GDT: Game 1: Caps vs. Blue Jackets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Meant to post this here, not in the series thread.

Recently got back from Cap1. Have only skimmed this page. Said this to anyone who would listen, nobody disagreed.
When they got up 2-0 and were on the verge of chasing Bob, they took the foot off the gas. Even the last part of the major their play became lackadaisical, cutesy. They acted like they were up 4-0 or more. Then Cbus got back into the game, and Bob settled down into "reg season" Bob.

When they tied it I knew it didn't look good. However the Caps had the edge early in the OT. Cbus first good counter and it's a goal.
The late calls on Tom and Bura were awful. Bura goes for the puck in a play that happens 100s of times in a game and the BJ drops like he was shot :mad:

Props to Kuzy and some other players.
The turtle was real man, I just got back home....2 hour drive. f***ing pissed man. Pissed.

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
This board is ****ing terrible.

Love those guys who show up just only for the postseason just to comment that the team sucks and they quit. Why even bother???

Who said it will be a Caps in 4 or 5?? We play against the hottest team in the league, and we know it will be a close series. BTW, when you play an OT, it means it was close. And we were better in this game. It's only one game, we're not out of the playoffs.

Bura idiot, why you do this 200 ft from your own goal, 0 danger for your team right there.

I think I can count fingers only of my one hand, people that didn't talk **** about Ovi in this game. Yeah continue like that. The only thing I blame Ovi for, is that he was the only player to care about for the most part of the season. If he didn't care about this season, Caps would be already on vacation and there would be no playoff disappointment.

Gruby/Holtby. I don't blame Gruby, but there was too much drama and talk about who will start. Gruby didn't have those timely great saves, A+ chances, (like Bob on Chiasson) that this board was blaming Holtby to not doing them. If we can go back and re start this game, I'd go with Holtby.

And are you happy now, we outshoot them 30-27. That's not what you begging for since october????? Caps fans.

Now I'll watch games only in the morning in replay
1) because I want to sleep
and
2) the most important part, because watching in replay, I'll avoid this board (because I don't want to know the score) and their negative comments live

Last edited:

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Tough loss.

Going down a defenseman so early was really tough. If he is out for the rest of the series hopefully Jerabek can step up because Orpik can no longer play those kind of minutes next to Carlson and Djoos isn’t ready for it in these circumstances.

Orlov struggled some last night and the results a couple times was the puck in the net, including the OT winner. Maybe at that point he was just worn down but he didn’t play it well at all. Burakovsky played well overall but the penalty was as boneheaded as they come. It will be interesting to see how old school Trotz reacts to that. Wilson was pretty decent all game but not getting that puck out on that last PK was a killer. If a number of others on the team had failed similarly on that play this board would have burned down.

Nice to see Smith-Pelly get a goal on that sweet feed from Vrana and Kuznetsov’s second goal was a very nice snipe.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Orlov screwed the pooch on that OT goal for sure but he was much more dynamic and effective everywhere else on the ice for most of the game. He's a dangerous talent that has a few Pizza Moments for sure, but like Vrana it's worth the risk because the rewards are RARE when it comes to the available skills in the NHL pool. Everyone makes mistakes. Few can actually score and you can't teach speed.

Wilson wasn't great but he wasn't bad, either. He was all over the ice dogging the puck but the early ejection of Anderson set the tone for the game and maybe the series. The questionable charging call later on confirmed the fear that he will be on a short leash when it comes to reffing.

Bura is still a dumb player. While Vrana may lack some NHL polish and is probably 80% about speed at this point in his career, Bura has no excuse. His idiotic penalty late in the game was the turning point and every bit the boneheaded, game/series killing type of move many pillory Orpik for.

The other "star" players in our top 6 were mostly "meh" except for Kuzy, who carried the team. Oshie tried to stir the pot a bit but was playing it too cute, often passing up good shots for low percentage, timid passes. Backstrom was there, doing some things, per his usual playoff personna. Ovechkin was clearly the focus of the Cbus defensive gameplan so he has to find a way to beat the pressure.

The bottom 6 and goaltending were also good-but-not-great. DSP probably had a career game. Stephenson looked LOST way too much out there.

Faceoffs, man. I don't care what the fancy stats say, they kill you in the d-zone and especially in the playoffs or on special teams. Fix it.

peterthegreat12

Hopeless Caps fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jan 22, 2011
Washington DC
This board is ****ing terrible.

Love those guys who show up just only for the postseason just to comment that the team sucks and they quit. Why even bother???

Who said it will be a Caps in 4 or 5?? We play against the hottest team in the league, and we know it will be a close series. BTW, when you play an OT, it means it was close. And we were better in this game. It's only one game, we're not out of the playoffs.

Bura idiot, why you do this 200 ft from your own goal, 0 danger for your team right there.

I think I can count fingers only of my one hand, people that didn't talk **** about Ovi in this game. Yeah continue like that. The only thing I blame Ovi for, is that he was the only player to care about for the most part of the season. If he didn't care about this season, Caps would be already on vacation and there would be no playoff disappointment.

Gruby/Holtby. I don't blame Gruby, but there was too much drama and talk about who will start. Gruby didn't have those timely great saves, A+ chances, (like Bob on Chiasson) that this board was blaming Holtby to not doing them. If we can go back and re start this game, I'd go with Holtby.

And are you happy now, we outshoot them 30-27. That's not what you begging for since october????? Caps fans.

Now I'll watch games only in the morning in replay
1) because I want to sleep
and
2) the most important part, because watching in replay, I'll avoid this board (because I don't want to know the score) and their negative comments live
Welcome to message boards. There is this concept where people are able to exchange information and have different opinions.

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
Orlov screwed the pooch on that OT goal for sure but he was much more dynamic and effective everywhere else on the ice for most of the game. He's a dangerous talent that has a few Pizza Moments for sure, but like Vrana it's worth the risk because the rewards are RARE when it comes to the available skills in the NHL pool. Everyone makes mistakes. Few can actually score and you can't teach speed.

Wilson wasn't great but he wasn't bad, either. He was all over the ice dogging the puck but the early ejection of Anderson set the tone for the game and maybe the series. The questionable charging call later on confirmed the fear that he will be on a short leash when it comes to reffing.

Bura is still a dumb player. While Vrana may lack some NHL polish and is probably 80% about speed at this point in his career, Bura has no excuse. His idiotic penalty late in the game was the turning point and every bit the boneheaded, game/series killing type of move many pillory Orpik for.

The other "star" players in our top 6 were mostly "meh" except for Kuzy, who carried the team. Oshie tried to stir the pot a bit but was playing it too cute, often passing up good shots for low percentage, timid passes. Backstrom was there, doing some things, per his usual playoff personna. Ovechkin was clearly the focus of the Cbus defensive gameplan so he has to find a way to beat the pressure.

The bottom 6 and goaltending were also good-but-not-great. DSP probably had a career game. Stephenson looked LOST way too much out there.

Faceoffs, man. I don't care what the fancy stats say, they kill you in the d-zone and especially in the playoffs or on special teams. Fix it.
Can I like this post 100 more times?

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
@ovikovy817

People aren't angry because they solely lost, people aren't happy because of the way they played - which is exactly the way they have played under Trotz in past years. I think we expected this team to TRY and do something different because its been proven year in and year out playing the way they did last night isn't going to be successful in the playoffs.

When you dominate the first two period, and get so many damn PP chances, you've got to be able to put more than just two. They don't have the goaltending nor the defense they did last year, so they can't turtle and expect to win with two goals.

Reactions: calicapsfan

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
@ovikovy817

People aren't angry because they solely lost, people aren't happy because of the way they played - which is exactly the way they have played under Trotz in past years. I think we expected this team to TRY and do something different because its been proven year in and year out playing the way they did last night isn't going to be successful in the playoffs.

When you dominate the first two period, and get so many damn PP chances, you've got to be able to put more than just two. They don't have the goaltending nor the defense they did last year, so they can't turtle and expect to win with two goals.

A hockey game is usually played with 2 teams playing against one each other.
Do you think it's a beer league team on the other side?
Do you think the team who trails by 1 won't push to score the goal to tie the game.

It's natural to defend what you have, human nature. Need to stop to use turtle everywhere.

I'm wondering what the reaction will be if in the last 5 minute of a game when you lead by 1 your d will lead the rush, make a mistake in the o zone, that will result in a goal in your own end on the other side. I don't think I'll see people post "yeah, it was a nice try by the D. Continue like that"

Lindemann

Apr 7, 2017
I think what people need to understand is that it’s not that we are pissed that the Caps lost.

It’s the fact that we lose THE.SAME.WAY.EVERY.YEAR

This team isn’t going anywhere. Hate to say it but it’s not gonna happen as long as turtle Trotz is at the helm

Empty Goal Net

Tank Brigadier
Feb 13, 2010
" . . . the more they stay the same."

Dmen passing the puck back & forth because the passing and shooting lanes are occupied? [At least they did not shoot into a forward's pads.] On effective teams, a) forwards move to create opportunities and b) dmen move the puck thru the lanes they're given for rebounds off the boards. For most of the Caps, these appear to be foreign concepts.

Bonehead penalties. Ineffective PKs. Formula for disaster.

I didn't know Connolly was dressed until the game was about half over. Moar yut.

Bye-bye 2-goal lead. Adios, home ice. Have an advantage? Give it up without much of a fight. Overcoming adversity produces strength. Except the Caps ultimately wilt in the face of adversity.

Seen this movie too many times.

Reactions: calicapsfan

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Burakovsky outplayed a number of Capitals forwards tonight. As always, whatever brand of hockey you think you know doesn't seem to represent what works in the NHL today.
You think turning the puck is what wins you games?

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Well, the decision to start Grubauer cost them dearly here. The beginning of the end for Barry Trotz.
Most people here wanted Grubauer in net too. I was strongly opposed to the decision. I wouldnt say Grubauer was terrible but he wasn't good either. He didn't face a lot of high danger shots. Didnt face many shots at all. Only 27 in an OT game. Guess that's why his sv percentage is so low. 16th out of the 17 goalies that played. At least he was better than Elliot.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
" . . . the more they stay the same."

Dmen passing the puck back & forth because the passing and shooting lanes are occupied? [At least they did not shoot into a forward's pads.] On effective teams, a) forwards move to create opportunities and b) dmen move the puck thru the lanes they're given for rebounds off the boards. For most of the Caps, these appear to be foreign concepts.

Bonehead penalties. Ineffective PKs. Formula for disaster.

I didn't know Connolly was dressed until the game was about half over. Moar yut.

Bye-bye 2-goal lead. Adios, home ice. Have an advantage? Give it up without much of a fight. Overcoming adversity produces strength. Except the Caps ultimately wilt in the face of adversity.

Seen this movie too many times.
Connolly was pretty invisible. On the bright side we didn't notice any brutal mistakes either.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Ovechkin is playing to avoid the Pens

Can't lose to them again if you don't play them.

Roll-Safe-Think-About-It.jpg

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
A hockey game is usually played with 2 teams playing against one each other.
Do you think it's a beer league team on the other side?
Do you think the team who trails by 1 won't push to score the goal to tie the game.

It's natural to defend what you have, human nature. Need to stop to use turtle everywhere.

I'm wondering what the reaction will be if in the last 5 minute of a game when you lead by 1 your d will lead the rush, make a mistake in the o zone, that will result in a goal in your own end on the other side. I don't think I'll see people post "yeah, it was a nice try by the D. Continue like that"

I really like this post and your previous one.

The Caps don't necessarily "turtle" they do what basically every team in the history of sports does when leading in a game, they try to protect what they have.

And I always think to myself when I want to be hyper critical, "there is actually another team playing in this game".

Burka's penalty was dumb and it took away from him playing a great game but other than mistakes here and there, caused by the OTHER TEAM, I thought the Caps played well.

Reactions: ovikovy817

Bladerunner

Aug 12, 2009
N VA
The turtle was real man, I just got back home....2 hour drive. ****ing pissed man. Pissed.
A friend who watched at home emailed this morning to say:
Not sure I'm even going to watch (Sunday). I'm wiped out from game 1.

I'll watch, I'll watch :banghead:
My hope was they could eliminate Cbus in 6 if not 5. They way the PA series is going it looks like it will go about 5. Just don't want Pitt to have too much of a rest advantage if we get that far.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
People blame Trotz yet again for a loss that a few key players could've avoided. Is it Trotz's fault if Wilson jumps into a hit? Is it his fault if Burakovsky trips a guy behind the opposition's net? Is it his fault if Wilson didn't get the puck out leading to Jones' game tying goal?

Reactions: maacoshark

OV Rocks

Jan 5, 2014
Beach with Beer
I am sure most of these thoughts have already been shared but my take away form game 1 is as followed

-Ovechkin and Backstrom have to be better. Ovechkin especially as the Caps had the last change and could get out against the 3rd pairing when they wanted.

-Stupid pointless penalties by Burakovsky and Kuznetsov in the 3rd

-The bottom 6 gets a B in my mind. I thought Vrana was one of the best players on the ice tonight and DSP got rewarded for some hardwork. Eller was ehhh ok could be better could be worse. I thought Stephenson was actually pretty good as well, was solid on the PK, decent in the draw, and drew a penalty. Chiasson and Connolly are whatever, would like them to shoot a little.

-Having Kempney out really killed the defense. Anything more than 15 minutes for Orpik is a detriment to the team. He was getting bodied by Vanek much more than just that horrible display of defense that led to the goal.

-The Wilson hit is 50/50. I thought it was fine, he turned into the guy but left his feet a little. I get the 2 minute penalty but anymore than that is going to be wrong.

-Gotta go back to Grubauer he played pretty solid, made a couple saves that should've been goals. Probably wants the Vanek goal back though.

-During one of the intermissions the Bruins-Leafs game cut in. The Bruins scored a goal when Pasternak drove the net and a Bruins player came flying in, batted the puck out of the air and jumped over Anderson to score. When have the Caps ever scored a goal like this in the playoffs. I think until they crash the net and get goals from inside the crease this team will not win a cup. Can't expect back door tap in goals or snipes from the perimeter to win 4 series.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
People blame Trotz yet again for a loss that a few key players could've avoided. Is it Trotz's fault if Wilson jumps into a hit? Is it his fault if Burakovsky trips a guy behind the opposition's net? Is it his fault if Wilson didn't get the puck out leading to Jones' game tying goal?

Let's not blame Wilson too much for those plays. That hit wasn't that bad, it was mostly hard and to the shoulder of a guy who wasn't ready. And the clear was a decent bank off the boards that required an excellent catcher-like body stop to stay in the zone. Great play by the cbus defender.

The fact is the TEAM was reeling in that period and they were not mentally ready for the push by Cbus. They folded under the pressure. The coach and the veteran players need to prepare the entire squad for these situations. When the other side loses a heart and soul guy to an ejection and goes down by 2 goals you have to know they are going to buck up and rally the rest of the game. You don't make the playoffs if you don't have some of that in you, especially if your reputation is for work ethic and tenacity like the Jackets.

The same thing happened last season in the first round when they were not ready for the Leafs, and as a result they went to OT 5 out of 6 games, including losses in games 2 and 3 after barely getting out of game 1.

The playoffs are a marathon that tests the grit and resolve of every player on the roster, and that requires the team leaders to motivate and adapt while leading by example. The coach and the "core" need to be better, consistently, or it will be more of the same this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->