GDT: Game 2! Hawks vs Jackets @ 7:30PM Central on WGN-- Gif Heavy Lineup 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
The Hayden-Anisimov-Debrincat line did NOT look good in the limited time they saw last game after Schmaltz was out. They basically spent their shifts chasing the puck around their own end.

Limited sample, so we could try it again, but Im not sure that's a great answer.
I think it will take a bit of time for Hayden and Ansimov to figure things out. Two big bodies on the ice need to define their roles a bit more. DeBrincat can play with anyone.

BrianE

Dec 29, 2014
WI
For those concerned about Debrincat i wouldn't worry as it's only 2 games, give the youngster some time. Bummer that Schmaltz is out next couple, he's been so exciting to watch. A good rest for him and hope he'll be good to go soon.

Curious to see what the Leafs are like.

ModryJazyk

Go Hawks !
Feb 22, 2010
Bratislava
How have Forsling and Rutta looked so far?
very happy, he smiled like a kid after his first NHL goal.Seriously, dmen were fine, all.

You could see how jacked Panik was after that play too!
he was, and in the end, Hawks outhit opps 32-27, it didnt happen too often in past seasons

How you would think about Hayden-Hartman-Kane?
or Hawks could call up fast Hino to Kane and try Kampf at 4C until Kero is back.

sugoi88

Feb 28, 2016
You could see how jacked Panik was after that play too!
Not only Panik but Toews and Saad. I believe it inspired Toews so much he set up to finish the play for a goal. Think Toews was still talking to Panik about it on the bench, with the coaches also congratulating Panik on the play. It's great so far to see Panik taking it more upon himself to make a play happen. Hoping he becomes more consistent this season. Saad has put himself in the mix since pre-season. Toews will get more and more inspired. Just a beautiful play as well as the goal in the 4th.

Reactions: ModryJazyk and migi

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
very happy, he smiled like a kid after his first NHL goal.Seriously, dmen were fine, all.

he was, and in the end, Hawks outhit opps 32-27, it didnt happen too often in past seasons

or Hawks could call up fast Hino to Kane and try Kampf at 4C until Kero is back.

Almost never happens with the Hawks of the past 5-10 years.

Unfortunately, the poll and all of the tables showing the data are lost in the forum conversion, but here http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/when-was-the-last-time.2221175/ is a link discussing the Hawks' lack of hitting, but a post survives (number 65) summarizing the data.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
It is just that tge puck is not finding D-Cat very much ...in juniors it always did and he made great plays when he had it ...first night I ascribed to jitters...but last night you cannot use that anymore..he was not horrible but rather a non-difference -maker and so not very threatening in attack creation and a bit slow to get to pucks in our zone ..the nay-sayers always thought his lack of real speed might be a problem...spofar that looks to be possibly on the mark..Or maybe he is more comfortable at LW not RW ?Or he has no chemistry (yet?) With Anisimov and Sharp (actually they have not shown much chemistry with each other either) ...so we get a 3rd line that relies on a few individual moments of threat but not (yet) a threat of possession to the opposition...they were defending in our zone a lit last night not driving g attacks into the CLBS zone.So I always said D-Cat needs to make thevteam as a top six "differenxe-maker" not as some 3rd line sporadic typical bottom six rookie...woukd time in the AHL help D-Cat..not sure. .if his role continues as 3RW on that line with AA and Sharp..But maybe if they added speed with Hino at C that might change th3 chemistry and active attack threats ...I think maybe Hayden woukd fit Beyer at 3RW as extra beef with AA and Sharp so that they could play the cycle game style as a line using more strength to win puck battles ..If Hino were using an attack rush up the gut. ..D-Cat probably could do the "trailer" to get tge drop pass and fire away from tgat or there woukd be some 2 on 1 rushes off transition created by speed .At least they need to try that because to me Sharp AA D-Cat is not showing much chemistry as a line ...relying on a few soiradic individual efforts by Sharp but otherwise not convincing as a line.

As to rookies...Milano looked more threatening (he also got then line Columbus goal) as a rookie than D-Cat did ...I do not buy the he is only 19 "baby" excuse..the fact is whether he has scored or not ..he just does nit look like much of a threat out there. .and if that continues then he either needs to be sent down or tgey find him a C who he can play his game with ..This is probably a chemistry issue and a positional issue (he is better at LW) but it coukd be that darn speed issue...Whatever it really is ,to me he is posing little threat out there and if that continues ...well it should not continue and Q will have to change up ..Sure as others contribute in our 15 goal splurge over 2 games (against teams playing tge 2nd of back to back games and both using back-up goalies and with our home ice advantage) the fact is we will need more when facing rested teams in their barn with their #1 goalies in net ...we will need an effective 3rd line attack contribution ..So D-Cat's non-difference-making cannot continue much longer before Q decides he has to change up the combos in the bottom six .

I agree with a lot of this. The 10-15-12 line has not meshed. They look like 3 individuals instead of a line. For as much as I think Q hit gold by putting Hartman at LW with 8-88 because Hartman's game compliments what Schmaltz and Kane need for a linemate - someone to consistently drive the net, I think the 3rd line is more like left over parts that Q had to do something with so he stuck them together. Each is a good player but their individual games don't compliment each other and they haven't had enough time together yet to figure it out.

As to Milano looking more threatening than DCat - I agree but Milano is 2 years older and spent 2 years in the AHL learning how to play against pros. If Columbus offered a one for one Milano for DCat trade I would decline because I think DCat has a higher ceiling than Milano and it will take him less than 2 years to reach and surpass Milano.

migi

Feb 25, 2015
10-15-12 has not meshed? In Pens game they were a threat, they scored a goal and could've scored at least two more if some lucky bounces. Yesterday they didn't play together a lot because lines were juggling.

I mean yeah they havent been like first line and Kanes line yet but it's one game and some random shifts together in the second game. They showed enough chemistrt for me in the first game.

But what are you going to do then? Put Cat in to minors? There is no way they are going to mix those top lines now when Schmaltz is back, no way.

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I agree with a lot of this. The 10-15-12 line has not meshed. They look like 3 individuals instead of a line. For as much as I think Q hit gold by putting Hartman at LW with 8-88 because Hartman's game compliments what Schmaltz and Kane need for a linemate - someone to consistently drive the net, I think the 3rd line is more like left over parts that Q had to do something with so he stuck them together. Each is a good player but their individual games don't compliment each other and they haven't had enough time together yet to figure it out.

As to Milano looking more threatening than DCat - I agree but Milano is 2 years older and spent 2 years in the AHL learning how to play against pros. If Columbus offered a one for one Milano for DCat trade I would decline because I think DCat has a higher ceiling than Milano and it will take him less than 2 years to reach and surpass Milano.

I think the line has been fine but your analysis begs the question: How long does it take for chemistry to be built on a line? Certainly more than 2 games in most cases. ... and 2 games that were both wins. Q had an excuse in the last game to play musical lines when 8 went down to injury but I hope he goes back to the same first and third units vs Leafs.... waiting to hear Hino is being recalled.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
While Schmaltz is out, I would just bring up Hino and slot him where Schmaltz is. 3 reasons, 1: maintains the speed in the spot, 2: allows the other lines to roll as usual, 3: it lets the Hawks see what they have in Hino in a more offensive role while boosting his value if trading him is a thought (not saying t should be).

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
While Schmaltz is out, I would just bring up Hino and slot him where Schmaltz is. 3 reasons, 1: maintains the speed in the spot, 2: allows the other lines to roll as usual, 3: it lets the Hawks see what they have in Hino in a more offensive role while boosting his value if trading him is a thought (not saying t should be).

Totally agree. Hino can do a good enough job with that line. He has good chemistry with Hartman and let's face it, Kane'll score with pretty much any center (even a broken down Zeus). Moving others into different positions will have a ripple effect on the 3rd and 4th lines.

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Totally agree. Hino can do a good enough job with that line. He has good chemistry with Hartman and let's face it, Kane'll score with pretty much any center (even a broken down Zeus). Moving others into different positions will have a ripple effect on the 3rd and 4th lines.

I hope Q feels the same way. He has had a tendency in the past to stick with what has worked.

Reactions: CallMeShaft

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
I disagree. If you're outshooting (let alone out-attempting) a team 2:1 , then generally you're in control of the game. Later on in lop-sided games, score effects can cause the losing team to push and the winning team to sit back, which skews the shots and attempts due to desperation. But this was in the first period.

If you want to argue the merits of shot quality and a counter-punching strategy, that's fine but by the very definition of counter-punch, the other team maintains consistent control while you look for the few openings afforded and try to make the most of them.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
I think the line has been fine but your analysis begs the question: How long does it take for chemistry to be built on a line? Certainly more than 2 games in most cases. ... and 2 games that were both wins. Q had an excuse in the last game to play musical lines when 8 went down to injury but I hope he goes back to the same first and third units vs Leafs.... waiting to hear Hino is being recalled.

I wasn't suggesting the 3rd line was bad, only they're lacking the cohesion on the offensive end that you want to have in a line. I don't know the answer to your question but I agree it certainly takes more than 2 games for a line to mesh. I hope Q gives them a bunch more games together and hopefully the top two lines continue to produce so Q doesn't feel he has to mix it up.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014

Yeah, not a coincidence they were also outshot and out-possessed. In this case it's fine, because most of the Blackhawks chasing the puck happened after they had established a huge lead early, and score effects started taking effect.

Generally speaking, the less hitting and more shooting, the better for the Blackhawks. You know they're playing their possession game well when they're at the bottom of the league or close to it in hits.

Which isn't to say hitting has no place. Panik's hit was a good play at the right time.

ModryJazyk

Go Hawks !
Feb 22, 2010
Bratislava
Yeah, not a coincidence they were also outshot and out-possessed. In this case it's fine, because most of the Blackhawks chasing the puck happened after they had established a huge lead early, and score effects started taking effect.

Generally speaking, the less hitting and more shooting, the better for the Blackhawks. You know they're playing their possession game well when they're at the bottom of the league or close to it in hits.

Which isn't to say hitting has no place. Panik's hit was a good play at the right time.

yes I think this is the reason, they took an very early lead, so maybe they took a little break and let Crawford play, who knows how it would looked with possesion if it was close game.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
As to the bottom six if we assume the top six at the start of playoffs will be Saad Toews Panik then Hartman Schmaltz Kane ,Line #3 would be:

D-Cat Hino Sikura

And so line #4 will be;

SHARP AA Hayden ...

NOTES...you gotta get Sikura (assuming he signs with us) in the lineup. ..allows D-Cat to go back to LW ...This gives us 4 scoring lines which is hard to match ...I am certain D-Cat and Sikura on s kine can have good Chem ...Sikura can distribute and also scoreb9f distribution to him...styles will. mH9no providesvspeed up the gut ...I woukd be intrigued if they realized that this ought to be a trio . Sikura is a slot on for D-Cat to find his game and get enabled.

Meanwhile Sharp AA and Hayden ought to work .. and 8f you make it the 4th line ,it has to be a better 4th line than anything with Bourma Wingels or Kero on it ..

So in my opinion tge key to the entire bottom 6 puzzle is Sikura and getting Hino and the speed up the middle from the bottom six just as Schmaltz gives speed up the middle in the top six. balanced by what Toews and AA do as centers for lines.

Now...if Q cannot embarrass Sharp and AA as vets with demotion to 4th line..then designate Sharp AA Hayden as 3rd line and call D-Cat Hino and Sikura the 5th line
..point is we should get better offense than a thing with Bourma Kero and Wingels as "traditional "4th liners..in my opinion ...better to have 2 3rd lines tp provide more scoring Threat than a zero threat "traditiinal" 4th line of replaceable with hundred of similar 4th line no threats around the league. Few if any teams have 4 scoring lines ..Chicago should be 1 of those few teams with that structure..because we CAN ...so may othervteams's will.not have the option for the same because their talent depth does not allow it .So if wr have the option of 4 scori g line threats we should employ that..

This is all. Moot if Dylan Sikura pulls a K.Hayes us in belief that Q will not findcaxspitvfor him and force a year next season in Rockford.Remember that if Sikura signs hevwill want the Hayden contract ..that is burn a year for playing 1 game orca few games only in the ref season this season in the few games remaining after he signs. .
So ...Sikura will expect to play at least 2 regular season game before playoffs and to play in playoffs to cement his spit for next season ..And he will want to play with legit scoring threats not in for this season gone for next season dime a dozen 4th liners indistinguishable from thevusual 4th line do not matter guys around the league.

Thus I say by playoff time Q needsctobadd go alk in 9n an attack alk the time with 4 lines philosophy because the talent depth should make it possible.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
As to the bottom six if we assume the top six at the start of playoffs will be Saad Toews Panik then Hartman Schmaltz Kane ,Line #3 would be:

D-Cat Hino Sikura

And so line #4 will be;

SHARP AA Hayden ...

NOTES...you gotta get Sikura (assuming he signs with us) in the lineup. ..allows D-Cat to go back to LW ...This gives us 4 scoring lines which is hard to match ...I am certain D-Cat and Sikura on s kine can have good Chem ...Sikura can distribute and also scoreb9f distribution to him...styles will. mH9no providesvspeed up the gut ...I woukd be intrigued if they realized that this ought to be a trio . Sikura is a slot on for D-Cat to find his game and get enabled.

Meanwhile Sharp AA and Hayden ought to work .. and 8f you make it the 4th line ,it has to be a better 4th line than anything with Bourma Wingels or Kero on it ..

So in my opinion tge key to the entire bottom 6 puzzle is Sikura and getting Hino and the speed up the middle from the bottom six just as Schmaltz gives speed up the middle in the top six. balanced by what Toews and AA do as centers for lines.

Now...if Q cannot embarrass Sharp and AA as vets with demotion to 4th line..then designate Sharp AA Hayden as 3rd line and call D-Cat Hino and Sikura the 5th line
..point is we should get better offense than a thing with Bourma Kero and Wingels as "traditional "4th liners..in my opinion ...better to have 2 3rd lines tp provide more scoring Threat than a zero threat "traditiinal" 4th line of replaceable with hundred of similar 4th line no threats around the league. Few if any teams have 4 scoring lines ..Chicago should be 1 of those few teams with that structure..because we CAN ...so may othervteams's will.not have the option for the same because their talent depth does not allow it .So if wr have the option of 4 scori g line threats we should employ that..

This is all. Moot if Dylan Sikura pulls a K.Hayes us in belief that Q will not findcaxspitvfor him and force a year next season in Rockford.Remember that if Sikura signs hevwill want the Hayden contract ..that is burn a year for playing 1 game orca few games only in the ref season this season in the few games remaining after he signs. .
So ...Sikura will expect to play at least 2 regular season game before playoffs and to play in playoffs to cement his spit for next season ..And he will want to play with legit scoring threats not in for this season gone for next season dime a dozen 4th liners indistinguishable from thevusual 4th line do not matter guys around the league.

Thus I say by playoff time Q needsctobadd go alk in 9n an attack alk the time with 4 lines philosophy because the talent depth should make it possible.
AA and Sharp are not going to the 4th line

LDF

Sep 28, 2016

D-Cat Hino Sikura

And so line #4 will be;

SHARP AA Hayden ...

So in my opinion tge key to the entire bottom 6 puzzle is Sikura and getting Hino and the speed up the m

really, where did all come from. 2 games in the season and you are suggesting blowing up some lines and demoting players ?? why after 2 games and 2 huge wins ?? i am totally lost at this logic...... nor i guess i want to try.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
yes I think this is the reason, they took an very early lead, so maybe they took a little break and let Crawford play, who knows how it would looked with possesion if it was close game.
letting craw play with the way the Bhawks are playing. it good and will let craw grow into a calm goalie he was always.

dk2k

recovering cynic
Jul 5, 2017
Well Hartman played as C almost the whole game so I think Q don't think it's a no-go.
I saw, I just don't think it worked particularly well. Hartman has really risen to the opportunity winging alongside Kane; I'd have him stick to that.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN

D-Cat Hino Sikura

And so line #4 will be;

SHARP AA Hayden ...

No just no. This is even crazy for you. Think of what you just typed. I did and thought of this clip because it could not be more fitting (in a friendly manner).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad