GDT: Game 2 | Columbus at Chicago | 10/7 8:30PM

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
I think this was another bad decision by Torts to start Korpisalo. For Christ's sake, it's only the second game so Bob can't be tired. We're playing one of the most prolific scoring teams in hockey and we should have had our best team on the ice. Play Korpisalo next Tues. in Raleigh against a weaker team.
No. Play your best goalie against division and conference opponents. Those points mean more.

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
Why does it matter that Chicago had two home games against teams coming off back-to-backs? Especially at the beginning of the season. That is just how the schedule worked out, no agenda there

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
I say good we didn't start Bob. The amount of starters that got lit tonight is something, Price, Hank, Lehner, Talbot.

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
I think this was another bad decision by Torts to start Korpisalo. For Christ's sake, it's only the second game so Bob can't be tired. We're playing one of the most prolific scoring teams in hockey and we should have had our best team on the ice. Play Korpisalo next Tues. in Raleigh against a weaker team.

:facepalm:

Starting the backup against a non-conference opponent on the back end of a back to back is SOP for any coach.

Reactions: CBJFan827

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
I cannot understand why Torts sent Korpi into the lion's den tonite. Unless it was part of his master psychological plan to make the rest of the team see how they rely on Bob to bail them out rather than playing at the top of their own game. I mean, if Torts is engaged in his long term head games with the young kids to get them to understand what it really means to play at 110% of your ability, I get it. But beyond that it was stupid to send Korpi out against the Hawks.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
I cannot understand why Torts sent Korpi into the lion's den tonite. Unless it was part of his master psychological plan to make the rest of the team see how they rely on Bob to bail them out rather than playing at the top of their own game. I mean, if Torts is engaged in his long term head games with the young kids to get them to understand what it really means to play at 110% of your ability, I get it. But beyond that it was stupid to send Korpi out against the Hawks.
I guess Sullivan was dumb too, because he did the same.

Reactions: CPTN71

pled

Sep 7, 2009

It's simple, any back to back game vs a non-division opponent is a backup game there's no master plan or anything

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
It's really hard to believe that some folks don't understand why Korpi started tonight. It's quite literally the most simple concept in managing goalies.

It's simple, any back to back game vs a non-division opponent is a backup game there's no master plan or anything

So unless I'm mistaken Torts is a recent convert to this philosophy? I get the general idea but if I'm playing Isles/Hawks b*-t-b and I want to give #1 a rest (which in game 2 I doubt) I'm gong Korpi/Bob sop be damned. 4 pts is 4 points.

That being said it was't all on Korpi last night but he didn't help anything.

Reactions: CPTN71

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Well, I guess the silver lining is Torts has something to prove to his team "you're not as good as you think you are. Keep working."

See here's why I thought it sucked, schedule-wise. We as fans deserved one more day of being world-beaters. I mean sure I guess Torts and the players are important, but what about us?

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
I guess Sullivan was dumb too, because he did the same.
Well it definitely worked about as well for him as it did for us :D

In all seriousness, even with Bob last night - don't think he totally changes the outcome. Our D was bad and our top line didn't have much of an effect.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Looking at the faceoffs the last two nights.

Last night Wennberg only faced Toews(3/13) and Anisimov (2/5)

Dubinsky and Foligno killed it, but Foligno is getting a ton of the 3rd and 4th line matchups on the dot.

Against NYI Wennberg went 5/11 against Tavares, once again most on the team with Foligno dominating everyone else.

Last edited:

pled

Sep 7, 2009
So unless I'm mistaken Torts is a recent convert to this philosophy? I get the general idea but if I'm playing Isles/Hawks b*-t-b and I want to give #1 a rest (which in game 2 I doubt) I'm gong Korpi/Bob sop be damned. 4 pts is 4 points.

That being said it was't all on Korpi last night but he didn't help anything.

if the isles win and the hawks lose you just have 2 point and your division opponent for a playoff spot also have 2 point, its not just 4 points. even if the fan want chicago rivalty columubs changed division so thats mostly over.

Reactions: We Want Ten

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
https://theathletic.com//121820/201...ft-just-because-they-have-skill/?redirected=1

But it wasn't nearly enough. The Blackhawks shoved the Blue Jackets around most of the night.

This right here is some vintage Portzline. Haven't seen one of these in a bit. Perhaps he completely forgotten about last year's playoffs.

Were we outhit? Yeah, but I'd attribute that to it being the second night of a back to back, being in a huge hole early, and facing a fantastic team that annihilated the Stanley Cup champs the night they raised their banner.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
Looking at the faceoffs the last two nights.

Last night Wennberg only faced Toews(3/13) and Anisimov (2/5)

Dubinsky and Foligno killed it, but Foligno is getting a ton of the 3rd and 4th line matchups on the dot.

Against NYI Wennberg went 5/11 against Tavares, once again most on the team with Foligno dominating everyone else.
I do not understand the angst of Wennberg going 5 for 11 on the dot against Tavares - one faceoff the other way and Wennberg would have been 54.5% against one of the top 5 C's in the league. Too small a sample size to take anything from. Your text sounds as if Wennberg was expected to dominate the dot against C's who are admittedly more experienced and with extremely high talent level.

Having said that, I do understand some of your concern as against Toews - 3/13 is abysmal. Hopefully a one-night schooling. But it would not take much for Wennberg to get there. All-world C's who achieve 55%+ on the dot means the opposing C's will average 45%. Wennberg needs to get to elite level on the dot, and it will take a little more time. 7/13 would be 53.8%.
A little eyebrow raised after Saturday, Ok sure, but I am not particularly perplexed over FO% based on 2 games.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I do not understand the angst of Wennberg going 5 for 11 on the dot against Tavares - one faceoff the other way and Wennberg would have been 54.5% against one of the top 5 C's in the league. Too small a sample size to take anything from. Your text sounds as if Wennberg was expected to dominate the dot against C's who are admittedly more experienced and with extremely high talent level.

Having said that, I do understand some of your concern as against Toews - 3/13 is abysmal. Hopefully a one-night schooling. But it would not take much for Wennberg to get there. All-world C's who achieve 55%+ on the dot means the opposing C's will average 45%. Wennberg needs to get to elite level on the dot, and it will take a little more time. 7/13 would be 53.8%.
A little eyebrow raised after Saturday, Ok sure, but I am not particularly perplexed over FO% based on 2 games.
My post was more along the lines of "we're fine down the middle we don't need Duchene" than it was trying to put anyone down. Toews is one of the best face-off guys in the league, he's consistently hitting 60% plus, I fully expect Wennberg to be dominated in that matchup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad