currently in the standings this year, its pretty easy to say your just wrong. There's no way the team would be this good without "2nd line" quality centers. The idea in the past (and currently) of Dubi needing to be the "3C" in order for this team to be "good", is wrong, as proven by last year. The same idea that Wennberg is currently or will only amount to being a "3C" is equally as wrong. The same thing can be said for what MOST of you had to say about Dubois ever since he was drafted up until very recently. The thing is, especially with Dubinsky and Wennberg, is that THEY PLAY COMPLETELY DIFFERENT GAMES. Currently, we have 1 center who is ABLE to match up defensively with other teams top lines, while at the same time being ABLE to play with other offensive players and not be used only in a "shutdown" role. Not Dubois, not Wennberg, and no it wouldn't be William Karlsson either.

IMO, The defense and team as a whole has just as much of an impact on Bob and "his" numbers, as Bob has on the team and "their" numbers.

Fact is, the CBJ are not "flawed", do not have issues at center, or with the "identity" of the team. As shown by the last 1.25 years they also don't have "issues on the scoreboard" either. Truth is, that Johansen was the true "Queen of Spades" and he was folded 2 hands ago.

This team is good. Like good-good.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus

Current Jackets would have to rid themselves of more than Boone and Dubi or Panarin. Choose between Anderson and Atkinson, Wennberg and Foligno.

And I'll go back further but off the top of my head, the last two Stanley Cup champs had a top 6 that was comprised of Evgeni Malkin, Phil Kessel and Patric Hornqvist.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
The truth is the jackets are the youngest team in the league with the youngest d core in the league.

This team doesn't have a true identity. They're not the same team as last season and they definitely aren't the same team that made the 2013 playoffs. These guys are still establishing their identity and its not gonna be pretty at times.

This is a team that's built from the net out and they rely on the D contributing offensively and when they aren't the offense has to be able to pick up the slack. And when they both are struggling then they both look to Bob for help (our 6 game win streak)

Sometimes you need to take a step back and just breath. Once again this is one of, if not the youngest team in the NHL by a good margin And the D core defintely is the youngest. Yet this team is tied for 3rd in the eastern conference and 7th in the entire league with only a single bona-fide superstar on the team.

That's really f***ing impressive.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad