GDT: Game 2: Kings @ Sharks, 7:30pm

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Vlasic deserved a big extension, maybe not at that high of a price but he deserved a lot. Jones, I got nothing.
Vlasic's is probably just a couple years too long in term. I think Burns might be also.

The Jones extension would have made more sense to do in January or February, which I've been saying all along. If Burns can wait until the February prior to UFA, so could Martin Jones. Jones doesn't have the pedigree or any kind of a resume yet, like those other two guys do. Jones has never had two good seasons in a row.

Mafoofoo

Jawesome
Jul 3, 2010
Laguna Beach
I made a bet with some girl I know here whos a kings fan over the game. I made a mistake. But damn that was not a fun game to watch. Did the team always look this slow?

YouJustGotPavelskied

Feb 15, 2009
Chico
You know, I consider myself a hardcore sharks fan, and I've watched all 82 games in several seasons. Tonight I turned it off after 5 minutes. We're too damn slow and it's frustrating as hell to see the same roster that flubbed the playoffs. Doesn't seem like we've learned any lessons about speed and will just stick with the same "veteran leadership" ideals that have yielded us zero championships.

Reactions: StanleyCup2035

Anomie2029

Oct 10, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
Well that was painful.

What made it even more depressing was watching the Caps-Habs game earlier (Go first Aussie in the NHL Nathan Walker!!!).

I honestly believe it has less to do with the players (they still have a lot of issues, don't get me wrong), but more to do with the system. Defensively they are way to passive with poor gap control. With the puck they want to stand and wait for an option, if they have to skate they do it without pace, and their cycle in the offensive zone involved 3 players standing next to each other before sending it to the point for a shot.

The PP was awful last year and absolutely nothing has happened. Not even an attempt to change.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
The Sharks are officially alone in last place in the division. Panic time. :scared:

DW and PBD's plan is working perfectly. Nowhere to go but up!

Still no clue how Spott kept his job all off-season though.

DW has stated multiple times in front of the press, and in front of the STHs that he favors loyalty. Trouble is he favors loyalty over substance. There are too many Sharks staff under him that should be gone like Spott, Burke, the scouts who actually scout goaltenders.

It's best to get rid of DW and let his replacement deal with this issue inclusively.

We need to make a trade for Marleau

Trade for Reimer as well!

The guy DW should have signed was Marleau, and the guy he should not have signed was Thornton.

The Sharks play a really boring style of hockey. What happened to Year 1 Deboer.

DeBoer's NHL coaching career can be sumed up as "one and done".

Last edited:

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
Jumbo looks tentative, slow and unsure how to keep up.

Labanc is currently the best player on that line.

Id be interested to see the joes split now.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
well that was ugly. team is very ungelled. timing has been a problem with all the new integration so hopefully that rights itself over the course of the season.

i feel like the biggest gains will be had simply by this team playing together more.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
well that was ugly. team is very ungelled. timing has been a problem with all the new integration so hopefully that rights itself over the course of the season.

i feel like the biggest gains will be had simply by this team playing together more.

How is this team any different than last year’s team, minus Patty? If Jumbo and Pavs need to “play together more” to get their shit together, we’re boned. Nobody is playing with anyone they didn’t spend significant time with last year.

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011

Part of it may be they played very few games this preseason as a complete squad. Lots of games with prospects and resting players like Jumbo. Team looks off, with more time they should look like a more cohesive unit. That being said I think we need a trade. We have too much redundancy, lots of middle six players doing the same things and not scoring. We need to look for the right player who can add goals and wake up the offense but also help the team going forward during the inevitable and currently obvious decline of Thornton. Also, I'm tired of Dillon and DeMelo. DeMelo at the very least needs to sit for Heed after two bad games with little offense and abundant defensive errors. Having the luxury of an NHL ready Ryan should make Dillon trade bait as well.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Timo-Hertl-Donskoi don't really have all that much time together but they do just seem to not have their timing with each other down pat.

Painful Quandary

Mar 22, 2015
California
That was bad. It makes me really hate how long Jones and Vlasic where extended. I am going to have to engage in some serious cognitive dissonance believing in some sort of "stealth tank" to make it through the season.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
How is this team any different than last year’s team, minus Patty? If Jumbo and Pavs need to “play together more” to get their **** together, we’re boned. Nobody is playing with anyone they didn’t spend significant time with last year.

The top line is playing okay. Definitely the best on the team and responsible for just about all the offense. And they didn't play that much with Labanc last year.

Meier and Demelo are key changes.
PDB has Burns playing with Dillon. Hansen still doesn't have THAT much time with the team.

Yeah they lost Patty, a high minute, multi-situation forward. That alone majorly shuffles the lineup, Boedker in the Marleau role on line 2 is a huge change.
This is a significantly different team than last year and it's not surprising they don't have everything that tight yet, compared to previous years. Obviously there are few viable avenues for improvement other than just f***ing playing better, which should come with familiarity and game time.

I don't even know what point you're trying to make other than to just be negative.

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
Hertl needs to produce goals not just good possession stats. I'm worried that he hasn't made the leap to generating offense on his own. He was able to score well as a complimentary player being fed by Jumbo and Pavs, but for this team to work he needs to step up as a core piece on his own. Part of it is the lack of quality linemates. This is another reason I think we need to make a move, bringing in a top 6 would push everyone down one and improve every line. The flexibility that would give us, Couture could play wing and not have to take as many draws, Hertl could get better linemates who could actually score. Just need to find right fit for the right price.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
Jones also needs to dial in. IIRC he's been a slow starter each season he's been here, we just had great scoring luck early the past two or three seasons.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Let’s not forget that over the span that Hertl-Thornton-Pavelski was together in 2015-2016, Hertl outscored Pavelski. He was not a passenger on that line.

If you put Pavelski with Meier and Ward/Hansen, you can absolutely bet that he would struggle to score. And yet he’ll easily hit 30 goals with Thornton. Don’t discount the impact of linemates.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
We don't have a 1st line anymore. Jumbo is not playing like a 1st line C and Pavs is mainly a product of Jumbo. Couture-Donskoi with Couture as 'C' are good for 2nd line QoC but I just don't see them matching up against most teams top-lines. I know @Juxtaposer has mentioned this in the past but I would like to see Couture play wing. Maybe have Hertl center that line.

Couture-Hertl-Donskoi
Pavs-Jumbo-Labanc
Hansen-Tierney-Boedker
Karlsson-Carpenter-Ward

Also, give Heed/Ryan a shot.

Send Meier back to the AHL. Though honestly, I am not sure if that will help.

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
Let’s not forget that over the span that Hertl-Thornton-Pavelski was together in 2015-2016, Hertl outscored Pavelski. He was not a passenger on that line.

If you put Pavelski with Meier and Ward/Hansen, you can absolutely bet that he would struggle to score. And yet he’ll easily hit 30 goals with Thornton. Don’t discount the impact of linemates.
I agree. Hertl is one of my favorite players, I even own one of his signed game used sticks, he isn't completely to blame. I just want to see him elevate his play to his potential. Linemates is a big part, which is why we need to bring in another impact player. I don't think this team has enough center piece players who make everyone around them better but also dictate the play. As I see it, we have a fading Jumbo, Couture, Burns, and Vlasic who fit that bill. We need another for now if we want to compete and an additional player of that ilk for the future, which will be hard to come by without tanking as has been much discussed around here lately. As for Pavs, he's in a rut as Thornton's go to. He was able to generate offense with Mitchel and Wellwood way back in the day but now he relies too much on Jumbo and shots from the point, too much waiting for tips and not enough shooting and playmaking. In fact, I see the entire team and relying too much on Burns, shots from the point that are too often blocked or his passes cutoff. Teams have learned how to shut us down because we have become predictable.

Anomie2029

Oct 10, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
I actually thought the Meier-Hertl-Donskoi line actually produced the best scoring opportunities.

How Ward is getting PP and PK time whilst being an old and out of form 4th liner I will never understand.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Sorenson has done more than enough to replace Ward this year on the 4th line.

Ward is going to maintain a spot in the lineup if for no other reason than to not give off the impression that he's not valuable in a trade elsewhere. The sooner they can move him out, the better.

The only guys that matter that need to play better that can play better is Thornton, Burns, and Jones. Pavs only goes as Thornton and Burns goes. I think Couture is pretty much boned regardless this year. He's just not going to get the kind of help needed to produce at even strength, imo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->