GDT: Game 1: Caps vs. Blue Jackets

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I can go on. Didn't Ovi just win the goal scoring crown? Aren't we relatively healthy? BMac's dumpster diveish moves at the deadline were better than the best deadline moves George ever made and far far cheaper. We have forward depth. When is the last playoffs we had that? Gersich Pinho Boyd all in waiting, this is almost unheard of for us. Heck even Chaisson chips in the odd goal. On D we rolled Djoos and Bowey all year to first place and they can't even get a sweater. Holts is backup. Maybe the ultimate backup. Grubby's going to take some lumps that is fine, we have a Vezina on deck.

Barry just needs to stop trusting it will all just work out somehow. He needs to be the difference maker. Brian has done a good job getting him all that he needs.

The real wildcard? Willy. The dude is on a mission after a years worth of playing nice to not get suspended the entire f***ing year. I look for a big playoffs from him.

Last edited:

HeyMattyB

Sports bring out the worst in everyone.
Aug 20, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Over the years my emotional investment in this team has been chipped away to pretty much nothing. I'll watch, I'll cheer when they score, and be happy if they win a round because it means I get to watch them a little bit more. But when they lose in a mind-boggling, soul-crushing fashion (as they have year after year), I'll just kind of be like, "Eh" and do something more important. Like the laundry.

I just hope that if/when they ever DO win a championship, I won't be so emotionally divested from the team that it won't register.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Over the years my emotional investment in this team has been chipped away to pretty much nothing. I'll watch, I'll cheer when they score, and be happy if they win a round because it means I get to watch them a little bit more. But when they lose in a mind-boggling, soul-crushing fashion (as they have year after year), I'll just kind of be like, "Eh" and do something more important. Like the laundry.

I just hope that if/when they ever DO win a championship, I won't be so emotionally divested from the team that it won't register.
I’m kinda jealous.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Its not that far out of the box. Is it? One guy was the best goalie in the league the second half and the other guy cant keep 3 goals out of his net every game. Seems pretty much in the box to go the route he did

Since it took Barry almost the entire year to suck up the sack enough to do it, yes. He likes vets. We all know this. It is out of his element and you know this.

He should have pushed Holts with Grubby 2 seasons ago, to have him at the ready a year ago when Holts faltered. Barry was VERY late to say he pulled it out of his box right away. Starting Grubby was a very late addition to the box score. He didn't even announce/know his starter until a day ago, if it was so obvious.

Last edited:

HeyMattyB

Aug 20, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I’m kinda jealous.
I can't lie. It's a good feeling!!!

Though not as good a feeling as being at the game when Sergei Fedorov scored late in the 3rd Period against NYR in Game 7. That was the most exciting moment in Caps' playoff hockey I've ever seen in person during my 25+ years of being a fan. Which, actually, is kind of sad.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
When Ward scored the series winner against Boston, was on the road in Charlottesville and watched it on a Motel TV.

When MAJO scored the series winner last year against the Leafs, was on the road in Williamsburg.

Will get to watch the first game at home tonight but thereafter will be on the road for the remainder of this series and the beginning of the next.

Here's to the trend continuing.:crossfing

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Hoping for the best but always expecting this:

giphy.gif

This guy is all of us every year.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto

They'll pull you back in for sure if they make it to the SCF.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
He should have pushed Holts with Grubby 2 seasons ago, to have him at the ready a year ago when Holts faltered. Barry was VERY late to say he pulled it out of his box right away. Starting Grubby was a very late addition to the box score. He didn't even announce/know his starter until a day ago, if it was so obvious.

2 seasons ago? You mean his Vezina Trophy Most wins in a season record season? ok

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I can't lie. It's a good feeling!!!

Though not as good a feeling as being at the game when Sergei Fedorov scored late in the 3rd Period against NYR in Game 7. That was the most exciting moment in Caps' playoff hockey I've ever seen in person during my 25+ years of being a fan. Which, actually, is kind of sad.

I was at the Dale Hunter OT Flyers game. Sitting 6 rows back of Hextall at the time. That was.....awesome

McVechkin

Jun 29, 2015
2 seasons ago? You mean his Vezina Trophy Most wins in a season record season? ok

ha. and continued into the playoffs for 12 games with a 1.72 GAA and .9442 save%. Haha.

I am a holtby fan / supporter, but fully understand he hasnt had a good year and Grubs deserves this start.. but to throw holtby under the bus for the 2016 failure is absurd.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

It’s a shame ownership has done this to fans, but I know many who have your attitude now.

Me, I’ll keep getting my soul crushed.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
It’s a shame ownership has done this to fans, but I know many who have your attitude now.

This is why I say that we're the best fans in the league. No matter how many time our team gets embarrassed, we still show up to cheer them and we still invest ourselves in the future of the team by buying merchandise and tickets.

McVechkin

Jun 29, 2015
I think it will be extremely evident early on in this game if there should be reason for excitement this year. You will be able to tell in the style of play. If Trotz has the caps coming out overly defensive and conservative.. same old results will happen. If the caps are energized and pushing the play.. they will have a chance to go deep.

HeyMattyB

Aug 20, 2010
Philadelphia, PA

Moving to Philadelphia 8 years ago (after spending my entire life in Annapolis/D.C., and being a STH for 7 years) definitely took an additional toll on my emotional investment in the team. Also, the last two post-seasons, I spent the majority of the second round at a cabin in the Adirondacks without internet access. So instead of suffering through the last two Pittsburgh series, I was hiking up mountains with my dog and grilling over a fire pit while watching sunsets. That put some things into perspective, and was pretty much the killing blow in my hardcore fandom.

I've mentioned it before, but I moved here literally the morning after the Game 7 loss to Montreal. I had tickets to the game--but I sold them to pay for my rental moving truck, because experience had taught me it was gonna be another heartbreaking affair. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->