GDT: Game 22: Columbus vs. Calgary | 11/22 7PM

The Jones Zone

Nov 27, 2013
Raleigh, NC
I don't know if Jarmo ends up making a move to upgrade at center or not, but the way Nutivaara
is playing makes Johnson or Savard easier to move. Nutivaara has been outstanding since he's came back

Reactions: LetsGOJackets!!

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
Dubois only trailed Panarin for TOI on offense and only Jones and Werenski on the entire team.

Kids confidence is growing majorly, game by game. The PLD we saw for the first 10 games of the year or so, was just a fraction of the PLD we’re seeing now. As PLD’s confidence grows, Torts’ trust grows. Positive things happening here in the capital.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Kids confidence is growing majorly, game by game. The PLD we saw for the first 10 games of the year or so, was just a fraction of the PLD we’re seeing now. As PLD’s confidence grows, Torts’ trust grows. Positive things happening here in the capital.

Absolutely right on. PLD needs to be brought along slowly & you know there are going to be some days... but the kid is not out of place. Reading this thread I see complaints of no offense and God knows I thought we would break out and get 4 goals, but that was a great game 40 shots on goal??? Sometimes you have to tip the cap to the other guy, they have a great goalie too. Very entertaining game from my standpoint. Thank you Jackets!!! Happy Thanksgiving!!

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
I don't know if Jarmo ends up making a move to upgrade at center or not, but the way Nutivaara
is playing makes Johnson or Savard easier to move. Nutivaara has been outstanding since he's came back

To make the move we really need to make we will lose all our depth, and lose all our cap space. Can you keep all those Dmen & Forwards happy? Find a way. Gene Hackman's line in Hoosiers is appropriate when he says something like, "That's my team on the floor" Dance with the one that brought ya's

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
How has Dubois been as de-facto #1C so far, anyways? I haven't really been able to catch the last two games in any detail (ended up hospitalized with pneumonia and still recovering, may not be able to watch this one end-to-end either :( )

Very sorry to hear. My sister had that when she was younger, but I know it's never a pleasant experience. I hope you are feeling better.

Reactions: Viqsi

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Few things..

1- Crowd was quiet because there wasn’t a whole lot to cheer for through 3 periods - lol. Lots and lots of missed chances. Tough game for fans, on one side happy with our solid D on another side frustrated we’re not scoring more.

2- Mike Smith plays a great villain against us. Sucked it had to end like that for him.

3- I’m sorry I didn’t want to pay Anderson up front ;)

4- Seeing Jagr in person tonight made me glad we didn’t bite... he’s just so sloooooow now.

PS: coooooold a** walk to the $5 lot post game

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
That was the BEST 0-0 game I have ever watched!!! Back and forth action. A goal tending duel for the ages. Scoring chances galore!!

I really believe last night's Calgary game was the personification of what I have been saying since summer. The 9 - 1st and 2nd year players on the Blue Jackets are just going to take some time to gel. I thought Nutivaara last year was quietly effective. This year, he seems past his injuries and has gained confidence. It seemed like Sonny Milano played well, even of the back check and defensive zone. Like others said, PLD just continues to grow and get better. That guy is going to be scary good. Josh Anderson probably has one of the top 10 value contracts in the NHL. He just continues to produce. Ryan Murray looks totally different this year.

Way to go Jackets!

PS: Welcome back Sedlak. We missed you and you played great in your return.

Last edited:

hardkorejackets

Nov 6, 2013
Coldwater, OH
That was the BEST 0-0 game I have ever watched!!! Back and forth action. A goal tending duel for the ages. Scoring chances galore!!

I really believe last night's Calgary game was the personification of what I have been saying since summer. The 9 - 1st and 2nd year players on the Blue Jackets are just going to take some time to gel. I thought Nutivaara last year was quietly effective. This year, he seems past his injuries and has gained confidence. It seemed like Sonny Milano played well, even of the back check and defensive zone. Like others said, PLD just continues to grow and get better. That guy is going to be scary good. Josh Anderson probably has one of the top 10 value contracts in the NHL. He just continues to produce. Ryan Murray looks totally different this year.

Way to go Jackets!

PS: Welcome back Sedlak. We missed you and you played great in your return.

Agreed on all parts. Nutivaara continues to play very solid. Seems like him and Ryan Murray are playing more minutes than last year. Seem to be in a decent amount of offensive situations. PLD- Good game again. Confidence seems to be growing... Another huge part of his game-He is just so hard to knock off of the puck. He won't lose possession of the puck easily. As for Milano- He played another solid/simple game. Not too many defensive errors/trying to do too much. But, he seems to lose possession of the puck somewhat easily at times for some odd reason.

P.S. I kind of miss Tulip on these boards...

Reactions: LetsGOJackets!!

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Thought the same as the posters above about Jagr. To old to slow, cannot keep up with the play - so why do they keep him on? Extra ticket sales for the name cannot exceed his salary can they - does someone in the organization want to him a swan song - wouldn't that maybe be the Pens that should do that?

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Seems like Smith always saves his best games for the CBJ. I also thought it wasn't a bad game, just hot goalies. Take the 2 points and get ready for the next game.
If he played like that regularly - or even really close to that - I'd have been howling for us to somehow pick him up for the last half decade or so. Puckmoving goaltenders like him have always been favorites of mine, and it saddens me greatly that they're a dying breed. :(

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
If he played like that regularly - or even really close to that - I'd have been howling for us to somehow pick him up for the last half decade or so. Puckmoving goaltenders like him have always been favorites of mine, and it saddens me greatly that they're a dying breed. :(
Yes, and ironic that's the case since the rules protect them more than ever.

Reinhart

Jun 13, 2011
Thought the same as the posters above about Jagr. To old to slow, cannot keep up with the play - so why do they keep him on? Extra ticket sales for the name cannot exceed his salary can they - does someone in the organization want to him a swan song - wouldn't that maybe be the Pens that should do that?

First, great game. When I was watching the game, I just kept thinking: "Columbus is playing playoff-type hockey, and they look good doing it." Flames have been out-chancing their opponents for the most part, but to me, it felt like they were just getting schooled last night. Great job by you guys. Columbus is one of two Eastern teams that I am rooting for this year.

As for Jagr, he has actually been good. Though his speed is slower, he actually looked slower than usual last night. Probably the pace of the game and how aggressive your team was at defending. However, for the most part, he has really solidified that third line. Flames are really great off the rush, but if there is one area where they have trouble in, it is cycling. The Bennett-Jankowski-Jagr line has been dominating along the boards for the last segment of games, and Jagr has been a huge reason why. They didn't seem to be able to do that against you guys tonight (and that line was eventually broken up halfway through the game to try and get something going), so Columbus basically took the wall away from Calgary. And the open ice as well. And just about every other inch of the ice. The only facet of the game that the Flames seemed to dominate last night was face-offs. All in all, Jagr has actually looked pretty good for the Flames, but it is his teaching that makes the signing so useful thus far. He really spends time with the young kids on the team and shows them the finer points of the game, and it seems to be paying off. If Jagr doesn't register a single point the rest of the way, it will still be worth it as long as he continues to take players under his wing.

Columbus played a very structured, very playoff-type of game last night, and it paid off. It took some bad luck on Calgary's side with the puck just rolling off Brodie's stick at the most inopportune moment, but there is no guarantee that the Flames would have scored on Bobrovsky anyway. Just happy that Smith stole a point for the Flames, and hopefully this shows how important it is for the Flames to tighten-up defensively. PLD looked really good. Most people were laughing at the draft as to why he was picked ahead of Puljujarvi, but when a Finnish GM passes on a highly touted Finnish player, you know he must have some inside scoop. PLD looked good. Better than I thought he would. He looks like a player about to break out. Milano I thought really stood out positively for you guys as well. Heck of a good young core there.

Good luck to you guys the rest of the season. Looking forward to the rematch near the end of the season. May both teams be comfortably in the playoffs and looking strong then.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Yes, and ironic that's the case since the rules protect them more than ever.
With the speed of the game right now, it became too risky, blink and it's in your net, Smith had really ugly goals in his resume because he went to play the puck. Another great puck handler-Price, in his last "healthy" game against Wild let in a soft goal because he played the puck and didn't set in time.
But it looks gorgeous when they are doing this and it works, yeah.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad