GDT: Game #2 | St. Louis Blues vs. Dallas Stars | He's Back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
When healthy I kinda wanna see Steen and Bergy on the third line with Sobe or Barbs centering that line.

Barb-Stastny-Tarasenko
Schwartz-Schenn-Jaskin?
Steen-Sobotka-Berglund

Barb and Sobe can be flipped, if Jaskin keeps playing the way he is, he can stay with Schwartz-Schenn and ride that line into a career year.

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
Our bottom six is absolutely terrible. The top line looked okay, but can definitely be improved. The Schwartz-Schenn-Jaskin line has been nothing short of fantastic.

I do think we were outplayed for larger stretches of that game than we should've. I think the big reason for that is the lack of structure in our bottom six. We have guys playing who seem to struggle to make a simple pass. Dallas had a lot of possession and a mixture of solid defending of the slot and Allen playing very well kept us in it.

My solution would be to swap up the lines. Barbashev being the smart and versatile player he is, with some creativity, should be Tarasenko'a center and Sobotka seems to have chemistry with Tarasenko and also provides some versatility.
Sobotka-Barbashev-Tarasenko

Use Stastny to center Thompson. Thompson needs someone who can keep up and make plays. I'd like to see Megan on the left of that line.
Megan-Stastny-Thompson

Drop Sundqvist and Paajarvi to flank Brodziak.
Paajarvi-Brodziak-Sundqvist

When Steen returns, drop Thompson down to the minors, flip Sobotka to 3RW and run Steen-Barbashev-Tarasenko

Send Thorburn to the phantom zone and hope, unlike in Man of Steel, he can't escape.

Those are my thoughts based on the two games that have happened.

Splatter

Sep 13, 2010
St. Louis
I like Sobotka and Stastny together. There's more chemistry between those two than Stastny has with Vladi. I'd rather just keep trying with that top line longer. It hasn't hurt them yet.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
I don't know if I can comment on the game... our new jumbotron shoots fire and is huge!

Seriously we had some stretches we looked great, and times they hemmed us in. Thorburn couldn't even drop the gloves when challenged and can't catch a pass if it were a beach ball being put on his tape! Give me his salary and I'll happily take a couple shifts just skating around disengaged and playing piss poor with the puck.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Brodziak - Upshall both timed PK ice time over 3:00 min. Then Sundqvist - Pääjärvi around 1:50

I would keep Brodziak - Upshall duo, they work well 4th line and are really our most used forwards in PK, check TOI/GP. Maybe Thompson could maybe take Schwartz threatment when he played 4th line spot and sheltered minutes if they want give TT icetime up. I would bring Barbashev up and lead 3rd line c spot. Thorburn shouldn't get icetime.

Reactions: AVictoryDive

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
I don't know if I can comment on the game... our new jumbotron shoots fire and is huge!
Seriously...that thing is HUGE. Since my seats are at one end, I found myself watching that when the play went to the other end. The sound system needs to be dialed down from 11 though.

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
I was at the game and it was good time. The improvements are really nice, especially the new jumbotron.

Couple of thoughts.
- Allen was really solid tonight, made all the saves he had to plus a couple of huge one. The save near the end of the 1st was absolutely incredible.
- Schwartz, Schenn and Jaskin are our #1 line, they we good all night. I wasn't really sure why they swapped Jaskin and Paajarvi in the 3rd.
- The third line was bad, like really bad. Thompson is just not NHL ready, he had a few nice moments but overall he just seems a bit outmatched. Needs more AHL seasoning
- Thorburn did his job getting in Roussel's face after he mixed it up with Vladdy. Sadly that is the only thing he was good for. Guy is a trainwreck with the puck.
- I really want to see Tarasenko get some time with Schwartz and Schenn. I feel like they would just click. Maybe Yeo is keeping the lines as they are to spread out the offence with all the injuries but once Steen is back I would look long and hard at trying this line out.
- Pietrangelo is f***ing beast. He just seems like he is on a completely different level this year. Dude is using cheat codes out there.

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
Seriously...that thing is HUGE. Since my seats are at one end, I found myself watching that when the play went to the other end. The sound system needs to be dialed down from 11 though.

Yeah the new sound system is loud as hell. My ears are still ringing a bit.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
The Schenn line is a dandy. Boy he looks good. We may actually have an answer to our top 6 center need. Even Jaskin is finding ways to contribute which is great.

Just think of how much better we could be though if we replaced Paajarvi (who has done nothing) with Barbashev. There is absolutely zero reason for that guy to be scratched right now. This is the first dumb thing Yeo has done. Put him in. The 3rd line needs a jolt. Barbashev and Steen replacing Thompson and Paajarvi will be a huge help.

Still, very nice to see us score so much in the first 2 games. Very nice start to the season. I love our defense pairings. Edmundson and Petro are a great pair. Eddy really has taken big steps with his game, he's a solid player which is great to see. Heck even Gunnarsson has been pretty solid so far.

Oh yeah and the white numbers actually look fine. They looked bad on shitty preseason streams but when you're seeing them on a normal TV picture, they're not that noticeably different at all.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Leave the top 6 alone...... what kind of kick to the teeth would it be to Sobokta if you took him off the top line to the 3rd line. Both top lines look good. The only issue is the entire 3rd line and Thorburn.

Sobokta Stastny Tarasenko
Schwartz Schenn Jaskin
Steen Barbashev Thompson
Upshall Brodziak Sundqvist

play around with Paajarvi, Thompson, Sundqvist Megan. Thorburn can go to texas if your worried about waivers. Thompson will most likely be going down before Nov.

Reactions: Splatter

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
The funny thing is I bet we could ice an entire 3rd line that isn't even playing that would be better than the one we currently have. Barbashev, Blais and I'd even throw Megan in there. I bet those 3 would undoubtedly out-produce Paajarvi, Sundqvist and Thompson. Blais and Thompson really should be flipped but I guess it won't matter if Steen returns soon.

Basically none of us thought the current 3rd line was a good idea except for Yeo. And we look to be correct so far. Mind-boggling decision by him.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
Jaskin is not a long term answer on that line.

hopefully when we get healthy (minus fabbri) he will be on the 4th line

Steen Stastny Tarasenko
Schwartz Schenn Berglund/Sobotka
Sobotka/Berglund Barbashev Paajarvi
Sundqvist Brodziak Jaskin

LetsGoBooze

Buium or bust
Jan 16, 2012
I'm on board with sending Thompson back to the AHL when Steen returns. This might actually be a blessing, he was able to get his 9 games in, but he was also shown it's a mans game up here and he can return to the AHL, play top line minutes and train his ass off cause now he knows what it will take. Upon Steen's return im hoping for:

Steen Stast Tara
Schwartz Schenn Sobo

i aint Dunn yet

Apr 13, 2015
17 +10 = goals ...................on the 1 they didnt score ................ it was unreal ....................... i think scheen hit the post

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Our bottom six is absolutely terrible. The top line looked okay, but can definitely be improved. The Schwartz-Schenn-Jaskin line has been nothing short of fantastic.

I do think we were outplayed for larger stretches of that game than we should've. I think the big reason for that is the lack of structure in our bottom six. We have guys playing who seem to struggle to make a simple pass. Dallas had a lot of possession and a mixture of solid defending of the slot and Allen playing very well kept us in it.

My solution would be to swap up the lines. Barbashev being the smart and versatile player he is, with some creativity, should be Tarasenko'a center and Sobotka seems to have chemistry with Tarasenko and also provides some versatility.
Sobotka-Barbashev-Tarasenko

Use Stastny to center Thompson. Thompson needs someone who can keep up and make plays. I'd like to see Megan on the left of that line.
Megan-Stastny-Thompson

Drop Sundqvist and Paajarvi to flank Brodziak.
Paajarvi-Brodziak-Sundqvist

When Steen returns, drop Thompson down to the minors, flip Sobotka to 3RW and run Steen-Barbashev-Tarasenko

Send Thorburn to the phantom zone and hope, unlike in Man of Steel, he can't escape.

Those are my thoughts based on the two games that have happened.

Wow, I completely disagree but your user name suggests you are a really big Barby fan. Stastny on the third line? Tarasenko with Sobotka and Barbashev? I think our best player needs our best center, I see nothing Barbashev has done to earn that role consistently. Make him earn it. But I see your suggested lines as minimizing the talent of both Stastny and Tarasenko. But at least you have a unique perspective on things. Barbashev should not play higher on the depth chart than 3C until he proves he can handle a bigger role.

thedustman

Jun 19, 2013
Wow, I completely disagree but your user name suggests you are a really big Barby fan. Stastny on the third line? Tarasenko with Sobotka and Barbashev? I think our best player needs our best center, I see nothing Barbashev has done to earn that role consistently. Make him earn it. But I see your suggested lines as minimizing the talent of both Stastny and Tarasenko. But at least you have a unique perspective on things. Barbashev should not play higher on the depth chart than 3C until he proves he can handle a bigger role.
What Yeo has Jaskined, perhaps he can Barbashev. I think Barbie has proved he deserves to be out there more than some others on the ice. Schenn has been great with j and schw... i can't wait til bergy is back tho.

Reactions: Klank Loves You

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
I really wonder how a scum bucket like Roussel is even allowed to play.....watched the game in spurts but saw the short segment where he jammed Gunnar to the head and then cross checked Tank up high at the bench....what a garbage player. He's the prototypical intent to injure player....gives the entire league a bad name by being on the ice.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Steen was terribad last year. He isn't sniffing a scoring line. Especially 2 that have shown good chemistry. He can be the guy on the 3rd line. It would give the Blues 3 lines to roll.

Sobokta has proved so far he's a threat when used in a scoring role, so he stays with Stastny and Tarasenko. Jaskin provides a unique element to Schwartz and Schenn, and he's produced before with good linemates. Puting Steen on the 3rd line will easily stabilize it and create potential matchup nightmares for teams. Still need to find the right peices though. Upshall and Brodziak prove they can still provide a beastly 200ft game....just get rid of Thornburn, please.

Reactions: PiggySmalls

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
There’s not a chance in the world I’m putting Barbashev on a line with Tarasenko right now. That’s a terrible call.

We collectively need to pump the brakes on him.

Sobotka-Stastny-Tarasenko
Schwartz-Schenn-Jaskin
Paajarvi-Barbashev-Sundqvist
Upshall-Megan-Brodziak

They did a better job as the game went on in the dot which has been an eyesore for awhile now, but I’m still not thrilled overall.

Reactions: Splatter

phxblue

Dec 17, 2015
I really wonder how a scum bucket like Roussel is even allowed to play.....watched the game in spurts but saw the short segment where he jammed Gunnar to the head and then cross checked Tank up high at the bench....what a garbage player. He's the prototypical intent to injure player....gives the entire league a bad name by being on the ice.

The league allows players like Roussel to thrive with the way they officiate the game. Scumbags like Roussel draw penalties from retaliation for their team, and throw scorers off their game. I think it would be best for the NHL to phase out these types of players. Is it really best for the NHL to have guys going out their looking to throw top scorers off their game and injure star players that NHL fans pay money to watch play the game?

I think not.

I think players of his type are relics from "old time hockey". But in "old time hockey" guys could give him an elbow to the face when they saw him coming. In "old time hockey" guys like Thorburn wouldn't get an instigator penalty for forcing cowards like Roussel to fight.

But in today's NHL scumbag players can go out there, play dirty, look to injure the other team's top players, draw retalatory penalties and escape punishment from a deserved beatdown... And in the event that they do drop the gloves, they have their helmets on anyway, so rarely do they ever get the beating they deserve.

If the NHL wanted to phase out the Roussel's of the game, they absolutely could. I believe they would need to do the following:

1. Make an offseason decision to clean up the game and get rid of the pests, punks and scumbags of the game like Roussel, Wilson, Shaw, etc.
NOTE: I'm not saying those 3 should be out of the NHL entirely, all 3 have other talents, and would need to alter their games to keep playing clean hockey.
2. Over enforce every cheapshot by specific players. Make life a living hell for the 3 mentioned and other players like them. Make coaches keep them out of the lineup with the massive penalty minutes they get assessed.
3. Suspend those types of players with massive suspensions every time a suspendible infraction occurs. 2-6 game suspensions are worthless. Suspend known offenders for 25+ games, often. Make their team see their salary as wasted salary.

If those 3 things were to happen with regularity, I think the game would be much cleaner, star players less injured and better able to perform within a season or less.

Reactions: carter333167

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
Who was Schenn centering during the preseason? Because I felt he looked meh at center until these past two games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->