Player Discussion Galchenyuk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jethlan

Apr 3, 2017
RDP
Trading him to them would be such a huge mistake. Not only GAlchenyuk would perform like hell...but everybody we would get back wouldn't 'cause they won't be playing with the guys they are playing now.

This Habs team doesn't need more complementary players. They need REAL catalysts and leaders.
What would pens be willing to trade? Sprong?

Jul 6, 2016
Keep Drouin and Galchenyuk on the same line, get a proper third wheel to support them and put Patches elsewhere.

Sounds simple to a lot of people I'd imagine.

Yeah. That could work. With Lehkonen on the left side.

But Habs need badly another centerman to play with Patches. Danault is a 3rd liner.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
There's nothing in Pittsburgh's prospect pool that I would trade Galchenyuk for.

I'm also not looking for ways to give that asshole Crosby another path to a cup.

Charon

Jul 24, 2008
Something's up with Galchenyuk, and I hope he gets his normal game back soon. It seems that whenever he has the puck he's either stickhandling to nowhere, or he's trying to make a pass for a play that isn't really there to begin with. Where has his hockey vision gone? Without the puck, he's got to be one of our most inept forecheckers (I think only Hemsky is worse) and he's almost entirely lost in his own zone.

He was better than this in previous years. But as of right now, he's basically a Michael Ryder, a player we can only really rely on for his shot.

Our problems don't start and end with Galchenyuk - lots of players are struggling. But if I consider the gap between what we're getting from each player and what I was expecting at the start of the season, his gap is the perhaps the biggest of all our players.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Sprong would be a good start... + ????

Galchenyuk would play with Malkin, I guess.
sprong is not going any where. we are looking for a 3rd line center and that would be the place we would try him at...if your looking for a good young cheep winger we could give you sheary...he's playing on our first line...or hag's. if your looking to replace price, we have jarry....... and we could add a throw in ( pick or player)

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
sprong is not going any where. we are looking for a 3rd line center and that would be the place we would try him at...if your looking for a good young cheep winger we could give you sheary...he's playing on our first line...or hag's. if your looking to replace price, we have jarry....... and we could add a throw in ( pick or player)

I doubt Montreal has much interest in wingers or goalie prospects. Montreal has a ton of young wingers already and both Lindgren and McNiven look like they have serious starter potential.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
I doubt Montreal has much interest in wingers or goalie prospects. Montreal has a ton of young wingers already and both Lindgren and McNiven look like they have serious starter potential.
that's kind of what I thought...we are not the best trading partners....we don't have anything to spare on d and there is no way we are parting with the guy some have proposed. a winger for winger is about the best we could do...sheary 53 pt in 61 games. (very little pp time)... for chucky 44 in 61 games seems fair and I think we would be willing to a "little" cause I think chucky is a better player.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
TSN notorious BS'er James Duthis is saying the Pens have interest in Alex...

“Jim Rutherford and the Pittsburgh Penguins are in the market for a centre and he has been for quite some time, I would say. Just augment what they have in considerable talent up the middle of the ice there. There’s been some speculation as to who might be available as to players who aren’t and Matt Duchene probably isn’t a great fit financially for the Pittsburgh Penguins. But Alex Galchenyuk from the Montreal Canadiens, his name has surfaced. We shouldn’t be overly surprised by that, again given the fact that more often than not Galchenyuk seems to be in the doghouse there and given the play of the Montreal Canadiens as of late, perhaps there’s a fit there that could make some sense.

Last edited:

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Something's up with Galchenyuk, and I hope he gets his normal game back soon. It seems that whenever he has the puck he's either stickhandling to nowhere, or he's trying to make a pass for a play that isn't really there to begin with. Where has his hockey vision gone? Without the puck, he's got to be one of our most inept forecheckers (I think only Hemsky is worse) and he's almost entirely lost in his own zone.

He was better than this in previous years. But as of right now, he's basically a Michael Ryder, a player we can only really rely on for his shot.

Our problems don't start and end with Galchenyuk - lots of players are struggling. But if I consider the gap between what we're getting from each player and what I was expecting at the start of the season, his gap is the perhaps the biggest of all our players.

So he's been played as a bottom 6 winger this whole year but now gets bumped to the top line.

I figure he thinks he has 0 confidence from the coach and if he screws up back down he goes.

I'm guessing he has no confidence in his game and is focused on not messing up instead of trying to score. Remember , the coach and GM dont like his game.

So why would he be off?

Galchenioretty

Galchenyuk 1 G in last 18 playoff Gs
Oct 18, 2009
Canada
As far as overhyped, brain-dead, no hockey sense, disappointing top 10 picks go, I think Andrei Kostitsyn was a lot more fun.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Just trade him already. It's NEVER going to work out here. Not sure why they're still keeping him around...

Sure, trade him. He's been misused here since day one. It would likely be a better situation for him on almost any other team. But you'd better be prepared to accept a rather poor return, since Bergevin has done everything possible to devalue him.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

He also gets knocked off the puck easily. I'm not sure why. He has the size and it seems like he's physically built in a way that it should not be an easy task to body him off the puck. He also lacks wins around the boards.

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
He also gets knocked off the puck easily. I'm not sure why. He has the size and it seems like he's physically built in a way that it should not be an easy task to body him off the puck. He also lacks wins around the boards.

That does sounds exactly like Pacioretty. Oh wait, you're not calling him out, you're talking about the guy who's seen more line-mate combinations than a video lottery machine ever since we got him.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
That does sounds exactly like Pacioretty. Oh wait, you're not calling him out, you're talking about the guy who's seen more line-mate combinations than a video lottery machine ever since we got him.

This is exactly how to steer a conversation off the rails. If I want to talk about pacioretty, this is not the thread for it.

Somehow, if I'm criticising galchenyuk in a galchenyuk thread, it means I blindly endorse pacioretty's play.

Galchenioretty

Galchenyuk 1 G in last 18 playoff Gs
Oct 18, 2009
Canada
Bergevin, is that you?

Yeah I'm sure Bergevin would have loved Kostitsyn.

Bergevin is awful but it's ALWAYS someone else's fault when it comes to Galchenyuk. Therrien's fault, Bergevin's fault, the U-23 World Cup team was nuts to not even want him as an injury replacement, Julien's fault. He was overhyped like a lot of this core. He's got skill and he's a useful player but he's not that good. Maybe if he shoots 20+% for a full year he could be an okay, offense only, putrid defensively 2nd line C.

Jethlan

Apr 3, 2017
RDP

Bergevin is awful but it's ALWAYS someone else's fault when it comes to Galchenyuk. Therrien's fault, Bergevin's fault, the U-23 World Cup team was nuts to not even want him as an injury replacement, Julien's fault. He was overhyped like a lot of this core. He's got skill and he's a useful player but he's not that good. Maybe if he shoots 20+% for a full year he could be an okay, offense only, putrid defensively 2nd line C.
He produced as first line center when put there. Why would he suddenly become a 2nd line center?

Licentia

Jun 29, 2004
I can see it now. We'll trade Galchenyuk to Pittsburgh, he will become a star, and the return to us will be a fraction of the value that Galchenyuk will provide to Pittsburgh. Incompetence, incompetence, incompetence!

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
This is exactly how to steer a conversation off the rails. If I want to talk about pacioretty, this is not the thread for it.

Somehow, if I'm criticising galchenyuk in a galchenyuk thread, it means I blindly endorse pacioretty's play.

That's precisely how it is and how it has been by everyone harping on Galchenyuk in this thread. Pacioretty has escaped criticism for so long even by the coaching staff. He's always been a floater in the regular season and a ghost in the playoffs and yet he's named captain. Glachenyuk doesn't score in 1 game and gets immediately yanked from center position and placed on the wing with plugs, then we get people like you that come and call him out for what essentially is bad coaching and management.

Yes, it's his fault for not knowing how to play left wing when he's a center. It's his fault that Pacioretty can't convert a pass unless it lands perfectly on his stick. It's his fault that MT had a crush on DD and played him on the first line center position despite a 20 something pointless streak. It's his fault he can't make Shaw anything but a plug. It's his fault he sees 3 shifts in the 3rd period despite scoring a goal and being one the best players on ice that night. It's his fault Bergevin calls him out publicly in the media every off season and keeps floating his name in trade talks. It's his fault that he was rushed back after injury because the team sucked and needed his help.

I could go on and on but you're obviously not interested in facts, so carry on as you were.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Yes, it's his fault for not knowing how to play left wing when he's a center. It's his fault that Pacioretty can't convert a pass unless it lands perfectly on his stick. It's his fault that MT had a crush on DD and played him on the first line center position despite a 20 something pointless streak. It's his fault he can't make Shaw anything but a plug. It's his fault he sees 3 shifts in the 3rd period despite scoring a goal and being one the best players on ice that night. It's his fault Bergevin calls him out publicly in the media every off season and keeps floating his name in trade talks. It's his fault that he was rushed back after injury because the team sucked and needed his help.

I could go on and on but you're obviously not interested in facts, so carry on as you were.

Check your facts buddy the team had a record of 11-6-4 without him in the lineup last year.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
That's precisely how it is and how it has been by everyone harping on Galchenyuk in this thread. Pacioretty has escaped criticism for so long even by the coaching staff. He's always been a floater in the regular season and a ghost in the playoffs and yet he's named captain. Glachenyuk doesn't score in 1 game and gets immediately yanked from center position and placed on the wing with plugs, then we get people like you that come and call him out for what essentially is bad coaching and management.

Again, you are justifying galchenyuk's play by bringing pacioretty into the conversation. Seriously, you can make the same argument by inserting any winger into the conversation not named Paul Byron this year.

Anyways, what I said about him had nothing to do with his goal scoring production, so I'm not sure where that is coming from.

Contrary to what you might think, I actually hope for all the players to do well. I hope the next game is the one where I see galchenyuk, or any of the other key players turn things around. We both want to see the same thing happen, but I'm not going to sit here and make excuses for galchenyuk or anyone else on this club who can and need to be better.

By the way, regarding the captaincy, pacioretty was voted into the position by his peers. Now unless the vote was rigged or something, you can't take that away if that's the policy in place. I actually think it's a fair policy. There's lots to criticize about the management, but this is not one of the things I lay on them. Paciorettys performance is disappointing though and it's on pacioretty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad