GDT: Game 18: VIVA LAS VEGAS: Baby we need some goals!!!!! 7pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Man Clagary was right with us for goals scored until a few games ago, now they just rocking in scoring. I suspect we will follow the same path, starting tonight.

6-2 win for us.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Vegas is a superior opponent. Second best in the division. They have scored 19 more goals, allowed 6 less and are playing solid hockey even when their first 3 strings of goalies are injured

They have a better record not even 20 games into the season, that doesn't mean they are the superior team. They have a better record than Pittsburgh too.

I refuse to believe that an expansion team is superior to the McDavid, Draisaitl and Talbot led Oilers for the sake of my sanity. Don't care what the records are, this is the type of game that the Oilers SHOULD win if they want to go anywhere but the toilet this season.

Reactions: nabob

walktheboulavard

Jul 8, 2016
Those top six practice jersey colours look sick, we should have went with that, orange should have never been the designated home jersey.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I don't care what any one says, Vegas is off to a fluky start, they are a horrible team. We should roll over them tonight.
Whats your definition of roll over? 1 goal W.

2-1?

Because other than 1/16 of the last games we haven't beat a team by more than 1 goal.

I don't know right now that we would "roll over" the Yotes. We would probably win but..

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Shut out by Vegas. Could it get any worse tonight?

Sure it could.

McDavid season-ending injury.

Lucic suspended for 25 games for ref abuse.

Draisaitl demands trade to Calgary.

Talbot gets Salo'ed.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
They have a better record not even 20 games into the season, that doesn't mean they are the superior team. They have a better record than Pittsburgh too.

I refuse to believe that an expansion team is superior to the McDavid, Draisaitl and Talbot led Oilers for the sake of my sanity. Don't care what the records are, this is the type of game that the Oilers SHOULD win if they want to go anywhere but the toilet this season.
Okay lets look at these teams top to bottom

Line 1
Maroon - McDavid - Draisaitl
vs
Marchessault - Karlsson - Smith
Advantage: Oilers (not even close)

Line 2
Lucic - RNH - Puljujarvi
vs
Perron - Haula - Neal
Advantage: Tie (Nuge is the best player here but the wingers for Vegas are better)

Line 3
Khaira - Strome - Pakman
vs
Lindberg - Eakin - Tuch
Advantage: Golden Knights

Line 4
Malone - Letestu - Kassian
vs
Carrier - Bellemare - Nossek

Defense
Pair 1
Nurse - Larrsson
vs
Schmidt - Theodore
Advantage: Oilers

Pair 2
Klefbom - Benning
vs
McNabb - Engelland
Advantage: Golden Knights (If Klefbom had his brain this year it would be Oilers)

Pair 3
Russell - Auvitu
vs
Miller - Hunt

So really the Golden Knights have lesser top end players but their depth is much much better.
An expansion team has better depth players than an org year 12 into a rebuild.

Reactions: A91 and Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
^^Very nice rundown Cyclone, and its fair and honest and I don't think many could disagree with any of your individualized assessments there and your conclusion is telling.

Before this game is even played there should be ample concern re the respective depths of the orgs.

That said we have a big advantage in goaltending with Fleury out and that will probably be the edge tonight.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
^^Very nice rundown Cyclone, and its fair and honest and I don't think many could disagree with any of your individualized assessments there and your conclusion is telling.

Before this game is even played there should be ample concern re the respective depths of the orgs.

That said we have a big advantage in goaltending with Fleury out and that will probably be the edge tonight.
The only one that I am iffy about is the second pairing cause if Klefbom plays as he should it wouldn't be close. But he hasn't been.

We should have an advantage in goaltending but I remember the Toronto game last year where we gave a crap rookie a shutout in his first NHL game.
This team tends to not get enough shots on bad goalies and make their jobs easy. The key to scoring on low level goalies is to make them work because they aren't good enough to keep up. however too often we will throw like 20 shots total against them and thats it.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
It makes sense that Vegas would have good 3/4th line and 3rd pairing D depth. They got to pick the best 3rd liners and #4 Dmen from every team in the league...
Sure, but around the league you find examples of depth players that are actually our former players and that are better players than what we are currently using in the respective positions. I mean Perron is better than Strome right? Just as example. McNabb afairc, from LA was also unsuccessfully shopped to other teams rather than losing him outright. They wanted Vegas to have to pick Gaborik. Getting anything for McNabb would of course have been preferable for LA.

Actually a fair argument can be made, and has been, that the expansion draft offered other clubs multiple potential of deals that could save other member teams from losing a desired player outright, for nothing.

This argument as you know has been applied as well concerning Neal, the Knights best player. Of course the Preds would have preferred some kind of deal and getting some asset in return instead of losing Neal.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Wooo, same lines.. If they don't win tonight, McLellan's gonna be on my nerves.

If you like McDavid, you'll get to watch him for like the entire game since he'll get triple/quadruple shifted like the last few games lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad